Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preseason 1 game - My thoughts

Bookmark and Share

Preseason 1 game - My thoughts

Curtosy of NFL.game pass and being outside the USA i get to watch ALL the NFL games from every team.

Here's a quick snapshot of my thoughts of the Steelers Giants.

Steelers have an EMBARASSMENT of RICHES at the linbacker position.

Good grief, we are STOCKED here. I was hoping to see Shazier but Sean Spence got the start and feck me, did he make the most of it! He was a man posseed, flying to the ball against the starters, made plays all over. Then when he was pulled, vince Williams came in and you could just hear him muttering to himself, ( my starting ILB position ) and HE was awsome too.

OLB Chris Carter was also fantastic, getting great pressure off the edge and some great moves. Even ( 57 name eludes me for now ) made an impact with a monster hit.

Shamarko thomas... man is he quick, and hits HARD!!

Cam Thomas - was ok nothing special.

Mike Mitchell. Between Mitchell Thomas and Polomalu we seriously have the hardest hitting Safties in the league period!

Offence... Dri ARCHER!!! I've not seen him play before but he was electric! Really impressed.

WR - We seriously have some talented Wr's but still very unclear who is going to make the roster! M Wheaton made a fantastic catch under pressure on a VERY key 3rd down

Negatives.

MIKE ADAMS.. JUST GO!!! He gave up a sack ( to PP ) and was just horrible even when facing second and third string players. I can forgive the sack against PP as PP make a lot of people look stupid, but against the 2nd and third stingers was only when he started to look comfortable, which goes to show the level of his play... 3rd string!

Our O Line startes were pretty damm good. Opening drive opening great holes for Bell/Blount to make full use of. When the second team got in it was VERY noticable. Can't say any 2nd or 3rd string linemen made any case for pushing a starter. Grad ( our 2nd string QB ) couldn't make any throws properly as he was running for his life most the time through our pourous O Line.

Overall despite the loss some very encouraging signs ( even from Landry Jones! LOL ) but it was HUGELY disapointing to see Jennings rip us up for 73 yards, and that our 2nd team o linemen was appaluing!
    Last edited by Blitzburghpete; 08-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

cornerback it still is the weak link, m. bryant was terrible wheaton and justin brown looked solid

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Preseason 1 game - My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by acero View Post
    cornerback it still is the weak link, m. bryant was terrible wheaton and justin brown looked solid
    They only gave up 141 yards through the air, most of which came in that final 80 yard TD drive with the scrubs.

I thought Bryant showed his potential but also that he is raw, which we knew. McCullers the same.

For me, the biggest concern was that the second string O line was awful but it is mitigated by the fact that the Giants played their starters a lot longer than we did.

Considering that it was the Giants second preseason game and only our first, I thought it was a good effort.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    This was the Giants second preseason game and our first. We also took out our first teamers a little before the Giants did (which I am grateful we did). I held my breath every time Bell or Archer got the ball. I hate preseason injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    They only gave up 141 yards through the air, most of which came in that final 80 yard TD drive with the scrubs.

I thought Bryant showed his potential but also that he is raw, which we knew. McCullers the same.

For me, the biggest concern was that the second string O line was awful but it is mitigated by the fact that the Giants played their starters a lot longer than we did.

Considering that it was the Giants second preseason game and only our first, I thought it was a good effort.

^^^^^ This agree with wholeheartedly.

Our corners actually did really well. You never got to see or hear much about them, as they were

1 - covering very well
    2 - not making big mistakes

You only really hear about corners when they mess up which ours didn't, even players i've not heard of before.

For me as per the OP, the BIGGEST worry was 2nd string o line men loooking frankly appaluiling. i mean REALLLY REALLY bad.

Grad could get nothing going cos as soon as he was at his drop back position, he was already having to avoid people. Cody Wallace i'm afaid wasn't up to speed ( he's second string ).

I just hope that Mike Munchak can make something from the reserves cos from what i saw from the giants game, he's not got much talent to work with if a starter goes down!

OOh one more positive. RB Poole looked really hungry on special teams ( sort of forced a fumble ) and was always there to make tackles and looked sharp when he played on offence too

Oh 2 more things.

Mcullers was an interesting one to watch. He quite obviously has no technique at all, but, and it's a very big favourable BUT, watching the Giants o line having to deal with him, they tended to double team him a lot, which is exactly what you need a DT /NT to do. Furthermore, mcullers just seemed to stand up and walk 2 people back, about 3 to 4 yards per play, again exactly what you need a NT to do

I also noticed he's far more athletic than people give him credit for, as he was always there or thereabouts to the ball carrier, ie he hustled very well.

So although stat wise he didn't do much, it was opening holes for others plus he was hustling very well

Zumwalt, again impressed in the limited time he had. Nothing special but solid none the less. Unfortunately the ILB position is our stongest i've seen for a while. I'd give sean spence a roster spot on this game alone. For me Sean Spence was the highlight of the steelers.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post

I agree with this.
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ornery
    And Spence is on the team.
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

@Alex_Kozora: Jordan Zumwalt didn't play a single snap on special teams yesterday. That's a really good way to get yourself cut. #Steelers

My Mood
    Addicted
    My biggest disappointment was with Brad Wing. His punting seemed below average, I had high hopes for him. If Podelish ever shows up and even does average Wing is probably booted (pun intended).

Thread Information