Thread: Bears Officially Tag Lance Briggs.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Bears Officially Tag Lance Briggs.....

The Bears took the first step toward keeping their star-studded defense intact for 2007 on Friday. Lance Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl selection at linebacker scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, was officially named the team's franchise player. Briggs is now guaranteed a one-year contract valued at $7.2 million for next season.

Per the Bears:
    The Chicago Bears placed the franchise tag on outside linebacker Lance Briggs today, guaranteeing the fifth-year player the average salary of the five highest-paid NFL players at his position next season.

The franchise tag allows the Bears a chance to match any offer or receive two first-round draft picks from that team as compensation.

Briggs has been named to the Pro Bowl following the last two seasons, including his first career selection as a starter following the 2006 season in which he recorded a career-high 176 tackles to rank second on the team. Starting 61 of 64 career games played, he led the Bears with 117 solo tackles while ranking second with 10 tackles for loss and nine pass break-ups. The consensus first-team All-Pro selection in 2005 was a second-team All-Pro pick in 2006

By John M. Crist
    Editor in Chief
    Posted Feb 16, 2007
    Urlacher and Briggs still together, these 2 guys compliment each other really good. Briggs deserves a good contract compared to what Urlacher got a few years ago.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Good move by the Bears but I think this is something that someone on SA predicted... kudos to whoever that was

Briggs is good, I had a chance to watch him in college at the University of Arizona. The Bears would be stupid to let him get away because he would probably be a superstar on any other team... your right though he and Urlacher really compliement one another!

Now if they would sign there coach to an extension !

Thread Information