Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis going against the tight ends

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    Maybe the framework is the problem
    The playbook (takes time to learn), individual assignments (takes time to learn), technique (takes time to learn/refine), there's a lot of variables. Some guys can come in and pick it all up right away and go out there and play without having to think, some can't. Troy is a classic example. Some people were calling him a bust after his rookie year because he didn't start and rarely saw the field. I'm not saying Jarvis is going to be an All-Pro OLB this year, but I expect him to be much better. The team needs him to be much better.

To touch on your point about why rookies in recent memory haven't been thrown onto the field there rookie years... When that was true (which it isn't anymore), there were always veterans on the roster that were better options. Like 2010, Jason Worilds was drafted in the 2nd round. Who are you going to give him playing time over? LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison were probably the best OLB duo in the league. You aren't taking one of them off the field just to give Worilds some playing time. It's not always about the defense being so hard to learn. Last year and this year are completely different. We NEED young guys to step in and be big time contributors. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Jarvis started 8 games, Shamarko played a ton early on, and both struggled. They were at least part of the reason we went 0-4. They weren really ready but they were thrown out there out of necessity. Shazier will be starting this year, Tuitt will be playing a lot and likely starting some point during the season. There aren't guys like Larry Foote, James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisle for them to sit behind and learn from. We're gonna be them to contribute now.

2nd String
    BigT I get that and I agree with you. However my point I think is still valid. The defense even with this supposed complicated framework, hasn't been all that great last couple of years. So maybe this defensive scheme isn't the right fit for the talent on the team? If it takes so long to learn then surely injuries will kill this defense, since a rookie isn't going to step in and play well due to the framework? It seems to me that other teams with good defenses can find a couple guys here and there that can step in and play. As to the talent level maybe that has to do with who we're drafting? So if Ike gets burned badly and is expecting inside help from the safeties, Troy and Ryan, why isn't it there? Those two know the defense as well as it can be know no? If it's so complicated that one slip up leaves us exposed like that maybe we need to rethink it at some point? That's all I"m saying. I appreciate the discussion though!

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    BigT I get that and I agree with you. However my point I think is still valid. The defense even with this supposed complicated framework, hasn't been all that great last couple of years. So maybe this defensive scheme isn't the right fit for the talent on the team? If it takes so long to learn then surely injuries will kill this defense, since a rookie isn't going to step in and play well due to the framework? It seems to me that other teams with good defenses can find a couple guys here and there that can step in and play. As to the talent level maybe that has to do with who we're drafting? So if Ike gets burned badly and is expecting inside help from the safeties, Troy and Ryan, why isn't it there? Those two know the defense as well as it can be know no? If it's so complicated that one slip up leaves us exposed like that maybe we need to rethink it at some point? That's all I"m saying. I appreciate the discussion though!
    I too get frustrated with hearing about how long it takes a Steeler to learn the defence and to contribute. I wonder if it's not something to do with the coaching staff?. The last time the Packers won the S.B. they grabbed a guy off the street who hadn't played all year (Palumbo or some name like that) because they were hit by injuries in the lb's and he came in and played like an all pro. I remember thinking what the hell,if they can do it why can't the Steelers?.

The questioning of Jones is fair to be honest. Not sure why some get bent out of shape. September 7th is coming and the preseason will begin shortly, he should be improved this year with another offseason of studying and getting stronger. Also, with the emergence of Cam Heyward, there should be no excuse this year from Jones.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    The questioning of Jones is fair to be honest. Not sure why some get bent out of shape. September 7th is coming and the preseason will begin shortly, he should be improved this year with another offseason of studying and getting stronger. Also, with the emergence of Cam Heyward, there should be no excuse this year from Jones.
    Not when it is based on a second-hand media report of a one on one drill in practice.

Don't get me wrong. We are all guilty of it to some degree but even pre-season games are pretty thin gruel to be getting worried about. A practice drill (that we did not see) is the thinnest yet.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    The coach himself thought enough of the drill to mention it. Last year I heard the same thing about Jones and training camp and pre-season. We see how that turned out. One sack in 8 starts. So the drill was important enough for the steeler staff to mention and they DID see it no? Like I said there's no upside in Jones failing. All of us want to see him succeed. But all we have to talk about right now it stuff coming out of camp. So i guess it's all exceedingly thin. We'll see soon.

It's the same framework that worked for all those AFC championship and Super Bowl appearances in the past. The point is, we had aging veterans who could not play anymore and needed young, raw talent to step in at a time when they still need to be developed. It's a problem because we were losing (or 8-8). It was not a problem when we were getting to the quarterback and winning. The defense this year can be one of the fastest and hard hitting defenses we have had in awhile.

On a personal note, I take nothing into consideration in the preseason. Too many times the Steelers looked good in the preseason and had a decent regular season. Likewise, they have had some brutal preseasons and did well in the regular season. You don't know how hard those guys are going. You don't know how much of the playbook is being used. I only address the backups and thats sparingly.
    Last edited by SteelCityKid5; 08-04-2014 at 09:12 AM.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Harping on battles in practice is meaningless. The jury is out on Jones. His rookie season was nothing to write home about. Okay. That's most rookies right? So let's just see what he brings this year and then we can judge. The one's who are judging after one year are grasping at straws.
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    Harping on battles in practice is meaningless. The jury is out on Jones. His rookie season was nothing to write home about. Okay. That's most rookies right? So let's just see what he brings this year and then we can judge. The one's who are judging after one year are grasping at straws.
    High 1st round Pass Rushers? The ones that become, what Jones was billed as, generally start right away and have success.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    High 1st round Pass Rushers? The ones that become, what Jones was billed as, generally start right away and have success.
    Theres just a ton of cases that disprove that.

Thread Information