Thread: Colbert has open mind heading into combine

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Colbert has open mind heading into combine

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07051/763473-66.stm

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The bonding experience continues for the new Steelers coaching staff and scouting department when they converge on Indianapolis starting Thursday.

Coach Mike Tomlin, hired one month ago today, and his staff have spent much of their time evaluating their players and potential free agents; now they have a chance to focus on this year's rookie crop when they camp out at the NFL Scouting Combine this week.

The Steelers have the 15th pick in the draft and the stakes and talent increase in the first half of the draft, something the team has not experienced since it selected Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th choice in 2004. It's the second highest the Steelers are scheduled to select in the past seven drafts.

For sure, they won't draft a quarterback with their first pick this year. After that, everything's open, said their resident draft expert.

"It's hard to see locking out any position high except quarterback. Really, we wouldn't do that," said Kevin Colbert, their football operations director.

That, he said, would include wide receiver, a position the Steelers have spent draft picks and money trying to upgrade the past two seasons.

Two years ago, their only significant signing in free agency was wide receiver Cedrick Wilson. Last year, they drafted two receivers in the higher rounds-- Santonio Holmes in the first and Willie Reid in the third.

That would not prevent the team from drafting a wide receiver with the 15th pick in April, Colbert said.

"At this point, I would say wide receiver is the strongest position," Colbert said of the draft. "After that, probably safety."

In spite of their recent attempts, the Steelers might not believe they have enough depth at wide receiver to use four of them on first and second downs, as new coordinator Bruce Arians has said he would like to deploy. Hines Ward and Holmes are the starters with Wilson and Nate Washington filling out the top four.

Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson is rated the top prospect in the draft by Tom Marino of scout.com. Coincidentally, the next receiver listed by Marino is Holmes' former Ohio State teammate Ted Ginn -- at 15th. Ginn, who injured his ankle celebrating his opening touchdown in the national championship game, will attend the Combine but will not run. They are two of four wide receivers listed in the top 32 by scout.com.
    WR is a position most of us haven't even considered with our first round pick. That being said, as long as Willie Reid is recovering from his foot injury I gotta think we stay away from WR in the first round here. Perhaps with a compensatory pick maybe but I would think we have to give Willie Reid a chance to play and see what he can do going up against Nate and Cedric; not to mention Walter Young.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    this years draft is gonna drive me nuts, it's the first year i don't know what to expect, years past you could tell what we were targeting, this year anything goes........ i wouldn't want ted ginn though, we'd have a midget wring core lol.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Reppin' 724
    If they draft a WR they need to make it someone who is going to replace Hines eventually. IMO we don't draft any WR's this year.

My Mood
    Angry
    OMG!!
    I don't know if this old news but I heard on Sirius NFL Radio that the word is out that the Steelers(Tomlin) is looking at Defensive End with their first round pick.....in particular a player from Florida State??

If this is the case then Mr. Rooney needs to have a serious sit-down with Tomlin and draw a really clear picture for him that the team has other needs in particular the Offensive Line, Running back and linebacker.

Taking a DE would be a clear indication that Tomlin is drafting players to switch to the 4-3 sooner rather than later and totally ignoring the glaring needs.

I don't like the sound of this and I hope Colbert and The Rooney's set Tomlin straight.

Gold Standard

Dwayne Bowe?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    If they draft a WR they need to make it someone who is going to replace Hines eventually. IMO we don't draft any WR's this year.
    If they went with a WR I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a big guy like a Dwayne Bowe (6'3 220lbs). Someone big enough that he could actually throw real blocks on end-around plays! Some of your bigger wideouts are also the ones who kick *** in yards after catch because they aren't as easy to bring down! Bowe had a big week at the senior bowl week! No doubt his display of talent at the senior bowl is what has put him up into the 1st or 2nd round! IMO I don't think they should even think WR until day 2.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They could go with Jarvis Moss from Florida, or Lawrence Timmons from FSU; both of them could play OLB in a 34 or DE in a 43 , so that wouldn't really tip the hat in either direction because they are versatile.

Gold Standard

Scout.com has these 2 listed at 24th & 26th

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    They could go with Jarvis Moss from Florida, or Lawrence Timmons from FSU; both of them could play OLB in a 34 or DE in a 43 , so that wouldn't really tip the hat in either direction because they are versatile.
    Neither one of these would be bad choices but I would hope they would move down to pick them! Don't think either one of these guys is a top 15 pick. If we lose Starks perhaps Ben Grubbs 6'3 318 OG from Auburn could be our pick. I heard they had Grubbs playing some center at senior week. He is listed at 16th overall on scout.coms rankings. He is listed as the top guard in the draft and 3rd overall lineman behind only Joe Thomas and Levi Brown. This guy could really sure up our offensive line and provide all sorts of alternatives to the coaches!

Heres what Todd McShay had to say about Grubbs following senior week!

Grubbs made it very clear that he's far and away the best guard prospect in the 2007 class.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    OMG!!
    I don't know if this old news but I heard on Sirius NFL Radio that the word is out that the Steelers(Tomlin) is looking at Defensive End with their first round pick.....in particular a player from Florida State??

If this is the case then Mr. Rooney needs to have a serious sit-down with Tomlin and draw a really clear picture for him that the team has other needs in particular the Offensive Line, Running back and linebacker.

Taking a DE would be a clear indication that Tomlin is drafting players to switch to the 4-3 sooner rather than later and totally ignoring the glaring needs.

I don't like the sound of this and I hope Colbert and The Rooney's set Tomlin straight.
    If this is the case I hope someone sets him straight and lets him know who runs the show and how things are to be done in Pittsburgh!

As for Calvin Johnson, this is a play maker! I saw a couple of his games this season and the guys was in a league of his own and couldn't really be stopped. He felt like every time GT took the field it was a bomb to Johnson, or was doing his best Rice impersonation catching a quick slant and taking it tot he house. He would be really hard to pass up on but when you think about how many WR's have been drafted the last couple of years it almost sounds like a waste!

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Steelers scouts have been told to look for players that fit a 4-3 scheme. So yes you might be seeing a 4-3 alot sooner.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Gold Standard

Nobodies "Boy"!

I don't want anybody setting our new coach straight! You hired him to lead the team so you had better trust his judgement. Perhaps you would like to switch GM's with San Diego? AJ Smith makes all the decisions there and if you disagree with him you're gone! I do NOT want a puppet coach and im quite certain that Tomlin did not take the job to be anybodies "boy"! We hired him to be our new leader, now let him lead!

Thread Information