Thread: Training Camp Notebook: Parker to be goal-line back, at least for now

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Training Camp Notebook: Parker to be goal-line back, at least for now

well, lets see if willie can be the player i know he isn't, and that's a load carrier.....and i hope carter doesn't win the starting job, i don't want a midget starting at saftey

and they need to get off that wr throwing b.s., they act like it was a major part of our offense. they are making me sick with all the talk about that ****

Thursday, August 24, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Other than reveal that two of his more important 30-year-olds, wide receiver Hines Ward and cornerback Deshea Townsend, will not play tomorrow night in Philadelphia because of injuries, coach Bill Cowher was chock full of news and insights during what could be his final news conference ever from Saint Vincent College yesterday.

The highlights:

Willie Parker will stay in the game when the Steelers near the goal line, at least to start the season. There will be no Jerome Bettis-like role this season unless somehow Verron Haynes or Duce Staley prove they can fill it. So far, they have not done that.

"If somebody starts to surface and becomes that guy, as the season goes on I wouldn't rule it out," Cowher said. "But I can't say right now there's been one person like there was with Jerome. And I don't think that's a bad thing. That's the way it was last year. This year's a different year."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06236/715925-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't like Willie being the goal line back. He is quick but is not a power back. All this leads me to believe is BC is going to a quicker and thus, pass happy offense and I don't like it one bit. Last time we did this crap we were lucky to go 6-10. We don't have the secondary to play the quick strike game. Not to mention that most goal line D's will knock Willie on his butt.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    but there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference in the 03 team and this team. and that's big ben. maddox was and always will be garbage. that's why we went 6-10. ben can do it. plus we got better wrs, we got a good back that can do good in an open offense like that. i rather go that route. the running **** just bores the hell out of me and has never won us a thing but regular season wins. we were pass first run second in the playoffs and we won it all.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Running backs take alot of punishment during the season. Willie is not a goalline back.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

As I stated in another post on SA, Parker is kind of "iffy" when it comes to lowering his shoulder and shedding that first would be tackler. He's definitely not a Bus or Staley and usually goes down on that initial first hit.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If BC does try and pull a stunt like he did a few years ago where we throw all over creation all the time, the results are not going to be good. We're not built to be a team that passes to set up the run...we run to setup the pass.

The chargers let LT carry the load almost all the time so maybe BC is hoping Willie can be that everydown type of back with some more experience under his belt.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm sure he can be an every down back. I just don't think he will do us much good down at the goal line where his speed won't really help him as much. That and he is small as RB's go.

Thread Information