Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Combine Report

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    He would be a rather large OLB don't ya think? He has 16 pounds on Joey Porter and Joey aint a small guy! He would be like another Levon Kirkland!

51 James Farrior LB 6-2 243
    50 Larry Foote ILB 6-1 239
    53 Clark Haggans OLB 6-4 243
    92 James Harrison LB 6-0 242
    57 Clint Kriewaldt LB 6-1 248
    55 Joey Porter OLB 6-3 250
    54 Rian Wallace OLB 6-2 243
    49 Anthony Spencer OLB 6-2 266

Bring him on!

Adalius Thomas is listed at 6-2/ 270 and he played OLB for the Ravens. Plus he played other positions as well but mainly OLB. That is who Spencer reminds me of is Adalius Thomas.

I said back in Jan that Spencer is the perfect hybrid type of player for the Steelers to use in a 3-4 or 4-3. So lets keep beating this dead horse I don't care Spencer is my guy.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    Did anyone else see Rich Eisen run a 40 in his suit and dress shoes?... He got a 6.43 it was funny.
    Yeah I seen that I think he pulled a hammy.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Ok I'm going to beat a different kind of horse. Like BB2W said he was interviewed and he said he would rather stay at end instead of going to OLB, granted he did say if a team asked him to switch he would. I know it'll take some time to get used to playing OLB especially when hes been used to playing DE his whole career. I was watching him and a couple of others in drills today especially the pass coverage drills. He wasn't the only tweener who didn't look comfortable backpedaling and switching from left to right fluidly, I'll give him this his hands aren't as hard as alot of the other guys. He did look good in the pass rushing skills from both the left and right side. So heres my point...How much time would it take for him to get used to playing OLB after playing DE his whole career? dropping back in coverage? taking on TE's and possibly RB's?

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Ok I'm going to beat a different kind of horse. Like BB2W said he was interviewed and he said he would rather stay at end instead of going to OLB, granted he did say if a team asked him to switch he would. I know it'll take some time to get used to playing OLB especially when hes been used to playing DE his whole career. I was watching him and a couple of others in drills today especially the pass coverage drills. He wasn't the only tweener who didn't look comfortable backpedaling and switching from left to right fluidly, I'll give him this his hands aren't as hard as alot of the other guys. He did look good in the pass rushing skills from both the left and right side. So heres my point...How much time would it take for him to get used to playing OLB after playing DE his whole career? dropping back in coverage? taking on TE's and possibly RB's?
    I think thats typical every year among the collge DE that don't want to switch to OLB in a 3-4. I hear it every year. As for him the tweeners struggling in pass coverage drills. I think thats to be expected and again every year those tweenber guys struggle in those drills.

As for how long it would take for Spencer or other tweeners to get used to play OLB and dropping back into coverage.

As Steelers fans we just have to look at Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans. None of those guys started right away and it took them 2-3 years before getting comfortable at OLB and dropping back in coverage.

One point though the Steelers might use a hybrid of the 3-4 and 4-3 so Spencer could still line up at DE sometimes in a 4-3.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I think thats typical every year among the collge DE that don't want to switch to OLB in a 3-4. I hear it every year. As for him the tweeners struggling in pass coverage drills. I think thats to be expected and again every year those tweenber guys struggle in those drills.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not all of sudden bashing the guy. I know hes not used to playing OLB thats why he did have problems in the coverage drills along with a few others. I guess I was looking for more natural ability to switch over. Just to put this out there, I hope everyone doesn't hold their breath on getting Spencer, I've got a funny feeling we'll be drafting someone else. But if we do draft him we got Porter to help him switch over. Can't go wrong there.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

joey porter and clark haggans played DE with there hands down in college, Spencer is still thinking of himself as a DE pass rusher, which there is no reason why he shouldnt but he will realize hes better suited for an OLB eventually

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm not all of sudden bashing the guy. I know hes not used to playing OLB thats why he did have problems in the coverage drills along with a few others. I guess I was looking for more natural ability to switch over. Just to put this out there, I hope everyone doesn't hold their breath on getting Spencer, I've got a funny feeling we'll be drafting someone else. But if we do draft him we got Porter to help him switch over. Can't go wrong there.
    I didn't think you were bashing Spencer at all just answering the questions you had in your post bro. I didn't think for one minute that you were bashing Spencer. We do have examples of players making the switch in our defense from DE to OLB to use as a guide.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I didn't think you were bashing Spencer at all just answering the questions you had in your post bro. I didn't think for one minute that you were bashing Spencer. We do have examples of players making the switch in our defense from DE to OLB to use as a guide.
    Its all good bro I guess I'm having some doubts with Spencer, like I said I was looking more for natural coverage ability instead of him learning it. He didn't do bad with his hands.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Lets beat it until its dead!

Adalius Thomas is listed at 6-2/ 270 and he played OLB for the Ravens. Plus he played other positions as well but mainly OLB. That is who Spencer reminds me of is Adalius Thomas.

I said back in Jan that Spencer is the perfect hybrid type of player for the Steelers to use in a 3-4 or 4-3. So lets keep beating this dead horse I don't care Spencer is my guy.

I am still on the Anthony Spencer bandwagon....B&G4vr32
    If you are an old school defensive player is there a better place to play?
    Lets feed him some raw meat and gunpowder and beat him with purple and tiger striped sticks while wearing Carson Palmer and Steve McNair masks!

Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-26-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I am still on the Anthony Spencer bandwagon....B&G4vr32
    If you are an old school defensive player is there a better place to play?
    Lets feed him some raw meat and gunpowder and beat him with purple and tiger striped sticks while wearing Carson Palmer and Steve McNair masks!

I hear you bro keep beating that dead horse.

Thread Information