Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Porters departure troubles Steeler players

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    I just thought about this... anyone that played high school football knows what I'm talking about. Every year you lost your best players and biggest leaders, but the team moved on and someone stepped up.
    hell that extends beyond football to pretty much any competitive sport, I know its like that on my swim team. we lost the fastest swimmer in d3 to graduation and we finished 2 spots higher this year at states. The world isnt going to end because Porter isnt here
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    hell that extends beyond football to pretty much any competitive sport, I know its like that on my swim team. we lost the fastest swimmer in d3 to graduation and we finished 2 spots higher this year at states.
    Absolutely... my sophomore year we lost our quarterback who was a four year starter and the teams leader. He went on to play collage football at Kentucky-Weslyn. The guy that took over for him was my classmate who went to Vanderbilt and played for the Packers, Colts, and the Bills. My point is someone stepped up...
    Last edited by BB2W; 03-04-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    It seemed like the end of the world when they lost Nickerson, Brown, Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, etc. The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.
    Wow, finally a rational post, I thought I'd never read one in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Dude good post. Exactly growing up a Steelers fan in the free agency era like I did taught me how Pro Sports is a business. I used to get some upset seeing the players leave like the ones you named. Now I just know players/coaches come and they go but the Pittsburgh Steelers remain. I wish Joey Porter could have remained a Steelers but it didn't happen. Time to move on.
    Again, another smart post. The Steelers will rebound, someone else on the team will step up to fill his shoes.

Reppin' 724
    How about being tied for 34th in the league in sacks, a mind blowing 55 tackles, and 6 games with 2 or less tackles and two with 3 and 5 games with just 1 tackle. All in a system that is linebacker dominated. That ranks Porter last among the Steelers starting LB's Farrior had 128, Foote with 91, Haggans with 77. Porter ranked 9th on the Steelers in tackles. And he missed two games
    Porter has never had more than 88 tackles in a year, and has averaged about 58 per year. Porter has never had a lot of tackles. He is a guy who is getting doubled ...a lot. Once again, I don't know what season you were watching, but Joey actually had a better year "statistically" last year then he did in '04.

So by your thinking since he started to "slip" in '04, we should have gotten rid of him.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    Again, another smart post. The Steelers will rebound, someone else on the team will step up to fill his shoes.
    And it's smart b/c why? B/c it's the same "opinion" as yours? When we have lost other linebackers we have had guys waiting in the wings. We don't exactly have a young "stud" waiting to take Porters place. There is a reason this bugs people like Hines, Faneca, and Ben.

Reppin' 724
    hell that extends beyond football to pretty much any competitive sport, I know its like that on my swim team. we lost the fastest swimmer in d3 to graduation and we finished 2 spots higher this year at states. The world isnt going to end because Porter isnt here
    You can't really compare swimming to football....as a matter of fact...never do it again.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    Wow, finally a rational post, I thought I'd never read one in this thread.
    That's because you think no one is rational but you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    When we have lost other linebackers we have had guys waiting in the wings. We don't exactly have a young "stud" waiting to take Porters place.
    They were "studs" in hindsight...

In 1992 when we lost Nickerson... I highly doubt fans considered rookie second round pick Chad Brown to be a lock to fill Hardy's shoes. He stepped in and made some plays, just like the guy that will follow Porter. In Brown's second year he had 122 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

I doubt Steeler Nation was convinced that third round pick Joey Porter from Colorado State would pick up the torch Gregg Lloyd dropped in 1997.

Who's to say they won't draft a guy that performs at high level? Who's to say that guy isn't already on the roster?

Thread Information