Thread: Some position break downs after the vikings game

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Some position break downs after the vikings game

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06233/715129-66.stm

The Breakdown

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger -- He was not trying to emulate the K-Gun offense formerly employed by the Buffalo Bills. He wasn't even trying to be Tommy Gun. But he ran the no-huddle offense for the first time in Saturday night's 17-10 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, and he did it with aplomb -- producing the Steelers' only touchdown with a 16-yard pass to wide receiver Cedrick Wilson in the first series. The Steelers had the no-huddle offense in their playbook -- they call it "Texas" -- but they haven't used the attack since Tommy Maddox was their starting quarterback, said offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. Based on the results, the Steelers might even use it more. "Other teams have done it and had success with it," Whisenhunt said. "It will be part of our package because it's another dimension that somebody else has to work on."

Wide receiver Nate Washington -- He did not catch a pass in the preseason opener in Arizona, but he had three catches for 53 yards against the Vikings, including a 20-yarder. For the second game in a row, he ran a reverse, this time on the first play from scrimmage. Washington gained 20 yards to the Vikings' 35 to help set up the first touchdown.

Center Chukky Okobi -- Coach Bill Cowher said after the game he will give right guard Kendall Simmons some time at center in Friday night's game in Philadelphia. But the urgency to ensure depth behind All-Pro center Jeff Hartings might not be so great because Okobi, who had neck surgery Aug. 9, said he is planning to return against the Carolina Panthers in the final preseason game Aug. 31. "Ever see the X-Men? Wolverine?" Okobi said. "That's how I heal." Okobi, though, doesn't have a claw.

Running back Verron Haynes -- All he does is gain yards every time he touches the ball. Haynes is the team's third-down back and is not about to lose his job anytime soon. He caught three passes for 31 yards and carried two times for 9 yards.

Free safety Ryan Clark -- He admitted to jitters in his first start since being acquired in free agency from the Washington Redskins, which might explain a missed tackle behind the line on running back Chester Taylor on third down. Clark atoned for the mistake when he later dropped Taylor for a 1-yard loss, but he understands he will continue to rotate at the position with Tyrone Carter, who will probably start against the Eagles. "Especially after missing the tackle," Clark said.

Inside linebacker Rian Wallace -- After getting a shot at outside linebacker in training camp, Wallace also got a shot at running back -- sort of -- against the Vikings. He intercepted a pass by Vikings quarterback Mike McMahon and made a nice run to return for 27 yards to set up Jeff Reed's 32-yard field goal.

Defensive end Shaun Nua -- Last year's seventh-round draft choice was the only casualty against the Vikings, sustaining a sprained ankle. But that might not be his only casualty. Nua has dropped to third team and might even be running behind rookie Orien Harris as the seventh defensive lineman.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Sounds like Okobi should be back soon. Glad to hear that.

Also glad that Ryan Clark owns up to his mistakes. Hopefully he learns from them.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i just hope okobi isn't being a retard and coming back to soon. i hope orien harris does good and makes the team cause i wanna see him do good in the regular season so irvin can say from the the U lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Stuck in damned cincinnati ..Raised in western pa
    I would like to see Haynes have more of a roll

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert, 1990 HOF Induction Speech

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aunkster
    I would like to see Haynes have more of a roll
    Yeah, I cant disagree with you. He's looking better game by game and is likely going be overlooked by other teams.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Amazed
    And what about Staley.......you know the guy who wore the gray sweat suit most of last season and stood by Cowher on the sidelines. Dressed for the superbowl, didn't play anf got I think it iwas 3 yards the other night. Sorry I think the guy is useless we need TJ to replace him!~
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerlyn
    And what about Staley.......you know the guy who wore the gray sweat suit most of last season and stood by Cowher on the sidelines. Dressed for the superbowl, didn't play anf got I think it iwas 3 yards the other night. Sorry I think the guy is useless we need TJ to replace him!~
    He hasn't looked to good so far, but I'm not sure if it's because of the line in front of him or because he hasn't played in a game since i don't know... the Green Bay game maybe??? Ricky Williams took some time off and didn't look to good either at the beginning of the season but he came on towards the end. Fortunately, Duce has been staying in shape and not trying to get int touch with his inner peace and smoking some stuff...

I think Duce is going to need a few games then we'll see the Duce from 04 again, I'm not ready to throw in the towel for him just yet... he has shown he a gamer in the past and I feel he still has a lot in the tank.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure Chukki is anxious to come back, he said that he feels better than ever but we'll see when he takes that first hit how he holds up. We do need him that's for sure.

Ryan Clark sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. He'll make some mistakes, everyone does just learning this defense but if he continues to catch on, it'll be a good competition between him and the others.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    What reciver do you think nate will play at

Thread Information