Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colbert has open mind heading into combine

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    If they went with a WR I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a big guy like a Dwayne Bowe (6'3 220lbs). Someone big enough that he could actually throw real blocks on end-around plays! Some of your bigger wideouts are also the ones who kick *** in yards after catch because they aren't as easy to bring down! Bowe had a big week at the senior bowl week! No doubt his display of talent at the senior bowl is what has put him up into the 1st or 2nd round! IMO I don't think they should even think WR until day 2.
    Good point, I honestly didn't even think of that, Ben does need another big target, besides Heath (who needs to be thrown too more often).

Fun, Fun, Fun

What could be more fun, than not knowing what to expect? I mean this going to be interesting (not suprising like last year). I will defanitly watch with interest and intrigue this year. I am excited to see what Tomlin will bring.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    They could go with Jarvis Moss from Florida, or Lawrence Timmons from FSU; both of them could play OLB in a 34 or DE in a 43 , so that wouldn't really tip the hat in either direction because they are versatile.
    Timmons might want to put some weight if we want him to play DE in a 4-3 Top. He is only listed at 230 pounds. Thats alittle on a the light side to play DE in the NFL.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07051/763473-66.stm

WR is a position most of us haven't even considered with our first round pick. That being said, as long as Willie Reid is recovering from his foot injury I gotta think we stay away from WR in the first round here. Perhaps with a compensatory pick maybe but I would think we have to give Willie Reid a chance to play and see what he can do going up against Nate and Cedric; not to mention Walter Young.
    Ok I said from dayone and I always say it. You draft the best available player in each round when its your time to pick. So no I wouldn't rule out WR in round if a WR is the top rated player at the time the Steelers pick.

Personally if Okoye isn't there I say trade down in round one and draft Spencer. But if the Steelers stay at 15 you draft best player available.

Except QB like the article says. Of course K and P also. Plus I would include TE since the Steelers don't even use Heath Miller.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't see us grabbing a WR in the first round. Day 1? maybe, there will still be some talent with height available even in rd 3. I'm still hoping for OLB/DE for our first pick...anything can happen between now and then.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

The Steelers football staff, including coaches, scouts, trainers and more, will be in Indianapolis this week for the annual NFL Scouting Combine. They will join the rest of the NFL world in evaluating over 330 college players who are eligible for this year's draft.

The combine initially began as an opportunity for players to be given physicals without them having to have individual physicals by all 32 teams. It has grown considerably since its inception.

"The main function is for medical evaluation," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "From the medical evaluation grew the on-field timing and testing. From that grew the off-field interviews. It's gotten bigger and bigger. The core, though, is the medical."

The combine is an excellent opportunity to get another look at players that the Steelers have been evaluating all season, to time and test them, but it's not the main factor in judging a player for the draft.

"I always tell players that 90% of their evaluation is based on what they did from August until January," said Colbert. "Now we get at the combine and we find out what kind of people they are, how healthy they are. The workout is just icing on the cake.

"If a good player works out good, that's great. If a good player doesn't work out great it doesn't change your opinion that he is still a good player. If an average player works out great you would make a mistake by running that player up the board based on a workout."

Two of the aspects that are helpful for the Steelers at the combine are the one-on-one interviews with the players and the psychological evaluations. The Steelers administer a psychological evaluation to all the players who attend the combine, with the results evaluated by a psychologist. They got a jump start on it by giving it to the players who attend the All-Star games. They only have about 100 players to still administer it to at the combine.

"Everybody has different philosophies," said Colbert. "Some people don't use a psychologist, don't use an evaluation. It's just a team preference. It's something we are comfortable with because we are comfortable with the results and the information it gives us. It's a guide. It's not the end-all, be-all.

"It's an indicator of what we think this guy's personality is both on and off the field. We get the opinion of the psychologist on the bottom line of what kind of person this guy is, what kind of competitor he is and how he is going to react both on and off the field

link: http://news.steelers.com/article/74096/

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I don't want anybody setting our new coach straight! You hired him to lead the team so you had better trust his judgement. Perhaps you would like to switch GM's with San Diego? AJ Smith makes all the decisions there and if you disagree with him you're gone! I do NOT want a puppet coach and im quite certain that Tomlin did not take the job to be anybodies "boy"! We hired him to be our new leader, now let him lead!
    That's my feelings exactly ^ The HC position is just a vaccuum for money otherwise, and should be done away with.

Mike's the HC now, so he needs to make his own decisions on his vision of where he sees our team heading, and make the necessary adjustments for it.

I know him and the Rooney's have discussed this and Mike knows that this is his team. Yes, things are going to be different, but we have to let him have the control he needs...this is his team now...it's not Cowhers team anymore!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

blackgold4vr, couldnt agree with you more. it's not Cowher's draft, its tomlins. And here in pittsburgh we have to be open to the changes he will make. i cant wait either!
    scgal
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

Thread Information