Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis going against the tight ends

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I read a lot about the greatest of Spaeth, but I just don't remember seeing it. And if he was so great, why did they let him skate off to Chicago? Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see it in this guy. I do have very high hopes for Rob Branchflower, I hope he pans out.

I am willing to give Jones a little more time, Harrison was cut by the Steelers and Ravens 5 or 6 times before he even sniffed the field. I am not sure Jones was ready last year or it was the Steelers plan to start him. He came out of college early and I think the Steelers thought he would learn from Harrison for a year or 2, but Harrison refused the pay cut. Let's see what Jones has to offer this year. He should be a bit more comfortable with the playbook.

If you can't see how good a run blocker Matt Spaeth is, you aren't paying enough attention to him on run plays. He's a whole bunch of "meh" in the receiving department, but the man can run block.

Rookie Free Agent
    Heath Miller is the best all around TE in the last 20 years. I am not sure this is such a big deal. Heath can block with the best of the TE's.

Keep waters and blanch and dump spaeth...

When are draft picks from one year ago going to be able to get the chance to develop? Not all are emerging superstars. It takes time. Everyone transitions into the NFL differently. Plus, Heath isn't some backup tight-end either.
    Last edited by SteelCityKid5; 08-03-2014 at 08:52 AM.

2nd String
    I get that SteelCity. However when was the last time one of our defensive picks came in and contributed in a meaningful way year one. Happens a lot on other teams. Even undrafted rookies. Looking back over the past few years maybe, just maybe, we need to evaluate how our guys are developed. We spent some serious draft picks on the defense this year. By all accounts some of them are having pretty good camps. Will we see them play right away? We were 8 - 8 last year and the year before. How about we play these guys now? If the defensive scheme is so damn hard to paly it takes three years to get comfortable in it maybe we need to change it. It's not like the D set the world on fire last year. Why does Ike get burned so many times thinking he has "safety help" when it doesn't show up? who's wrong? Troy and Ryan knew the D last year no? They were the safeties. To me Jarvis just didn't show any ability to rush the passer last year. As has been pointed out to me it's said he's having a good camp. I hope so.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    There's a lot of guys on here that just root for certain players to fail (FlatsSteeler: Pouncey, RDS: Ike...), so when they do something positive they don't say ****, but when they **** up they're the first to talk about it. It's annoying. With all the good stuff Jarvis has done thus far in camp, it just seemed like another one of those cases since a thread was made talking about his couple bad reps. I apologize if that's not the case, but it just happens so often on here.

Anyway. It was a run blocking drill, not a pass rushing drill. And it's a drill that's more geared toward the blocker, like backs on backers is more geared toward the backers. Heath handled Jarvis Thursday. Jarvis handled Spaeth Wednesday (a better blocker than Heath and one of the best run blocking TEs in the league), resulting in praise from Tomlin. Jones also dominated Beachum Monday in one-one-one pass rush drills, resulting in Joey Porter "going nuts". That was the point of my hyperbole. He's done some great stuff thus far in camp and has had an overall good camp so far.
    Big T,

Dude, I don't root against Ike. I told you and K-Train BEFORE the season even started that Ike wasn't that good. And your upset that the season for him went just like I told you it would. He's not that good. You act like such a baby when someone puts you on the spot and your proven wrong. Your still bringing up something that's over a year old. Like a woman. Grow up dude. I have nothing to prove on Ike. Ike proved it for me. Much to your dismay. Move on dude. Now, other people as of late have been ragging on Ike because of his ineptness yet I don't see you saying anything about them. All that is stuck in your mind is how I called it BEFORE he made it so plain for the world to see. Hahahahaha. Good to know I still dominate your mind. peace.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

There he is. I was wondering how long you were going to stay away from here

Keith Butler on Jarvis Jones:

"Jarvis looks a lot better. He's confident in what he's doing. He's still making a mistake every now and then, but he's very sudden, very quick. He's got great short-area quickness. He just has to learn to keep himself out of positions where he gets in a foot race. I think last year he was doing more thinking than he should have when he came off the ball. He was trying to do what we were requiring him to do in terms of playing within the framework of the defense. I think he knows a little bit more about the framework of the defense this year. He knows what he can do and what he can't do.

http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?it...02112124591355

2nd String
    Maybe the framework is the problem

Thread Information