Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Porters departure troubles Steeler players

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    They were "studs" in hindsight...

In 1992 when we lost Nickerson... I highly doubt fans considered rookie second round pick Chad Brown to be a lock to fill Hardy's shoes. He stepped in and made some plays, just like the guy that will follow Porter. In Brown's second year he had 122 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

I doubt Steeler Nation was convinced that third round pick Joey Porter from Colorado State would pick up the torch Gregg Lloyd dropped in 1997.

Who's to say they won't draft a guy that performs at high level? Who's to say that guy isn't already on the roster?
    I'm not saying a guy won't pick-up where Joey left off. But judging by what we have on the team now, it won't happen without a fantastic draft.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They were "studs" in hindsight...

In 1992 when we lost Nickerson... I highly doubt fans considered rookie second round pick Chad Brown to be a lock to fill Hardy's shoes. He stepped in and made some plays, just like the guy that will follow Porter. In Brown's second year he had 122 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

I doubt Steeler Nation was convinced that third round pick Joey Porter from Colorado State would pick up the torch Gregg Lloyd dropped in 1997.

Who's to say they won't draft a guy that performs at high level? Who's to say that guy isn't already on the roster?

Actually most fans knew that Chad Brown being a 2nd round pick and from what he displayed in the duty he got before he took the field as a starter opposite Kirkland, he was the logical successor.

Joey Porter was drafted and many thought he was a better LB than Jason Gildon was at the time. In previous years we took several LB's in the draft and Porter had a huge upside that once we saw him play we knew he'd be something special. I hated to see Lloyd leave, he's one of my all time favorites but Joey was ready.

James Harrison has shown flashes of brilliance but nothing that says this guy is going to play at a pro bowl level like his predecessor did, over time. Im not downplaying your argument BB2W , just saying that for the first time we let a LB go without a top young prospect waiting who's earned the right to take over.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-04-2007 at 12:24 PM.

You guys need to relax... someone will step in and make some plays. The Steelers have a formula that works.

I can't beleive as Steelers fans you're not used to losing good players and watching them be replaced by good players.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yes the Steelers have a formula that works because in the past we've seen what our guys have done and who's ready to step up. This year we're using that same formula minus the guy who's ready to step up.

I hope we do play well this year and Tomlin is the NFL coach of the year for 2007. I hope our defense is better than ever, Willie has 17 TD's and 1600 yds rushing, Hines has a Pro Bowl year and Holmes cements himself as a starter. I hope our ST play better than they did even in 2005. I hope that all happens but right now early indications are that we could be in a rocky start to 2007 which could have implications come December. It's anybody's guess at this point...

You guys need to relax... someone will step in and make some plays. The Steelers have a formula that works.

I can't beleive as Steelers fans you're not used to losing good players and watching them be replaced by good players.
    that whole formula is dated (we used to be able to draft a s. merriman type player in the 2nd or 3rd rounds).

cowher was the architect of that formula and both have been kicked to the curb.

with all the teams switching to the 3-4 and tomlin changing to a 4-3 the steelers formula for turning out linebackers like hotcakes has ran its course.

with hoak retiring we may not be able to turn out running backs as well either.

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    that whole formula is dated (we used to be able to draft a s. merriman type player in the 2nd or 3rd rounds).

cowher was the architect of that formula and both have been kicked to the curb.

with all the teams switching to the 3-4 and tomlin changing to a 4-3 the steelers formula for turning out linebackers like hotcakes has ran its course.

with hoak retiring we may not be able to turn out running backs as well either.
    The formula I was speaking of was how they let a lot of good players go that have already peaked rather than signing them to a big contract in the twilight of their career.

The formula I was speaking of was how they let a lot of good players go that have already peaked rather than signing them to a big contract in the twilight of their career.
    i thought you meant our formula of being "linebacker U". those days are gone. everyone has figured out that formula that we were so ahead of the curve on. 10 or so teams switching to our dominant 3-4 watered down the pool of prospects, so once again we are probably ahead of the curve by switching to a 4-3. these trends are cyclical in the nfl and its important to stay ahead rather than playing catch up.

as for the other formula, the steelers have strayed a bit and backloaded a ton of contracts to make a sb run that has abruptly ended after 1 year. i think the steelers realized they were heading down the wrong course towards salary cap hell and realized they needed to nip that **** in the bud. better to have 2 years of mediocrity than to fall off the map into suckdom like the 49ers have in the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    You can't really compare swimming to football....as a matter of fact...never do it again.
    No...I was a very competitve swimmer and I can tell you I could never compare that sport to football. Plus swimming is more of an individual sport and football is a team sport. There is a huge difference and the two can't be compared.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    Excuses Excuses, stats dont lie.
    Stats can be misleading. You can not rely on stats entirely.

I do agree. We will move on, but I think it will be a little harder this year than it has been in the past. We have always had people that could step up and fill the shoes of the players that we had lost. Also, we don't have the leadership Joey provided for us. Hopefully someone will step up to take that role, but like someone pointed out, no one stepped in to the Bus's role last year.

Thread Information