Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New look O-line?

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

New look O-line?

No. 16 – BEN GRUBBS, OG, Auburn. Kendall Simmons enters the final year of his first contract and the Steelers can’t be too happy about his performance at guard over the years. He runs well, and that was the lure from the start, but he doesn’t hit anybody when he gets there. Neither is he the type to root out big tackles in the run game. However, a move to center could be in the offing, as Arians has indicated, and it could revive Simmons’s career. On the field, he’d fill the void left by the retired Jeff Hartings, and, off the field, he’d give the Steelers more info about his future.

Grubbs can’t run nearly as well as Simmons, but he’s a mauler-brawler who won’t have near the trouble physically with the Jamal Williamses and Marcus Strouds of the AFC world that Simmons has had. Grubbs also practiced at center at the Senior Bowl, which adds to his value.
    This is just speculation. Grubbs is ranked as the 16th best player in the draft right now at scout.com and we have the 15th pick as you all know!

Imagine our O-line with Smith and Faneca on the left side. Grubbs and Colon on the right. Pick your center (Kendall Simmons, Chucki Okobi, Marvin Philips)

Here is another possibility. Smith and Faneca on the left side. Grubbs at center. Move Colon back to RG which is what he played in college and leave Max Starks at RT. Damn! That would be a stout O-line!

How do you think Willie and Hunt/Leonard/Bush would like to run behind those horses?
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-20-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

More good news !

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The OL is going to be something fun to watch this offseason and camp isn't it ! I can't wait to see who all steps up and takes the open jobs !

Starks, Simmons, Colon, Okobi, and Kemoeatu along with whoever we draft will all have a shot at getting the starting gigs on the right side of the line and at center.

Gold Standard

Wouldn't be upset with Grubbs picked at 15

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The OL is going to be something fun to watch this offseason and camp isn't it ! I can't wait to see who all steps up and takes the open jobs !
    I would be happy if they picked Grubbs at the 15th spot. Picking Grubbs would really give the Steelers a lot of options! The draft is loaded with DE's and OLB's. We could still get a great player with the 2nd round (47th overall pick) at DE/OLB. It could even be possible to trade up using a supplemental pick and still grab Spencer in the 2nd round. Day 1 could look something like this.

1. Grubbs/OG/6'3 318lbs/Auburn/rank 16th/our pick 15th
    2. Spencer/DE/6'3 261lbs/Purdue/rank 32nd/our pick 47th
    3. Bush/RB/6'2 250lbs/Louisville/rank 66th/our pick 79th or
    Leonard/RB/6'2 235lbs/Rutgers/rank 82nd

Who wouldn't be happy with a day 1 draft like that?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Heard alot of good things about BUSH and the more i hear on sirius the more i want him ! But as for the 1st round,i'm really hoping that OKOYE will be there.......

Gold Standard

Love Okoye too!

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZBURGH NATION View Post
    Heard alot of good things about BUSH and the more i hear on sirius the more i want him ! But as for the 1st round,i'm really hoping that OKOYE will be there.......
    There is just no way that he drops to the 15th spot! Here are scout.com's top six players in the draft. These guys are the only 5 star players in the draft!

WR 1 Calvin Johnson JR 6-4/235/- Georgia Tech Tyrone, GA
    QB 2 JaMarcus Russell JR 6-6/260/4.80 LSU Mobile, AL
    RB 3 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
    OT 4 Joe Thomas SR 6-8/306/- Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
    DE 5 Gaines Adams SR 6-4.5/265/4.70 Clemson Fork Union, VA
    DT 6 Amobi Okoye SR 6-1/312/- Louisville Huntsville, AL

We would have to trade waaayyyyyy up to get him and the higher up you move the more you pay. Its just not like the Steelers to move up that far to get somebody who they would have to pay big bucks to sign!

Grubbs would be a good grab for us!

Never know though,,,,,Look where merriman & ware went !

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    There is just no way that he drops to the 15th spot! Here are scout.com's top six players in the draft. These guys are the only 5 star players in the draft!

WR 1 Calvin Johnson JR 6-4/235/- Georgia Tech Tyrone, GA
    QB 2 JaMarcus Russell JR 6-6/260/4.80 LSU Mobile, AL
    RB 3 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
    OT 4 Joe Thomas SR 6-8/306/- Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
    DE 5 Gaines Adams SR 6-4.5/265/4.70 Clemson Fork Union, VA
    DT 6 Amobi Okoye SR 6-1/312/- Louisville Huntsville, AL

We would have to trade waaayyyyyy up to get him and the higher up you move the more you pay. Its just not like the Steelers to move up that far to get somebody who they would have to pay big bucks to sign!

Grubbs would be a good grab for us!

I agree there's no way we trade up THAT far to get him. Although it's anybody's guess as to how the draft will play out but it would take an awful lot to move up that far IMO, and not worth losing other picks to do it. Ive been really set on an DE/LB in the first round, but the way this draft is with not being very deep at OL after the first round it might behoove us to grab Grubbs; possibly even trade down a few spots if we think we can grab him later.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I have said in the past Willie Colon was better suited for guard. So I wouldn't be suprised to see Colon end up at RG for Kendall Simmons.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I would be happy if they picked Grubbs at the 15th spot. Picking Grubbs would really give the Steelers a lot of options! The draft is loaded with DE's and OLB's. We could still get a great player with the 2nd round (47th overall pick) at DE/OLB. It could even be possible to trade up using a supplemental pick and still grab Spencer in the 2nd round. Day 1 could look something like this.

1. Grubbs/OG/6'3 318lbs/Auburn/rank 16th/our pick 15th
    2. Spencer/DE/6'3 261lbs/Purdue/rank 32nd/our pick 47th
    3. Bush/RB/6'2 250lbs/Louisville/rank 66th/our pick 79th or
    Leonard/RB/6'2 235lbs/Rutgers/rank 82nd

Who wouldn't be happy with a day 1 draft like that?
    You can't trade supplemental picks.

Thread Information