Thread: Penguins are Crosby's team

Hybrid View

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar

Penguins are Crosby's team

With Lemieux gone, Penguins are clearly Crosby's team

PITTSBURGH (AP) -Now that Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux has retired again, the Pittsburgh Penguins are moving on behind another big star.

General manager Ray Shero and coach Michel Therrien must decide whether 19-year-old Sidney Crosby - the team's best player and the face of the franchise - should wear the "C" as the team captain at the Oct. 5 opener against Philadelphia.

Other possible choices include forwards Mark Recchi and John LeClair. But they are not the big scorers they once were, and both have spent most of their careers with other teams.

Crosby, making an unannounced appearance Tuesday at the Penguins youth camp, said he wouldn't turn down the "C" but won't campaign for it.

"If one day whoever makes that decision decides they'd like me to have it, it would be a huge honor," said Crosby, designated by Therrien as an alternate captain immediately after the coach was hired in December. "But, at the same time, it's something you have to earn. That's not something you take lightly. For me it's my second year, so it's not something you're thinking about. I'm working on improving myself as a player and a person, and that's all I really worry about."
    http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/08/278864.html

Good to hear that Crosby is ready to be a leader, even in only his second year. Jordan Staal and Evgeni Malkin will look up to him because of his success.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Addicted
    Crosby seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I wonder what he really thinks about playing for the Penguins and all the troubles the franchise has had?
    I hope they give him the "C". And then keep him for a long time. Could you imagine if they still had Jagr too?......lol

I dont know if I would want someone who has a reputation around the league of being a cry baby wearing the C. It should go to a veteran.
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Thread Information