Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears won't renew Rivera's contract...

Bookmark and Share

Bears won't renew Rivera's contract...

Bears head coach Lovie Smith is making long-term plans for the future of the team and one of the plans could surprise many Bears fans.

FOXSports.com has learned that Chicago has decided to not renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Team sources say that Smith and Rivera met recently and agreed to allow Rivera to pursue other opportunities. The sources also contend that Smith will likely end up promoting Bob Babich from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.

People inside the Bears saw this coming for a while as Babich has been reached out to from a handful of teams in the last two off-seasons and Smith, who unlike many other coaches does not block his assistants from moving up, did not want to lose him. Thus, the head coach had a tough decision to make and promoting Babich was his choice.

Babich is also viewed as more of a long-term option for Smith as Rivera was in the running for several head coaching jobs this off-season and last year. To this point, however, he has failed to land one. He did not sign an extension last off-season, which allowed him to be a free agent after the Bears' Super Bowl run. Most teams figured he'd get one of the vacant head coaching openings and as a result has been left out in the cold.

As for a defensive coordinator opening, there's only one open right now and that is Ted Cottrell's for the taking in San Diego. Still, now that Rivera is officially free another team may decide to make a run at a man who helped guide a unit to this year's prized game.

Rivera has been with Smith since he took over the head coaching duties in Chicago.

link: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485778

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wow, just coming off a super bowl appearance, and all the hype he's been getting about being a candidate for head coaching jobs, may have backfired on him.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Wow, just coming off a super bowl appearance, and all the hype he's been getting about being a candidate for head coaching jobs, may have backfired on him.
    Dude, I'm shocked by this. I know my best friend who is a Bears fans won't be happy with this. Plus the Bears still havn't resigned Lovie Smith. Thats just dumb. Give the guy his money already. I'm so glad that the Steelers are owned by the Rooneys.

This is pretty shocking! I guess the Bears figured signing him to a contract is pointless because if he's not hired on as a HC this year then it will probably happen next year so why waste the money!

A monkey could be the DC of the Bears IMO, that team has a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball!

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I wonder if there is more to this. Then is being made public.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    I found this very shocking. What is Rivera going to do now? I wonder if he is going to go after some vacancies in the NFL. San Diego? Jim Mora being interviewed there. I think Rivera could make the Chargers go all the way. Interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Thats big ****ed up business for ya. I doubt they gave him a heads up he wasn't going to be resigned and now whats the man to do? One way or another he'll land on his feet

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The day after the super bowl, Rivera was on a plane to Dallas to interview. Im betting the Bears are feeling like he's not committed to them so they are looking for someone else.

Ever coordinator in the league wants to be a head coach so you can't fault him for that, however I agree there may very well be more to this story that don't know about.

i was hoping he would be an assistant with the steelers but it seems he will be the chargers lb coach.

sure wouldve liked to see him revive the steelers special teams though.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    i was hoping he would be an assistant with the steelers but it seems he will be the chargers lb coach.

sure wouldve liked to see him revive the steelers special teams though.

How would a defensive cordinator who specializes in the cover 2. Help our special teams?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information