Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manning restructures deal

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724

Manning restructures deal

For everyone out there....no matter how you feel about Manning....

Manning agrees to restructure contract

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
    February 21, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Peyton Manning has agreed to restructure his contract with the Indianapolis Colts to save the team nearly $8 million in salary cap space.

The Super Bowl MVP was to receive a $10 million roster bonus during the offseason but by converting the money into a regular signing bonus, the Colts can prorate that amount over the remaining four years of his deal. That saves Indianapolis space under the cap, which is $109 million.

The restructuring was disclosed to The Associated Press on Wednesday by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been signed.

Colts spokesman Craig Kelley said the team had no comment.

Manning signed a $98 million contract in March 2004, the season after he shared the league's MVP award with Steve McNair.

He followed that with a record-setting 2004 season in which he threw 49 touchdown passes and earned his second straight league MVP award.

In 2005, Manning guided the Colts to a 13-0 record and the AFC's No. 1 seed before losing in the divisional round of the playoffs to eventual Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh.

But this season, Manning showed more patience in throwing short and relying on his ground game, using that combination to bring the Colts their first Super Bowl title since moving to Indianapolis in 1984.

Manning has led the Colts to seven playoff appearances in nine seasons, including five straight under coach Tony Dungy, and after breaking John Unitas' franchise record for completions last season is closing in on Unitas' other career records for passing attempts, yardage and touchdowns.

Updated on Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 1:37 pm EST

Last edited by TEEMONT; 02-22-2007 at 11:36 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Damn, that must really suck to have to get an extra 10 million up front in a prorated signing bonus !

Tell me about it... I need to see about getting my contract restructured like that too!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Yup, I'll take 2 mill a year for 5 years instead. Just sign me up!.....lol

My Mood
    Chatty
    I'm not a big Peyton fan but I think that says alot about his character. That's a team player for sure and very rare. Just hearing that makes me respect him more, can't help it. He does seem to care about that team.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    For all of you Manning haters out there.......
    Dude I'm starting to worry about you. I think you should change your user name to Peyton Manning#1.

As for Golden Boy he isn't the first player to rework his contract and he won't be the last. Plus he has a **** load of money as it is already. Excuse me why I don't cry Peyton a ****ing river. This kind of **** is exactly why I don't like Peyton since every little move he makes Colts fans act like he is Jesus Christ.

I gave him credit he got the job and he became a champ. Congrats to him and the Colts team. But I'm not going to kiss Peyton's *** or give him credit for knowing the Colts to be a contendar every year they're going to need cap room.

Look at players like Aaron Smith, Alan Faneca and other Steelers players have reworked their contracts as well to give the Steelers cap room. Its just part of the business of Pro Football anymore.

**** manning lol

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Anytime a player signs for a big contract and sees the big numbers at the end he should know its going to be restructured. If he hadn't restructured they would not be able to sign some of their top FA's. They already franchised Freeney so Peyton didn't really have a choice in restructuring especially if he wanted to keep the D somewhat intact.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Dude I'm starting to worry about you. I think you should change your user name to Peyton Manning#1.
    Why, because I am not a blind homer like most Steelers fans? I call it like I see it, plain and simple. Manning is something that is good about the game of football (except for those painfully long audibles). Nothing said he HAD to rework his contract. He has his title, and even if he wins 4 more SB's he is going to go down as one of the 5 best QB's in history, on any unbiased persons list. he could have jus tplayed out his contract as it was, and made it all about the money. 10 million dollars today isnt going to be worth as much as 10 million tomorrow. Granted I would take 2 mil for 5 years too, but the only reason he had for doing this, is b/c he is a team player, and wants to win.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Why, because I am not a blind homer like most Steelers fans? I call it like I see it, plain and simple. Manning is something that is good about the game of football (except for those painfully long audibles). Nothing said he HAD to rework his contract. He has his title, and even if he wins 4 more SB's he is going to go down as one of the 5 best QB's in history, on any unbiased persons list. he could have jus tplayed out his contract as it was, and made it all about the money. 10 million dollars today isnt going to be worth as much as 10 million tomorrow. Granted I would take 2 mil for 5 years too, but the only reason he had for doing this, is b/c he is a team player, and wants to win.
    I'm not a blind homer my friend. I give a ton of credit to alot of non Steelers players. I think Tom Brady is the best QB in the game and I can't stand the guy. I just don't go on lengths to give Peyton Manning credit and think every move he makes is golden. Dude you sound like all these Colts fans here in this lame *** sorry state of Indiana.

Yes he is a great QB and he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. I don't think I ever stated other wise. But dude many players have reworked their contracts this isn't breaking news of a player reworking their contract to give their team some cap room. Many Steelers have did the same in the past. I just don't feel the need to but them on a pedestal for doing so. Reworking contracts is just part of the business that Pro Football is.

Thread Information