Thread: Chargers GM hires DC?

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Chargers GM hires DC?

Cottrell On his Way to San Diego

By Adam Caplan
    Senior NFL Reporter
    Posted Feb 19, 2007

The San Diego Chargers could have their defensive coordinator job filled as soon as Monday. scout.com and sdboltreport.com first reported almost two weeks ago that veteran defensive coach Ted Cottrell was a solid candidate to be the San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator in 2007. It's believed that Cottrell was the first choice of executive vice president/general manager A.J. Smith who worked together with Cottrell when the two were with the Buffalo Bills several years back.

Then, last Monday, head coach Marty Schottenheimer told Smith and the rest of the front office that he planned to hire is brother Kurt to become the team's defensive coordinator and he wouldn't be interviewing Cottrell. Both sides butted heads on this issue among others which lead to Schottenheimer being fired that evening.

scout.com has learned, though a league source, that Cottrell is on his way to San Diego on Monday where Smith and Cottrell are expected to discuss contract terms. It's expected that if both sides agree on the terms, he could be offered the job today.

It's also believed that Cottrell is the real only candidate for their defensive coordinator opening which became vacant when Wade Phillips was named the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Cottrell has extensive work in the 3-4 scheme which the Chargers have used with Phillips coaching the defense.

Cottrell is currently the officer of arbitration for player fines for the NFL.

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner is considered to be the leading candidate for the head coaching job with San Diego. It should be noted that Turner and Cottrell have not worked together before.

Two of the reasons why Turner could wind up being named the head coach this week are because of his fine work with quarterbacks over the years (most recently with Alex Smith) and he runs a power rushing attack that is similar to what San Diego ran under Schottenheimer.

Turner would be making his second go around with the team if he gets the job as expected. He was their offensive coordinator in 2001.

Isn't it normal for a new Head Coach to pick his own staff? This is just another example of a GM who is f**king up a team! How many titles has A.J.Smith been a part of? Did you say "0"? I think I will start calling AJ Smith "Al Davis Jr"!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    From what ESPNRadio was saying today on sportscenter, that Turner approved the hiring if it happens. Seems odd to me that a HC who was just hired would approve someone "in case they are hired" . Sounds like somebody is puppet indeed !

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I said it before Turner is a puppet for smith. Just like Phillips is a puppet for Jones in dallas.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Gold Standard

Setting a precedent!

If Norv Turner accepted the job on the condition that he lets Smith call all the shots......he won't be there long! Smith will blame Norv for all the failures and take all the accolades for the successes! As far as I can remember Head Coaches are almost always afforded the power to at least pick their own staff! This arrangement stinks from the word go! Perhaps Smith would like to put his "Head Coaching Position" in behind the Raiders as the "other job that nobody wants"! Once you give up power that is normally associated with your job you cannot get it back! Turner will have Smith not only making ALL player decisions but will also take over tinkering with the coaching staff? Next thing Smith will be up in the booth demanding what plays are being run in the game! I smell another Matt Millen! Not sure why Smith didn't appoint himself the new Head Coach!

I applaud anything that management of (rival AFC) talented teams can do to bring instability to their franchise! Thats good for us!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information