Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Townsend keeps his job by fighting off Mcfadden

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06234/715278-66.stm

Townsend able to hold onto right cornerback spot
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The competition, if there ever was any, to become the Steelers' right cornerback has ended. It goes to the man who held the office the past 2 1/2 seasons.

Young Bryant McFadden, who kept the Steelers' road to the Super Bowl alive with a slap to a Peyton Manning pass, did not so much fail to unseat Deshea Townsend, 30, as those efforts this summer reaffirmed just how good the veteran plays the position.

McFadden, entering his second season, is the kind of cornerback the Steelers have long sought -- young, fast, aggressive, around the ball and hard to beat. Yet they have just such a cornerback in Townsend. On many Steelers teams of the past, McFadden would be a starter, but not on this one.

"It's going to be hard to beat out Deshea," secondary coach Darren Perry said, diplomatically, yesterday.

It took the Steelers 5 1/2 seasons after they drafted Townsend in the fourth round to discover him. That's when their No. 3 cornerback finally earned a shot at starting, in the middle of the 2003 season when he replaced an injured Chad Scott at left cornerback. He remained there once Scott returned to health, then moved to right cornerback in 2004 after Dewayne Washington was released.

The competition that was supposed to surface at right cornerback this summer may have ended in mid-March, when the Steelers talked Townsend away from the New England Patriots. Townsend, an unrestricted free agent for less than a week, sat in the office of Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli for two hours talking, with a New England contract and a pen sitting on the desk before him.

Just goes to show how important Deshea really is. McFadden is up and coming and he'll be the starter in the future but Townsend wasn't going down without a fight and seems to have won his job back.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    it's good to have competition going for a spot. so we'll have good depth, and mcfadden will get his chance to shine next year. when he'll win it for good.......unless he becomes a bitch and leaves lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I'm really confident with either player in there but if McFadden has to wait another year or two then thats great because he'll just want to play even more when he gets his chance to start.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT23
    I'm really confident with either player in there but if McFadden has to wait another year or two then thats great because he'll just want to play even more when he gets his chance to start.
    He will stay

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's nice to see we have so many good people at CB. It's great to see Deshea fighting. I'm sure that will drive McFadden that much more.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I still wouldn't be surprised to see McFadden take the job by the end of the year. Nothing against Townsend, just think McFadden is going to be really good.

Stuck in damned cincinnati ..Raised in western pa
    compatition is always good ,keeps them on their toes

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert, 1990 HOF Induction Speech

I really like the Steelers depth on both corners. I was watching the Steelers Cardinals game last night and Ricardo was all over the field in the second half and really looked good too. I still prefer the veteran, Townsend, over the new guy, not sure why.

I think the Steelers handle their rooks and second year players the best in the league though. They don't through them out to the lions and say learn it, they are given more and more as time goes by.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    On third down McFadden will be on the outside and then DeShea will slide into the nickel spot. Got love the depth the Steelers have at the corner spot.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    I like what I'm hearing. DeShea still has a competitve Edge in him. That will play big this year for the Steelers. And it's also good to see if he goes down that he also has a decent back up ready to go.

Thread Information