Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers must work to make most of top pick in draft

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers must work to make most of top pick in draft

Like finding a needle in a haystack.
    Somewhere, among the 300-plus college players attending the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, is the Steelers' first-round draft pick.
    That much we do know. Along with what we don't know.
    In fact, what we don't know right now is more than what we do know.

We do know the Steelers need help at several positions, mostly on defense.
    A fire-breathing, pass-rushing defensive end such Clemson's Gaines Adams or Arkansas' Jamaal Anderson would be nice, but both will be gone before the Steelers select with the 15th pick. If the Steelers want to draft a defensive end in the first round, they might have to dip down in the talent pool for Florida's Jarvis Brown or Nebraska's Adam Carriker.
    But since the Steelers don't often draft so high in the first round, they shouldn't reach for a player to fill a specific need, especially when they have other needs, and there are enough quality players in the draft who can address those needs.
    If the Steelers don't select a defensive end in the first round, their next best option might be to take an athletic outside linebacker who can pressure the quarterback, drop into coverage and stuff the run. In other words, a smaller but more talented version of those top-of-the-line defensive ends who will be off the board at No. 15.
    Make no mistake, the top-rated defensive ends will be taken before the best outside linebackers in this year's draft. That could result in the Steelers choosing between Florida State's Lawrence Timmons and Penn State's Paul Posluszny.
    Both players' 40 times at the Combine will be monitored closely. Timmons, who has a greater upside than Posluszny, is generally considered to be the top outside linebacker in the draft. Posluszny may be the more cerebral player, but Timmons' big-play potential and Florida State's recent reputation for producing NFL linebackers makes him more valuable and more attractive to the Steelers.
    The Steelers have other first-round options, which include the offensive line, but the Steelers should draft a lineman only if mammoth Penn State tackle Levi Brown is available. Brown is a projected top-10 pick who would trump any defensive needs the Steelers may have.
    Wide receiver is another first-round option for the Steelers. It is one of the deepest positions in the draft. That's good news for the Steelers, who are targeting a tall, big-play pass-catcher.
    However, with the exception of Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson -- who will be long gone before the Steelers make their selection -- there isn't a receiver talented enough for the team to overlook a position of greater need. No matter. There will still be plenty of good receivers available in the second round.
    Don't expect the Steelers to draft a cornerback like Pitt's Darrelle Revis in the first round. Taking Revis doesn't make sense for the financially prudent Steelers, who signed cornerback Ike Taylor to a long-term contract last year and are expected to re-sign Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu this offseason.
    With Taylor and Polamalu in the fold, it's unlikely the Steelers will pay first-round money for a rookie cornerback coming to a team where rookie cornerbacks traditionally play very little. Not to mention the fact that it's a weak year for cornerbacks.
    Besides, the Steelers need a defensive end or outside linebacker more than they need a cornerback, even if he is a local kid.
    Sorry if this has been post already,I did check

Levi Brown
    Lawrence Timmons
    Paul Posluszny

Three guys pointed out in above article that don't realy sound bad from what i read about them. But, it just seems a little high for Paul Posluszny to go 15th. But, a Good pick, should the Steelers decide to trade down.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    No WR's in the first round, and no DB's in the first round, ugh ! In fact I think it's a fair assumption that no DB's will taken on day 1 and I can't us taking a WR until atleast the 3rd round at the earliest, IMO.

Seems more and more people are saying what we are saying. LB/DE in the first first round. Personally as long as it's LB/DE and OL in the first 2 rounds that's my main goal is to get our top draft picks to help us in the areas of need first; but without having to be reaching for a project.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I'll be the 1st to admit I don't watch much College but who's Jarvis Brown
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

If Calvin Johnson or Ginn Jr are available when the Steelers pick I would jump all over one of these two and snag them especially if Arians (or whatever his name is) wants to run a spread offense!

I highly doubt that Johnson will bet here but the possibility of Ginn is very likely

I have no idea who those guys are Capt...

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    If Calvin Johnson or Ginn Jr are available when the Steelers pick I would jump all over one of these two and snag them especially if Arians (or whatever his name is) wants to run a spread offense!

I highly doubt that Johnson will bet here but the possibility of Ginn is very likely

I have no idea who those guys are Capt...
    Someone else can have Ginn, i rather wait for day 2 to snag a WR(which we do need) because outside Ward and Holmes We have NO depth.
    my 1st day hopefuls would be to address Def. ecspecially if they decide to let Porter go. Also depending how they decide to play it out, we could get a decent player in all three rounds
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I'll be the 1st to admit I don't watch much College but who's Jarvis Brown
    I'm pretty sure he was talkin about Jarvis Moss from Florida.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If we took a WR in the first round I think I'd fall over.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If we took a WR in the first round I think I'd fall over.

Outside of Holmes and Ward. We are not deep at WR. I can see us going WR in round one or two.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Outside of Holmes and Ward. We are not deep at WR. I can see us going WR in round one or two.
    Man you must be drinking
    -unknown

House of Steel
    Reid and Washington are on the depth chart, dumbass. I swear you need to lay off the bottle idiot.

Thread Information