Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith's agent says talks with Bears have broken down

Bookmark and Share

Smith's agent says talks with Bears have broken down

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2774459
    Barring what Lovie Smith's agent calls an "unforseen breakthrough," the Chicago Bears coach expects to return for the 2007 season without a new contract.

Smith
    Frank Bauer, Smith's agent, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that talks between the team and coach were at a "stalemate."

"We're not close, we're not encouraged and based on where talks have gone recently, Lovie will be a free agent after next season," Bauer said on Wednesday night.

Smith has one year remaining on his original contract. He was the league's lowest-paid coach at $1.35 million in 2006 and will remain No. 32 on the paylist at $1.45 million in '07.

Smith suspended contract talks shortly before the playoffs when he led the Bears to their first Super Bowl appearance since 1985 after a 13-3 regular season. Negotiations picked up shortly after the Bears lost to the Colts in the championship game, but Bauer said there were significant gaps on the contract terms between management and the coach.

"It would take an unforseen breakthrough for this to get done," Bauer said. "And we are being more than reasonable in this market."

Coaches that have taken their teams to the Super Bowl, even in a losing effort, are making at least $5 million per year, such as Carolina's John Fox.

The Ravens just signed Brian Billick to a four-year extension. The deal, with one year left on his current contract, is valued at $28.5 million over the next five years, a league source said.

Chris Mortensen is an NFL analyst for ESPN.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

That would be something if the Bears FO let Smith walk as well!!!

I don't understand what's going on there in Chicago but it doesn't make sense. You would think you would want to return as many players and coaches from a team that made it the Super Bowl!

House of Steel
    Rivera isn't being retained, that show Lovie Smith had differences with him. I wonder if the Bears are punishing Smith for letting Rivera go? I heard they didn't see eye to eye. The Bears are strange anymore.

The whole situation is strange.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Reppin' 724
    This is a shame...Lovie is a pretty good coach...except for his Rex Grossman decisions.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The ****ing Bears just need to pay Lovie. He is the lowest paid HC in the whole NFL. Just show Lovie the money.lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Rivera isn't being retained, that show Lovie Smith had differences with him. I wonder if the Bears are punishing Smith for letting Rivera go? I heard they didn't see eye to eye. The Bears are strange anymore.
    no it doesn't, it shows what lovie said, that he needs to get someone there that will be there longer then a year, he knows rivera will be a head coach in 2008 and no point in bringing him back and then having to start over later, might as well do it now

the bears are dumb, just pay lovie, he's shown he's a good coach, he took a crappy team and made them in to nfc champs, wtf more do you want???
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Gold Standard

Denny Green still available.....

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    The bears are dumb, just pay lovie, he's shown he's a good coach, he took a crappy team and made them in to nfc champs, wtf more do you want???

Resigning Lovie should be a no brainer! Should they lose him after next season and fall from their lofty perch.......Bear fans would not be very happy with the management! Show Lovie the money!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    no it doesn't, it shows what lovie said, that he needs to get someone there that will be there longer then a year, he knows rivera will be a head coach in 2008 and no point in bringing him back and then having to start over later, might as well do it now
    Rivera will not be a head coach in 2008. His star has fallen.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Rivera will not be a head coach in 2008. His star has fallen.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard coming out your filthy mouth.

Thread Information