Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Jarvis going against the tight ends

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    317

    Jarvis going against the tight ends

    In the Thursday drill, the tight ends had their way with the linebackers, and that assessment came directly from Tomlin. For example, Heath Miller put Jarvis Jones on the ground three different times in what was a definitive win for the offense. That's from the Steerler's web site. I didn't want to insert the whole article. I've stated before I've got reservations about this new stronger Jarvis Jones. Heath plants him three times. Doesn't just block him, knocks him on the ground. Heath is a fine tight end and one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL I think but I'm wondering why Jones couldn't, using his speed, athleticism, new found strenght manage a single win against him? Yeah I know it's trianing camp and i've been told over and over to give the kid a chance. 8 starts one sack. We'll see. I hope he plays over the top this year. We need a good pass rush.

  2. #2
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,578
    My Mood
    Addicted
    That doesn't bode well.

  3. #3
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,033
    It's funny how you make a thread mentioning how ****** he did in one drill, despite all the other positives he's had. It seems like you were just waiting for him to have a couple bad reps so you could post about it.

  4. #4
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    It's funny how you make a thread mentioning how ****** he did in one drill, despite all the other positives he's had. It seems like you were just waiting for him to have a couple bad reps so you could post about it.
    Intersting response. I've been questioning Jarvis' ability since last year. I'm still hopeful he was the right pick. Now as to "it seems you were just waiting for him to have a couple bad reps" You serious? Yeah I sit at home and pour over all the news from training camp waiting for Jarvis to have a "couple" bad reps. It's a point of discussion that's all, about an important draft pick from last year. Heath didn't just block him , he put him on the ground three times. That's significant for a guy hired to rush the QB no? I apologize since it seems I offended you in some way, but I enjoy talking about the Steelers and the stuff that comes out of training camp. Again with the drafts this team has had the last few years I think it's important that Jarvis play well this year. The positives in training camp are just as ephemeral as the negatives. We'll see how he does when the season starts and he goes up against starting tackles in the league. Interesting response though from you. Thanks

  5. #5
    Draft Pick FlatsSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    492
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    What is really funny is the post was significant enough to be posted on the Team web site and written by the HC but not worthy of this hallow rose colored forum.......Now I am really glad I didn't post how Shamarko Thomas s is showing his true colors this year. And the 5-foot-9, 217-pounder doesn't discriminate. Thomas has knocked hard to the ground running backs and receivers but also has run through offensive linemen Mike Adams and Maurkice Pouncey.......Oh well I guess I just did......

  6. #6
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    Intersting response. I've been questioning Jarvis' ability since last year. I'm still hopeful he was the right pick. Now as to "it seems you were just waiting for him to have a couple bad reps" You serious? Yeah I sit at home and pour over all the news from training camp waiting for Jarvis to have a "couple" bad reps. It's a point of discussion that's all, about an important draft pick from last year. Heath didn't just block him , he put him on the ground three times. That's significant for a guy hired to rush the QB no? I apologize since it seems I offended you in some way, but I enjoy talking about the Steelers and the stuff that comes out of training camp. Again with the drafts this team has had the last few years I think it's important that Jarvis play well this year. The positives in training camp are just as ephemeral as the negatives. We'll see how he does when the season starts and he goes up against starting tackles in the league. Interesting response though from you. Thanks
    There's a lot of guys on here that just root for certain players to fail (FlatsSteeler: Pouncey, RDS: Ike...), so when they do something positive they don't say ****, but when they **** up they're the first to talk about it. It's annoying. With all the good stuff Jarvis has done thus far in camp, it just seemed like another one of those cases since a thread was made talking about his couple bad reps. I apologize if that's not the case, but it just happens so often on here.

    Anyway. It was a run blocking drill, not a pass rushing drill. And it's a drill that's more geared toward the blocker, like backs on backers is more geared toward the backers. Heath handled Jarvis Thursday. Jarvis handled Spaeth Wednesday (a better blocker than Heath and one of the best run blocking TEs in the league), resulting in praise from Tomlin. Jones also dominated Beachum Monday in one-one-one pass rush drills, resulting in Joey Porter "going nuts". That was the point of my hyperbole. He's done some great stuff thus far in camp and has had an overall good camp so far.
    Last edited by Big T; 08-02-2014 at 12:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Draft Pick FlatsSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    492
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Ok here is my Pouncey Positive for Today.......He put his Left Cleat on his Left foot and after some intense deliberation he realized the Right foot would get the Remaining Cleat.......

  8. #8
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,578
    My Mood
    Addicted
    As we are discussing my concern has to tbe the tackles. I read as well that Shamarko Thomas planted Mike Adams on his wallet this week. Also read that Beachum did get handled by Jones as well. There is no fix now, but the tackle situation on this team has to raising a few eyebrows, especially when you have a franchise QB.

  9. #9
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,761
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

    Jarvis going against the tight ends

    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    As we are discussing my concern has to tbe the tackles. I read as well that Shamarko Thomas planted Mike Adams on his wallet this week. Also read that Beachum did get handled by Jones as well. There is no fix now, but the tackle situation on this team has to raising a few eyebrows, especially when you have a franchise QB.
    I am not saying that OT is not a question mark but keep in mind that if an OT stuffs Shamarko 9 times but Shamarko gets the better of him on number 10, the media is more likely to report number 10. Even if they do report it, the fans are also more likely to remember reading number 10.

    Beachum played well last season and I do not see much of a reason (he is injured or came in out of shape) why he would not play at least as well this season. Adams is nothing but an extra tight end in our big package right now, so if there is anything to worry about it is only his long-term development and not immediate need. Gilbert did an adequate job on the right side.

    One final point. Take such drills with a grain of salt. Just like a pitcher in spring training may go into a game with the intent of working on a specific pitch instead of using his entire repertoire, Jones may be working on a specific move or technique. It is easier for a veteran like Heath to knock a guy on his wallet when he knows what is coming.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  10. #10
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    There's a lot of guys on here that just root for certain players to fail (FlatsSteeler: Pouncey, RDS: Ike...), so when they do something positive they don't say ****, but when they **** up they're the first to talk about it. It's annoying. With all the good stuff Jarvis has done thus far in camp, it just seemed like another one of those cases since a thread was made talking about his couple bad reps. I apologize if that's not the case, but it just happens so often on here.

    Anyway. It was a run blocking drill, not a pass rushing drill. And it's a drill that's more geared toward the blocker, like backs on backers is more geared toward the backers. Heath handled Jarvis Thursday. Jarvis handled Spaeth Wednesday (a better blocker than Heath and one of the best run blocking TEs in the league), resulting in praise from Tomlin. Jones also dominated Beachum Monday in one-one-one pass rush drills, resulting in Joey Porter "going nuts". That was the point of my hyperbole. He's done some great stuff thus far in camp and has had an overall good camp so far.
    I am not sure I'm ready to admit Spaeth is a better blocker than Heath. However when planted on the ground by a tight end that's significant. I'm glad he's had a good overall camp. You are correct in one of the criticisms you offer. I do tend to focus on Jarvis a little more than others because he was a number one pick last year. He contributed almost nothing. THat is also significant. I've stated openly that I desperately want to be wrong about this pick. I want him to dominate. But with the focus on the drafts we've had lately I think it's not out of the norm to focus on a guy that is a number one pick. That's all. Thanks for pointing out the positives. I hope it's a sign of growth. Let's look forward to him being an impact player this year

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Two tight ends until Wesley Saunders returns?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
  2. How will the Steelers handle the Patriots Tight Ends
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
  3. Steeler trio of Tight ends
    By Steel Trap86 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
  5. Steelers embrace luxury of 3 tight ends
    By Captcoolhand in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •