Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock on Steeler potential picks

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Mike Mayock on Steeler potential picks

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Feb 23, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS – Move over Mel Kiper, there’s a new draft expert in town. His name is Mike Mayock and he’s played the game and actually watches the college prospects on coaches’ tape.

Mayock has become the new superstar in draft reporting and he recently held a conference call with the combine reporters.
    Here are some of Mayock’s comments that pertain to prospects who interest the Steelers:

• “My take on Paul Posluszny is he might not be as explosive. He might be narrow through the hips, all these things they take shots on him for. But when you put the tape on, the kid makes plays all over the field. I think one of those playoff teams, somewhere 22 through 32 in the first round, I think one of those playoff teams is going to say, ‘Wow, he’s a tough kid, smart kid, he flies all over the field and he can come in and play for us.’”

• “(Amobi Okoye) weighed in at 287 pounds, which was really light at the Senior Bowl. That was down about 15 or 18 pounds. He was the quickest I had ever seen him. I graded him on tape as a second-round pick. At the Senior Bowl, he’s a first-round kid. I know a lot of teams that think he’s a top-15 type player.”

• “(Leon Hall) is my top-rated corner right now. I think the kid that’s going to blow up (at the combine) is Chris Houston from Arkansas. Leon Hall, I think he’s got a good burst, tremendous change of direction. The question has been his recovery speed and his long speed. My spies where he’s working out right now tell me he’s going to surprise people and run worst-case scenario low 4.4s.”

• “(After Gaines Adams at defensive end) Then you get Jarvis Moss from Florida. He’s highly athletic, can rush the quarterback, not real strong at the point of attack but (is) the second-most athletic defensive end in the draft. I’ve got Adam Carriker from Nebraska as my No. 3 because I think he can match up in any defense. He can play a 3-4 defense as a defensive end; he can play in a 4-3 as either a base end or even kick inside the tackle. Then there’s Jamaal Anderson from Arkansas. Some people think he’s a top-five or top-10 pick. I see some inconsistencies in his game. His motor isn’t there all the time. The guy that’s dropped the furthest is Quentin Moses from Georgia. He was supposed to be a top-five pick. Right now people are wondering if he’s even a first-round pick. I think there are some really good football players in the second round, like (Victor) Abiamiri from Notre Dame, Tim Crowder. Anthony Spencer from Purdue is a bit of a tweener. He’s one of the top two or three pass-rushers in this draft.”

• “The guy I think is going to surprise people this week is Chris Houston. I mentioned him earlier. He completely shut down Dwayne Jarrett from USC. He’s the best press cover corner probably in this draft.”

• “I don’t think Dwayne Jarrett has the skills today to get off the line of scrimmage against quality NFL corners. … I’ve heard some rumors he’s running poorly and won’t test himself this week.”

• “I like Steve Smith from USC. I like him better than Dwayne Jarrett. I also like (Anthony) Gonzalez from Ohio State. I think they’re going to be solid NFL players.”

• “Reggie Nelson is kind of a borderline late one, early two. He makes plays. I think there’s some question about his long speed. He can be as smooth as some of the elite safeties that go in the first round. What he does this week is important.”

• “I think (Antonio Pittman) should have stayed another year. I think he’s probably going to be a mid to late second-round pick. He’s a really good football player. What he has to prove is that he can be a three-down back, that he’s strong enough, physical enough, tough enough that he can play on all downs as opposed to a change-of-pace back where your value isn’t as good.”

• “(Lamarr Woodley) is a little bit of a tweener. They will ask him to stand up and do some linebacker drills along with the Spencer kid from Purdue. They’ll be the two highest profile kids of the defensive ends who are going to be asked to stand up and play some outside linebacker. If he can run 4.6 at his size, that would be tremendous. What’s going to be more important is how he moves in the linebacker drills. I think he’s going to be a solid second-round kid. It just depends whether it’s a 4-3 team or a 3-4 team.”

• “I have Tony Hunt higher than most people. He’s my No. 3 running back. I have him in the second round, and then I have Brian Leonard in the second round.”
    If these are really some of the names that the Steelers are looking at then I would say that we are not as far off as I thought on some of our predictions! Many of these names are guys who we have discussed at length here at SA!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Just waiting for them to say ,,,,,,,at the #15 pick the pittsburgh steelers select OKOYE

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I could see Belichick taking a guy like Puz... Hell I'd like for us to have him but the Pats would do well to take a guy like this, he's a scrapper.

“My take on Paul Posluszny is he might not be as explosive. He might be narrow through the hips, all these things they take shots on him for. But when you put the tape on, the kid makes plays all over the field. I think one of those playoff teams, somewhere 22 through 32 in the first round, I think one of those playoff teams is going to say, ‘Wow, he’s a tough kid, smart kid, he flies all over the field and he can come in and play for us.’”

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by BLITZBURGH NATION View Post
    Just waiting for them to say ,,,,,,,at the #15 pick the pittsburgh steelers select OKOYE
    You can bet if I hear those words I will be opening a cold one and celebrating!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

can you say....anthony spencer

Gold Standard

None of us would be upset if we heard that name either!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    can you say....anthony spencer
    Have not heard a single negative word about Spencer! Would be great to see him in Black&Gold!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Bring the draft dammit!!! lol Man oh man I can't wait to see who we pick. You're absolutely right BlackGold4vr, most of these guys we've discussed here, some of them in depth. Hmmm.....you think we know what we're talkin about? lol

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Bring the draft dammit!!! lol Man oh man I can't wait to see who we pick. You're absolutely right BlackGold4vr, most of these guys we've discussed here, some of them in depth. Hmmm.....you think we know what we're talkin about? lol
    I think this board knows what it's talking about more than most experts think they know

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I could see Belichick taking a guy like Puz... Hell I'd like for us to have him but the Pats would do well to take a guy like this, he's a scrapper.
    I agree, I like the kid, but dont see him fitting in here

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I loved watching him at PSU, the dude was all over the field and always making plays. He's as tough as they come. He'd be a reach at the 15th pick IMO but if we were picking later in the first round I wouldnt mind seeing him on this team. Alot of mocks have him rated later in the first round instead of higher because of his recent injury, and being on the smaller side but that's just the kind of guy Belichick likes so who knows.

Thread Information