Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ike ready to play for Tomlin

Bookmark and Share
    maybe last year was the best thing for Ike. He needs to refocus and get back to the Ike we all know. I'm not sure what happened to him last year, but it seems as though he is focused for next year and very excited....and that make me excited!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Football season doesn't officially start for almost seven more months, but cornerback Ike Taylor is preparing as if the opener were tomorrow.

Taylor began his off-season program at the start of February, working with Tom Shaw, a conditioning coach based out of Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida.

"I felt like coming off of last year as a team we didn't have a good season and this year I want to help my team out as much as possible," said Taylor.

"I am not looking back. This is my fifth year and I know expectations are high for me. I have high expectations myself.

"I am just getting back into it. I took a good month off. That is something I never did in my whole life. Everyone was telling me I was training for so long without taking a break that it would be good for me to take a break and come back and give it all you've got. I always give it all I've got."

Taylor is working out several days a week, spending time on cardio and speed as well as drills that are designed specifically for his position.

"Whatever position you play you have a drill for it," said Taylor. "We do a couple of resistance drills. We do lot of metabolic stuff, a lot of cardio. You get two days of metabolic and cardio and two days of speed and conditioning. At the same time every day you are working on your position. The defensive backs are working on breaks and catching the ball. We are working with resistance. Coming out of your breaks you should have resistance."

Taylor will stay in Florida working out until about a week before the team comes back for voluntary workouts in Pittsburgh. He plans to get in a little early as he is looking forward to meeting new head coach Mike Tomlin.

"I am going to come and talk to the new coach," said Taylor. "I have talked to him a couple of times over the phone. He seems like a great guy. Coach Tomlin is young, he is hungry and I have heard great things about him from people he coached and people who know him."

And Taylor is hoping to come back to a fresh start. Last season was disappointing for him, seeing the team go from Super Bowl champs to missing the playoffs.

"It was hard," said Taylor. "Our expectations were higher than what we had coming off the Super Bowl year."

It wasn't just the team's struggles that made 2006 hard for Taylor; it was the tough time he went through on the field personally. Taylor was benched during the season for five games because of his disappointing play, replaced in the lineup by Bryant McFadden.

"It was hard; it was real hard on me," said Taylor. "I didn't like it. Me being a professional and coming off the year I had in 2005, it was so hard on me. I was so hard on myself. I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to talk to anybody. I just couldn't wait to get back on the field.

"It's all about playing football. I wanted to be on the field with the guys. That's what I really missed, not being on the field with the guys play in and play out. I got back in the last game and enjoyed it."

And Taylor is thinking about that time now, keeping it in his mind so he doesn't have a repeat of it in the future.

"I can't let that ever happen again, ever," said Taylor. "I feel like at this point in time going into my fifth year everything has happened to me. I want to try to help the team out and get us back to the Super Bowl. That's all I can do, 100% help the team out.

"I have always been driven. That's the way I always have been. I know how I am going to respond."

link: http://news.steelers.com/article/74066/

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That is awesome news ! Ike definitely is on the right track here, Im looking forward to seeing him kick some *** in 2007 !

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok yes Ike had an off year. But the Steelers pass rush was inconsistent. If you get consistent pressure on the QB that makes the secondary better. As for Ike when Tomlin was named HC I said he was going to help Ike alot and the rest of the secondary. I think the Steelers needed a breath of fresh air. I like Bill Cowher but 15 years is a long time with one team.....especially in today's NFL. So to me even a year removed from a Super Bowl title a change was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ok yes Ike had an off year. But the Steelers pass rush was inconsistent. If you get consistent pressure on the QB that makes the secondary better. As for Ike when Tomlin was named HC I said he was going to help Ike alot and the rest of the secondary. I think the Steelers needed a breath of fresh air. I like Bill Cowher but 15 years is a long time with one team.....especially in today's NFL. So to me even a year removed from a Super Bowl title a change was needed.
    I completely agree!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    He got plenty of chances last year...I like Ike, but he should feel lucky to be able to get another chance, especially in a "what have you done for me lately" league.

And lol....dont ever say hot diggity again...lol
    smh, and ppl talk **** to me.......you get down on someone cause they have one bad year, the hell with the, what have you done for me lately bullshit, (you say that, but you ride on mannings dick all season, yet this was the first year he's ever done something) it's not his fault he had a coach that didn't give a **** about this team..........ben ****s up one season you want him gone, ike has one bad season and you think he's lucky to get another chance, wtf???? not everyone can play great every year, players are allowed to have one done year every now and then, the dude is still young..........and this is a new coach, new era, all that happened from the cowher era no longer matters, everyone is starting on a clean slate

and i got hot diggity from the king of queens
    Last edited by Koopa; 02-19-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Chatty
    I think it's great to see Ike so motivated, you could tell he was struggling so much last year. I think Tomlin has alot of positiveness to add to this team. I hope everyone shares this feeling with Tomlin on board!! I'm so excited for this year!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The way Ike was so down on himself last year, and from what we read about his teammates saying he just wasn't the same guy; this is refreshing to hear him atleast appear to be bouncing back with a positive attitude. He's got a new leash on his NFL life so it's time to take advantage of it. We have the potential to be with 2 top notch CB's for a long time if they both continue to improve.
    that's because he had a coach that didn't give a **** about him last year, cowher just sat him down and didn't even try to motivate him to get better, he just gave up on him like he gave up on the rest of the team cause he wanted to "retire" and go "spend" time with his family
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Ike will be fine, im forever remebering last season as the dark season we wish not to speak of....hes a good CB and will be fine, he didnt play THAT bad last year, besides getting raped by javon walker of course lol.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Taylor and McFadden will be a duo to be wreckoned with for years to come. When you add Troy and Anthony Smith into that mix and we have the makings of a potentially deadly secondary !

Thread Information