Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If we have a second 3rd round pick: Offense or Defense?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Gold Standard

If we have a second 3rd round pick: Offense or Defense?

We don't know yet what supplemental picks we will get. If we get another day 1 pick, should it be on the offensive side of the ball or defensive? Lets say we have already picked the following players:

1. Anthony Spencer/DE-OLB
    2. Justin Blalock/OL
    3. Michael Bush/RB
    3a. ?

I like another wide out here! Steve Smith from USC could be a nice fit. The scouting report on him is pretty good. He played in Jarrett's shadow but this kid had some HUGE games. Ran a 4.37 40 in the combine. If Bruce Arians is serious about playing some more spread offenses we will need more depth at WR! Opinions?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    We don't know yet what supplemental picks we will get. If we get another day 1 pick, should it be on the offensive side of the ball or defensive? Lets say we have already picked the following players:

2. Justin Blalock/OL
    3. Michael Bush/RB
    3a. ?

I like another wide out here! Steve Smith from USC could be a nice fit. The scouting report on him is pretty good. He played in Jarrett's shadow but this kid had some HUGE games. Ran a 4.37 40 in the combine. If Bruce Arians is serious about playing some more spread offenses we will need more depth at WR! Opinions?
    Smith is a good player. Wouldn't mind that if the Steelers get an extra 3rd round pick. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Steve Breaston also. His return skills would make Breaston an interesting pick. Just case if Reid is hurt again.

Gold Standard

Another possibilty with 3a could be CB

With all the talk of Colclough being expendable another option at CB might be a good pick here. I would look for a guy wth boatloads of speed here. Size is overated here! Asante Samuel who I consider a premier cover corner is only 5'10 185lbs. I would like to see us grab another CB in this draft. Not someone who is going to be projected as a starter but someone with raw skills who we could bring along and could play some nickel and dime packages!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    You can never have enough corners and with Colclough basically showing nothing since he has been in the NFL. I think a corner should be drafted sometime in this draft.

Gold Standard

WR could also be looked at for CB's

What are corners if they are not wideouts with bad hands? Lots of smaller speedy wideouts who could be converted to corner and also be special teamers! Coaches like to say, some things can't be coached "SPEED" being one of them!

Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-25-2007 at 02:35 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We need to grab 1 WR in this draft at some point, and as long as we address our needs at OL, LB, and RB, then I'm all for using late day 1 pick on a WR.

As far as DB goes:

Troy, Ike, Bryant, Tryone, Ryan, Deshea, Anthony are all going to be the main guys getting playing time in various packages, so a CB coming in that we could use a project might not be a bad idea, but most of those guys I listed are young and will be around for awhile so unless an injury happens we won't need to rush him into playing.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post

2. Justin Blalock/OL
    3. Michael Bush/RB
    3a. ?

Steve Smith is a scrappy, gutsy WR. He catches everything thrown his way including the ones he has to fight for. I seen him run a 4.35-40 on his 2nd attempt. I'm still waiting on the WR shuttle results, that counts alot as far as stop and go's and changing routes.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-25-2007 at 09:19 PM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Also as far as a possible 3a pick, thats going to be tough, depending on who we get and believe me if we get those 3 you listed I'll be tickled. I say go for a WR or CB. Like you mentioned in another thread if we get Spencer he'll make our secondary better with his pass rushing skills. Thats the thing that screwed our secondary last season, No Pass Rush. So in that case lets pick up a WR. I like Bowe (6'3"-4.46-40), Rice (6'4"-4.41-40) and Meachem (6'3"-4.42-40)

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Bowe, Rice and Meachem are all possible 1st rounder...rice has slipped a bit but still. Meachem and Bowe are animals, theyare gone in the 1st, Smith is good and was completely over shadowed at southern cal, gonzalas is also a solid 3rd round WR who was shadowed completely by Ginn. I think Spencer is our first rounder, and i still want a RB with our second, Bush being my first pick the a toss up between leonard and hunt who have both impressed me a ton

Gold Standard

RB with 2nd pick a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think Spencer is our first rounder, and i still want a RB with our second, Bush being my first pick the a toss up between leonard and hunt who have both impressed me a ton
    If we went RB in the 2nd round there would still be lots of great ones left! If they have their eye on a O-lineman that they think will still be there in the 3rd that could be the way to go! A WR with a 3a pick would be sweet but lots of the ones you mentioned will already be gone. I still like Smith from USC. Good speed and a clutch pass receiver. Scouts say he has a knack of making huge catches in traffic.......I like that attribute! Picking a RB in the 2nd would bring Hunt back in play! He could very well be there at the 47th spot. Last year Marcus McNeil was picked in the 3rd round! He ended up in the Pro-bowl!

Thread Information