Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike ready to play for Tomlin

Bookmark and Share

Ike ready to play for Tomlin

Ike Taylor isn't jumping to any conclusions, but what he's seen and heard so far has him jumping for joy.

New Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's first NFL job was coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers secondary. Pro Bowl cornerback Ronde Barber credits Tomlin with his development.

Taylor can't wait to go to work for his new coach.

"I'm very fortunate," he said.

Taylor is a cornerback with Pro Bowl potential entering his fifth season, his third as a starter.

He's looking to bounce back following a disappointing year that resulted in him not starting five games because, quite frankly, former coach Bill Cowher needed a scapegoat for missing the playoffs, and Taylor was it.

Taylor will be the first to admit that 2006 wasn't his best season, but a lot of Steelers could say the same thing.

For the first time since cracking the starting lineup, Taylor gave up some big plays in the passing game. But, truth be told, the Steelers' lack of a consistent pass rush left Taylor -- the team's top cover corner -- alone on an island far too often.

Not starting those five games afforded Taylor plenty of time to analyze what he did wrong, but also to not lose sight of those things he did right.

Following a couple of positive conversations with Tomlin, Taylor said he had never felt better about himself.

"We talked, and it was good. It wasn't really football talk. We were just trying to get to know each other," Taylor said. "I know what I can do. Coach told me he knows what I can do.

"He's been with Ronde Barber; he knows what it takes. I need to just start dominating."

Taylor is in Orlando, Fla., training with conditioning expert and speed coach Tom Shaw at the Wide World of Sports at Disney World. The two have trained together since Taylor was a middle-school student in New Orleans.

Last year, Taylor began training four days after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL. This year, Taylor, who recently made Orlando his offseason home, has been extremely intense in his workouts.

"The feeling I had last year, sitting all those games, I don't ever want to have that feeling again," Taylor said.

Said Shaw, who has developed 80 first-round draft picks and also is working with Steelers cornerbacks Ricardo Colclough and Anthony Madison: "Ike's never complained. He just said he's got to do a better job. He hasn't lost a step. He might have gotten faster. He's a workaholic."

A quiet leader, Taylor's offseason commitment has carried over to several of his defensive teammates. In addition to Colclough and Madison, cornerback Bryant McFadden trains with Taylor, and linebackers Joey Porter and James Farrior (another Orlando regular) also are expected to attend.

Next month, Taylor will participate in the Steelers offseason program, where he will finally meet face-to-face with Tomlin.

Taylor is honing his coverage skills against some of the top college receivers in the upcoming draft -- players such as Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson and Florida's Dallas Baker, who are preparing for the NFL Combine this week in Indianapolis.

Taylor's one-on-one battles with Johnson, a projected top-five pick in the draft, have been the talk of Shaw's camp.

"There's only a few like him," Taylor said. "He reminds me of Plax (former Steelers receiver Plaxico Burress). He's big, but he's fast. He's right up on you before you know it."

Johnson said Taylor had helped him immensely.

"He tells me what I'm doing wrong and to be under control at all times. He's helping me get better as a receiver," Johnson said. "He's so polished. You don't see cornerbacks like him in the college ranks."

A little coaching can go a long way. That's why Taylor is so looking forward to getting acquainted with Tomlin.

link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_493827.html

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    wonderful article there......i can't wait till next year, i felt bad for ike not getting to play through his mess up's cause cowher was being a hoe bag, but this year it's a fresh new start, and ike will be back to his 2005 form............. hot diggity i can't wait lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

House of Steel
    Good Points. I can't wait for the season to start. I feel Taylor best season is ahead of him. This is going to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    wonderful article there......i can't wait till next year, i felt bad for ike not getting to play through his mess up's cause cowher was being a hoe bag, but this year it's a fresh new start, and ike will be back to his 2005 form............. hot diggity i can't wait lol
    Yeah, based on his background you would think the defensive backs and receivers will benefit the most from what Tomlin brings to the table in terms of one on one coaching.

I like to hear Ike is still training hard and I hope he takes his game to another level.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is Ike's second chance and maybe his last. He was in BC's doghouse and just couldn't seem to get out.

We're all counting on him to pick up where he left off in 2005 and erase the dismal 2006 campaign !

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    He got plenty of chances last year...I like Ike, but he should feel lucky to be able to get another chance, especially in a "what have you done for me lately" league.

And lol....dont ever say hot diggity again...lol

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    If he get his head out of his girdle pad, and plays ;ike 05 great, if not? Then this is all just talk

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Angry
    I think Ike will come back strong in 07.
    Sure he had a poor season last year but that can be said for almost the entire team with the exception of Willie Parker.
    Unfortunately if a person plays mediocre or poor at Cornerback/DB their performance usually sticks out like a sore thumb more so than any other member on the defense.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The way Ike was so down on himself last year, and from what we read about his teammates saying he just wasn't the same guy; this is refreshing to hear him atleast appear to be bouncing back with a positive attitude. He's got a new leash on his NFL life so it's time to take advantage of it. We have the potential to be with 2 top notch CB's for a long time if they both continue to improve.

I Like Ike!

Ike needs this. He needs to shut up all the critics who say the Steelers obviously "need" a CB. He is still good and like I have said before, he can bounce back. He is just like Ben without the concussions. He just needs a coach who can give him confidence back. I think Tomlin along with Dick LeBeau with give it back to him. I love the fact that Ike is working hard to get it back. That is exactly the kind of player we have been missing at CB! Chad Scott wasn't it, niether was Dewyane "Can't cover grass" Washington. I hope Ike gets back into his form of shutting down top recievers like Ocho Cinco or "that player" or Starvin Marvin.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Thread Information