Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Not looking good for Joey Porter!

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Not looking good for Joey Porter!

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Feb 28, 2007

Free agency begins Thursday night at 12o’clock and the Steelers are freeing up money to become a player. But can they free up enough money to buy a starting linebacker? They’ll probably need one. Read below.

The renegotiation of Aaron Smith was just a tip of the iceberg for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who are busy in negotiations with all of their potential 2008 free agents ... except Joey Porter.
    Porter's status with the team is becoming more uncertain with each passing day. In fact, team officials now doubt that Porter will be with the team in 2007.

Porter has given the Steelers no indication he’ll accept the terms of the final year of his contract, which calls for a salary of $4 million. Unless Porter or his agent provide such information to the Steelers, the team will refuse to pay him the $1 million roster bonus he’s due and in effect will release him.

That's the dilemma the Steelers face on the eve of the fiscal new year. Free agency begins March 2 and it appears the Steelers will have some money -- thanks to the renegotiation of Smith's contract -- to pursue a new linebacker, or maybe even a running back, defensive lineman or tight end.

The Steelers have depth problems at those positions and will begin searching for those answers on Friday. They can plug some holes by resigning their own free-agent backups, such as running back Najeh Davenport and safety Tyrone Carter, but it’s unlikely the team will bring back defensive lineman Rodney Bailey. Nor, it was indicated, are they interested in recently released New York Jets defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen, the former Steeler.

The only starter involved in free agency Friday will be right tackle Max Starks, who, a source confirmed, will be offered a restricted free agent tender of either $1.8 million or $1.3 million. The former would require compensation of a first-round pick should the Steelers not match an offer, and the latter – a new option in restricted free agency – would require a second-round pick as compensation.

As for Porter, his problems with the Steelers began just before training camp in 2006 when then-coach Bill Cowher convinced him to report on time because he had two years left on his deal. After a sub-par season – by his standards -- and another knee surgery, Porter enters what would be the final year of his contract as a 30-year-old on a team that new Coach Mike Tomlin is looking to shape into his own image.

It should be remembered that Cowher, at his first training camp, cut the previous year’s first-round draft choice, Huey Richardson, and the move symbolically separated the new regime from the old. Porter, it appears, is making himself the sacrificial lamb for Tomlin.
    I was really hoping Porter would return to us at least for his final year! If he leaves that opens up a huge hole not only at OLB but who will be the emotional leader of the defense? Stay tuned............
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

well they better plan on drafting a replacement....say ummm, ANTHONY SPENCER

I'd much rather they get rid of Haggans and keep Peezy. Peezy is just as good or better than Haggans, and he provides the kind of emotional leadership that Haggans doesn't. If Porter is gone, they better draft someone, AND I want Adalius Thomas!

Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Max will get the 1.8 million dollar tender which will make it a lot eaiser to keep him in the black n gold because nobody is going to give up a first round pick for him which is what we'll get if we don't match the offer.

He's good, but he's not worth a 1st rounder to anyone IMO.

This really pisses me off about Joey damnit ! The dude is one of my favorite all time Steelers, I can't believe he may not be back. Im still holding out hope.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    I'd much rather they get rid of Haggans and keep Peezy. Peezy is just as good or better than Haggans, and he provides the kind of emotional leadership that Haggans doesn't. If Porter is gone, they better draft someone, AND I want Adalius Thomas!

Adalius Thomas is a good player but remember he is close to 30 as well. He will be out of the Steelers price range especially considering his age.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I was reading about Smith getting re-signed, I figured that would free up some cap money to get Porter back.
    The deal, the largest ever given out by the team, will keep the eight-year NFL veteran with the Steelers through 2011. The 6-5, 298-pound Smith was scheduled to earn $4.5 million in salary in 2007. He was also scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus at the beginning of March.

But it’s likely the new deal will lower Smith’s 2007 base salary dramatically while also turning that $1 million bonus into a signing bonus that can be extended over the length of his new deal.

Such a move could free up at least $2 million from the team’s $109 million salary cap for 2007, putting the Steelers roughly $5 million under the cap heading into free agency.

Smith’s signing also frees up some needed space for the Steelers to pay other roster bonuses due in March, including the $1 million bonuses that linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca are scheduled to receive. Other players due roster bonuses include cornerback Ike Taylor, who will receive $300,000, and left tackle Marvel Smith and running back Willie Parker, both of whom are due $250,000.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Still believe they will draft a CB in the 1st round?

If this is true and Joey is truly gone? That should leave no doubt that the Steelers go with a DE/OLB in the 1st! This is not good news IMO! Porter was the emotional leader of our defense! Joey was to this defense what Jack Lambert was to the Steel Curtain D........the heart! While players might be plug and play........leaders are not! Spencer cannot fill Porters shoes as the leader of the defense........he'll be learning it! Sad day for Steeler fans if you asked me!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's not like we wouldnt have the 1 million to give to Porter. I mean why not give him his 1 million bonus and then try and resign him before FA 2008?

Reppin' 724
    Joey is as good as gone...I bought an authentic jersey last summer of his...I figured he would have died before the season started....I apologize everyone.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Joey is as good as gone...I bought an authentic jersey last summer of his...I figured he would have died before the season started....I apologize everyone.
    You are NOT allowed to buy any more players jersey's.

Thread Information