Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your best ever.

Bookmark and Share

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Roberto Clemente great choice Flood. Thats my Dad's alltime favorite baseball player. So I know all about the late great Roberto Clemente. I have read alot about the life of Roberto Clemente.
    Thanks. I grew up hearing alot about him. I was really young when he was killed but I remember my whole town seemed like it was in mourning. My Dad was a huge baseball...and of course, Pirate fan.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well I'm not sticking up for the roided up freaks of today in Baseball. But baseball has changed alot since the days of Babe Ruth. Now I'm taking away from what Ruth did. He was a great pitcher before he became the first dominate hitter in baseball history from a average and power stand point. His lifetime .342 average and 714 home runs speak for themselves.

But Ruth used a 40 oz bat which would be illegal today. Plus in Ruths time pitchers didn't throw sliders. Ruth didn't have coast to coast trips like today's players. The Babe never played at night. Plus at a onetime in baseball history ground doubles counted as Home Runs which that rule was in place during some years in Ruths career.

Again I'm not taking away from the great things the Great Babe Ruth did. Just pointing out how Baseball has changed through the years and its hard to compare eras.

As for Bonds he was a great player before he took roids when he had a great combination of speed and power. Its just to bad he let his ego get in the way and he became the roided up freak he is today.
    32, a 40oz bat would be a disadvantage to players these days. They use lighter bats to get more bat speed which equals more power. I doubt most of the players could even get a 40oz bat around on a 90+ mph fastball.
    Not arguing about Ruth vs Bonds vs steroids here. Just pointing out that it would be harder to hit with power with a bigger bat than it would be with a lighter one.

Reppin' 724
    Football
    Offense - Barry Sanders
    Defense - Ronnie Lott

Basketball
    Michael Jordan

Baseball

Pitcher - Roger Clemens
    Hitter - Tony Gwynn

Hockey

Patrick Roy

Nascar driver
    not a sport....

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    32, a 40oz bat would be a disadvantage to players these days. They use lighter bats to get more bat speed which equals more power. I doubt most of the players could even get a 40oz bat around on a 90+ mph fastball.
    Not arguing about Ruth vs Bonds vs steroids here. Just pointing out that it would be harder to hit with power with a bigger bat than it would be with a lighter one.
    Oh I agree SF lighter bats generate more bat speed. I played baseball so I prefered lighter bats. I was just pointing out how the game has changed so much since Ruths times. I'm not taking away from Babe Ruth. He is one of the alltime greats players in sports history. Its just amazing he could get that 40 oz monster around to hit the ball. I have seen Ruths 40 oz bat at Cooperstown. Which I'm just saying that size of a bat would be against MLB rules today.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Football
    Offense - Walter Payton
    Defense - Rod Woodson

Basketball
    Michael Jordan

Baseball

Pitcher - Nolan Ryan
    Hitter - Hank Aaron

Hockey

Martin Brodeur

Nascar driver

Do not follow it

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Football ----Off >>> Joe Montana
    Def>>> Jack Lambert

Basketball------Dr. J

Baseball----- Bo Jackson

NHL---

NASCAR--------- Rusty Wallace

My Mood
    Addicted
    Oh I agree SF lighter bats generate more bat speed. I played baseball so I prefered lighter bats. I was just pointing out how the game has changed so much since Ruths times. I'm not taking away from Babe Ruth. He is one of the alltime greats players in sports history. Its just amazing he could get that 40 oz monster around to hit the ball. I have seen Ruths 40 oz bat at Cooperstown. Which I'm just saying that size of a bat would be against MLB rules today.
    OK, I get ya. I thought you meant it gave Ruth the advantage..... I know first hand (still play mens softball) that I keep getting a lighter bat every year and that I would stink it up with a 38-40 oz bat and that is slow pitch!.....lol

Thread Information