Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porter: Cap Casualty or Power Move by Tomlin

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Porter: Cap Casualty or Power Move by Tomlin

http://news.steelers.com/article/74289/

That's the official article from steelers.com that we've all read by now Im sure but let's think about this for a minute. It was eluded too in Joey's official release thread and we all know Koopa blames Colbert because he's all up in Tomlin's jock

Seriously though, this can very well be more of a power move by Tomlin to lay down the law early with this team, let them know nobody is safe, it doesn't matter who you are. Sure Porter was controversial, that much is clear but the guy made plays, was a leader, and dedicated teammate to the end who always had the back of his fellow black n gold players.

It's not uncommon for a new coach to come in, especially one who's not well known and doesn't have any HC experience to step up early and make a move to signify that's he's here and in charge whether we as fans like it or not. If Tomlin really wanted Joey and felt like he was a vital part of this teams success in his (Tomlins') eyes, then it doesn't matter what the cap says, Joey would still be here and he'd have gotten his bonus or a new contract by now. The fact is that Colbert is calling this a cap move, which it may very well be to some extent, but IMO this is more of Tomlin asserting himself and trying to head off any controversy before it starts, in his new regime.

Gold Standard

Some good may still come of this!

If Joey had to be the sacrificial lamb to give us the salary cap to sign Troy and Alan Faneca to new deals? So be it! 5 million against the salary cap this year for Joey would have been too much! And there were no indications from Porter that he would have been willing to take less in a restructured deal! Lets wait until all the chips fall before casting our judgements!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nobody is casting judgements, Im just stating that there's more to this than meets the eye with Colbert saying it was definitely cap related. There's articles and commentary all over the media stating both sides of the story that is cap related or that it was a move of just going in another direction. Joey could count 10 million against the cap but if Tomlin really wanted him that bad, he'd still be here, that's all Im saying. It's still up in the air if this was a good move for us to make. Personally I don't believe it was necessary to cut Joey but thats JMO, some agree with it and some don't so we'll see as 2007 unfolds and beyond how our LB's pan out for us.

Releasing being right or wrong is up for debate as we've been doing all night last night and now into the morning and long after today Im sure, but it's a fact that we could have been under the cap with Joey's money already figured in, and releasing him got us further under the cap and gave us more room yes, but we didn't need to release him to get under it in the first place. Again let's make it clear here that for me, Im not saying I dislike Tomlin for this move whatsoever, Im hoping and praying he is the coach we all want him to be and are counting on him to be and I'll support the Steelers no matter who is on the field for them, I just don't agree with the move of releasing him.

I want Troy, Kreider, and Faneca signed as much as anyone, they are most definitely a top priority this offseason for us.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-02-2007 at 09:01 AM.

I have to sadly say that it was the right thing to do. he was a good player, but he would have cost an awful lot, and we need to remeber, this is Tomlin's team. I would say that no matter who was the coach though, we would have been released. i wish him luck, and cant wait till september.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

I would pass on Faneca too. Again its going to be a tough decision.

It's hard to believe that Tomlin is trying to make a statement... When LB's start to get up here in age and it seems they have reached their peak the Steelers always cut them. The Steelers are pretty good about knowing when a player is on the downside and rather than try and keep them around they just let them go. Porter will end up playing somewhere else and we'll see that the right move was made. Don't take this wrong because I like Porter just as much as the next guy but it really had to be done.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We've let a ton of LB's go after the last 15 years and generally it's worked out well in the long term for us because we've always had able bodies ready to take over, but in this case I think Porter should have stuck around with us since Haggans is sub par and Harrison is always hurt. We'll see what happens

Power move? Man I don't care what you guys call it, I've been around long enough to know that this so called Tomlin statement only shows that he has much to learn about the kind of players it takes to play and win Steeler Football.
    I've looked at his record and the kind of wins he had and I'll tell you right now it's going to take him four years to catch up with the level us real fans know and expect. Hell, if the tight *** steelers didn't want to go with the coaches that we had, then why didn't they find someone from the college ranks.
    I'll give odds that this pretender Tomlin won't last five years.
    The Steeler TV stock suffered last year and one more bad start and us guys outside of the Pittsburgh area will only be able to watch them a few times a year.
    I wonder sometimes if the Steeler Brass knows just how many Steeler fans they have that live outside of the Pittsburgh area. A cut down in the national game broadcast will effect a whole mess of young kids that will be buying other teams jerseys

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    We talked about this last night Top and we were on the same page that Tomlin probably played a part in Porter being cut. But thats what HC's do. They decisions based on what they feel is best for the team. I don't blame Colbert or Tomlin. Its just part of the business of Pro Football.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    yeah I was thinking about this last night when I was trying to fall asleep, which by the way didn't work out too well

It's part of the business, Porter was not the first nor will he be the last, but it sure sux when it happens none the less.

Thread Information