Thread: Jarvis Jones - Technically unsound his rookie year

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Jarvis Jones - Technically unsound his rookie year

A lot of discussion recently on Jarvis Jones and his uneventful and disappointing rookie year. I found this article from another site that might help explain his troubles. The good news is that his technique can be corrected, if he is willing to put in the work. The article is very long, so I will just post the link.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07...versus-talent/

Played ok in the last game
    Here We Go Steelers Here We Go

Waterboy
    Interesting point about his technique... I too have my doubts about Jarvis. Though I will say I was very impressed during last year's camp in regard to his play making skills but if doesn't get stronger and I mean a lot stronger... he won't amount to much.

2nd String
    If you have to remember all that while your trying to rush the QB how the heck are you going to get anything done. flex your ankle, push off the back foot, transfer weight to the other foot, explode into pads, ugh. I don't buy it. No one thinks through all that in as much time as it takes to get to the QB. Course what do I know?

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Jarvis Jones - Technically unsound his rookie year

Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    If you have to remember all that while your trying to rush the QB how the heck are you going to get anything done. flex your ankle, push off the back foot, transfer weight to the other foot, explode into pads, ugh. I don't buy it. No one thinks through all that in as much time as it takes to get to the QB. Course what do I know?
    Which is probably why he was not very good. He WAS thinking about it. He will play well when it is second nature and he does not have to think about technique.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    After reviewing the sack against the Giants it appeared to me he took a terrible angle to Eli and was lucky enough to get one paw on him and bring him down. That won't cut it against the bigger, stronger QBs like Cam Newton.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    It worked great for the Steeler LBs before him. Typically this represents a guy that played HS and college on natural talent and was never coached properly in the correct technique. Hopefully Butler and Porter can coach this kid up and it won't be as such thinking as muscle memory. He had terrible technique last year and the article outlines it. At lower levels such as HS and college he could get by with this and rely on physical talent and playing against lesser opponents. This won't cut it in the NFL, as we saw last year.
    Last edited by ChucktownSteeler; 08-16-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Thread Information