Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Wexell \ On the clock

Bookmark and Share

Jim Wexell \ On the clock

A look at what new coach might want for Steelers

By JIM WEXELL
    For The Tribune-Democrat

Finally, a set of rankings to believe in. Tom Marino has worked in various pro personnel departments for 35 years and it shows. He’s now living the high life – as a writer – for Scout.com and his pre-combine player rankings come closer to my way of thinking than any that I’ve seen.

With the combine set to begin this week, here’s a closer look – through Marino’s rankings – at the players who’ll tempt the Steelers at pick No. 15:

n No. 12 – Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska. Mike Tomlin has us right where he wants us: In the dark.

Oh, there’s been speculation about his intentions on defense, but Tomlin hasn’t indicated he’s leaning in any direction, schematically.

“Players defy scheme,” he said, and I take that to mean he’ll find the athletes first and then come up with the appropriate scheme.

The first great athlete to come his way might be Aaron Smith, Jr., a.k.a. Carriker.

One look at the 6-foot-6, 295-pounder makes that clear, and it’s also evident on tape.

Carriker doesn’t bowl you over until you realize he’s the rare college defensive end who’s being coached to take on blockers and control two gaps at the point of attack.

He’s the best run-stopping end in the draft. He also played plenty of 3-4 end, 4-3 dime tackle and dime nose at Nebraska. And the few times he’s been unleashed he’s not only produced, he’s flashed.

In the Cotton Bowl he beat Ben Grubbs easily on one pass rush, and also got a sack as a nose tackle.

Carriker had a similarly sublime performance against Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game.

Of course, the question is: Do the Steelers need another Aaron Smith? If we’re trying to summarize neatly with a scheme in mind, no, they don’t.

But line coach John Mitchell has said he won’t retire until Aaron Smith does. He loves Smith as a player, and it would behoove the Steelers to grab his clone should they get the opportunity. At the very least, the Steelers could use another end in their 3-4 rotation.

n No. 13 – Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt. Tape doesn’t reveal much, other than the fact that top opponents respected Revis a great deal.

West Virginia and Louisville each threw at him exactly one time. WVU tried Revis deep on a fourth-and-1 play-action pass and Revis intentionally dropped the pick.

Louisville did beat him deep, but Revis interfered and Pitt blocked the subsequent field-goal attempt.

Revis is similar in build to Ty Law, and Revis’ speed is a question mark, as was Law’s when he was drafted 23rd in 1995. Marino estimates Revis’ 40 time at 4.5, which Revis says he’ll thrash at the combine. If he does, he’ll be the top corner drafted.

But do the Steelers need a cornerback? Ike Taylor slumped last year, yet it appears the Steelers are blaming the coaching – which explains Darren Perry’s departure – so drafting a corner in the first round isn’t likely. But, value is the rule of thumb on draft day and there’s no position more hyper-inflated in NFL free agency than cornerback.

Check the price tags this year and you’ll realize that Taylor’s “big” contract last year has become the going rate for dime backs.

n No. 14 – Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal. In the race to define the Steelers’ defensive preference, this Tomlin quote, on finding a second running back, has been overlooked as a first-round clue: “We need one. We have potential men identified. … If you look at the teams in the conference championship games, all of them had two backs.”

And the second backs to arrive with those teams – Reggie Bush, Cedric Benson, Joseph Addai, Laurence Maroney – were all drafted in the first round.

On tape against USC, Lynch (5-101⁄2, 220, 4.55 estimated speed) seems to go down too easily, but he was playing on a tender ankle.

Upon second glance, in the Holiday Bowl, I saw a player with plenty of heart who was difficult to bring down. His strength and tenacity mesh with a package of shiftiness, quickness, size and pass-catching ability.

And forget his alleged skirmish with the law. It appears as if someone tried to out-scheme the soon-to-be millionaire, and of course the uncovering of the scheme wasn’t given nearly the amount of play that the original story was given.

Lynch may not be the perfect complement to Willie Parker that the bigger Tony Hunt would be, but Lynch is almost as big as Hunt and certainly faster. He’s a player.

n No. 15 – Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State. New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would like to implement more four-wide sets on run downs, but his Nos. 3-5 receivers consist of a veteran disappointment (Cedrick Wilson), a raw, inconsistent tease (Nate Washington), and an injured novice who’s small enough to be injured again (Willie Reid).

Ginn would make sense as a return man and home-run hitter out of the slot, but the Steelers will look at his raw route-running and his non-existent blocking and forget about the 4.3 40 that he won’t be able to run at the combine because of the foot he injured when his team piled on him in the end zone after he returned the opening kickoff in the national title game.

n No. 16 – Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn. Kendall Simmons enters the final year of his first contract and the Steelers can’t be too happy about his performance at guard over the years.

He runs well, and that was the lure from the start, but he doesn’t hit anybody when he gets there. Neither is he the type to root out big tackles in the run game.

However, a move to center could be in the offing, as Arians has indicated, and it could revive Simmons’ career. On the field, he’d fill the void left by the retired Jeff Hartings, and, off the field, he’d give the Steelers more info about his future.

Grubbs can’t run nearly as well as Simmons, but he’s a mauler-brawler who won’t have near the trouble physically with the Jamal Williamses and Marcus Strouds of the AFC world that Simmons has had.

Grubbs also practiced at center at the Senior Bowl, which adds to his value.

Of course, if the Steelers opt to leave Simmons at right guard, with Chris Kemoeatu in reserve, Grubbs won’t be the pick.

n No. 17 – Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC. Receivers, like defensive backs, are difficult to grade because TV scouts can’t see the entire field.

Every now and then you’ll see a WR make a block, but not Jarrett. His knock is that he’s not physical enough and this was evident in the Rose Bowl.

Of course, he’s a tall receiver, which Ben Roethlisberger craves, and he’s got great hands, but even those 205 receiving yards against Michigan aren’t enough for the Steelers if the guy refuses to block.

In the first draft without Bill Cowher, the Steelers will want to make a point about remaining a physical team.

In my opinion, they’d put more consideration into drafting LSU’s king-sized Dwayne Bowe – even though he drops too many balls – because of his vicious blocking and ability to run over linebackers after the catch. Bowe would make the necessary statement here, not Jarrett.

n No. 18 – Leon Hall, CB, Michigan. Why didn’t Lloyd Carr use Hall in any press coverage on the allegedly timid Jarrett?

That’s the matchup I wanted to see in the Rose Bowl. As it was, the Michigan coach wasted Hall on USC’s Nos. 2 and 3 receivers most of the game.

He was rarely matched up with Jarrett, who did catch two passes on Hall: One for 9 yards and the second for a 62-yard touchdown.

That play was more the fault of the safety, but it hasn’t helped Hall’s fading rep. He was beaten deep twice by Ohio State and is facing questions about his speed.

Hall is expected to run a 4.6 40 at the combine, and yet deserves this high ranking from Marino because Hall had enough speed to run down USC’s other senior receiver, Steve Smith, from behind in the open field, and he has superb hip action, toughness and character.

Considering the aforementioned value of cornerbacks, I’d have no problem with Hall as a fallback choice for the Steelers if they can’t get Carriker, Lynch or Revis.

link: http://www.tribune-democrat.com/pros...051000804.html

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mike Tomlin has us right where he wants us: In the dark.

Aint that the truth!

We've touched on these points so many times in the last couple months that's it's anybody's guess anymore. Just get the draft here and over with so we can get on with camp !

Ginn Jr... I wouldn't be to disappointed with that pick

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

Aint that the truth!

We've touched on these points so many times in the last couple months that's it's anybody's guess anymore. Just get the draft here and over with so we can get on with camp !
    Why is it so in the dark? Not really when you see through the fog. No shock Adam Carriker's name has come up since he can play DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3. Plus players like Jarvis Moss and Anthony Spencer both can fit in both schemes as DE/OLBs. I have said these names over and over again.

Plus no shocks to hear the names of Lynch, Grubbs, Bowe, Ginn, Jarrett, Revis since either one of those guys could be the best available com the 15th pick in the first round.

I say if Okoye is gone then trade down and draft Moss/Spencer. If the Steelers can't find a team to trade down with then stay at 15 and draft best available.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Ginn Jr... I wouldn't be to disappointed with that pick
    I would be but thats just me hoping we go for a top OLB/DE with our first pick.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-21-2007 at 01:32 PM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    I would be but thats just me hoping we go for a top OLB/DE with our first pick.
    I agree Diesel that OLB/DE is a bigger need. But I don't think guys like Moss or Spencer are worth the 15th overall pick. Plus Spencer is my guy and I still think 15 is to early for Spencer.

So if Okoye is gone I say trade down in the first round and take Moss or Spencer if there is no partner for the Steelers to trade with then stay at 15 and draft best available and I would include Adam Carriker or a Ted Ginn Jr in that mix. Personally I like Bowe since he a taller WR and can block.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Why is it so in the dark? Not really when you see through the fog. No shock Adam Carriker's name has come up since he can play DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3. Plus players like Jarvis Moss and Anthony Spencer both can fit in both schemes as DE/OLBs. I have said these names over and over again.

Plus no shocks to hear the names of Lynch, Grubbs, Bowe, Ginn, Jarrett, Revis since either one of those guys could be the best available com the 15th pick in the first round.

I say if Okoye is gone then trade down and draft Moss/Spencer. If the Steelers can't find a team to trade down with then stay at 15 and draft best available.

Referring about being in the dark about the type of defense we'll be running, not the players we'll be drafting.

I know Tomlin and Colbert aren't going to drop any names until draft day so until it's back to the drawing board of who we should take on day 1 and why.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Referring about being in the dark about the type of defense we'll be running, not the players we'll be drafting.

I know Tomlin and Colbert aren't going to drop any names until draft day so until it's back to the drawing board of who we should take on day 1 and why.
    Top, I think and I base this on what I heard Tomlin say since he was hired is that he wants flexible and intelligent players. So I would think player that can fit both the 3-4 and 4-3 will be looked at. So I really don't think we are in the dark defense wise.

I hope they wouldn't drop any names but I always like the idea of draft best available and with Colbert saying he wouldn't rule out WR in the first round might indicate that the Steelers might take the best available approach or it could be smoke screen.

if we drafted a skill player like lynch in the first round i would be happy, but only because OLB could be addressed in the second round with Spencer or Abiamiri and theres a few others that i cant think of, i personally would rather do defense first and Leonard/Bush/Hunt in the second. But lynch would be cool also.

as for a WR, Ginn, mabey another bengal slayer wouldnt be bad, but if we were gonna address WR in the first i would rather have Bowe or the guy from Tennessee (cant ever remember his name). I DO NOT want jarrett, i dont care if he played in a "pro system" at southern cal, hes soft and reminds me to much of burress, although he is a much harder worker and way more commited, hes still weak. Now if we really want another WR in the first, Calvin Johnson is a freak! He would make ben very happy, im positive Johnson, santonio the bengal slayer and ward would be an absolutely ridiculous trio, and how much would that open things up for willie.....never would happen but just think about that for a second lol

Gold Standard

Fun to speculate, but thats all it is - speculation

As life long Steeler fans (most of us) we are all trying to will our own opinions and desires for our team onto each other! Each one of us has a unique opinion about what our teams "real" needs are! In the last months I have read and even been involved in heated debates about what those needs really are! In the end, it is not only likely but probable that Tomlin & Colbert unveil a draft class that will undoubtedly bring us right back to this very forum to argue the pro's & con's to every pick! We are all just along for the ride! We have no more power over this years draft or free agent class than we do to change the destination of an airline flight after take-off! In the end I think I would be shocked if we had even 2 of our eventual draft picks right! Although im sure someone out there might try to claim these were the same picks they forecasted. Bottom line is none of really know where we are headed, so just sit back and enjoy the ride!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information