Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Notes

Bookmark and Share
    @EdBouchette: Just sat down with Steelers Ben Roethlisberger. Interesting. His relationship with OC Todd Haley has reached point he calls him a "friend.''

@EdBouchette: For first time, Roethlisberger worked with a personal trainer this year. Said at 32, he felt it was time to make sure he stays in top shape

@EdBouchette: With arm strengthening drills, Ben said his arm is stronger than ever, and receivers have told him as much.

@EdBouchette: Ben says there was a misconception about his reaction to Steelers first-round draft pick. Said he was not upset they took LB, not WR...

@EdBouchette: ...He said that infamous previously unknown text he sent to his agent after they drafted Ryan Shazier was merely asking him who he was.

@EdBouchette: As for Art Rooney II telling him there will be no contract extension this year, Ben says he understands and is content with it.

@EdBouchette: Ben says the Steelers indeed plan to go with the no-huddle offense much more this year.

@EdBouchette: Roethlisberger, once suspended 4 games by NFL, on Ray Rice's 2-games: "We all know the league has its reasons for things .''

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey expressed disappointment that he was named in a civil lawsuit Friday in which the three plaintiffs, including two women, accused him and his twin brother, Mike, of assaulting them at a Miami Beach nightclub.

Police are investigating the incident, but no charges have been filed.

“I’m a man about everything,” Pouncey said Saturday before the team’s first practice of training camp. “You all know every time I made a mistake I admitted to it. For something like this to happen and have no involvement in it is upsetting and hurtful to me. You know it’s on my mind like crazy. Hopefully it will blow over.”

Pouncey said he has no concerns about facing discipline from the NFL for the incident.

“No fear at all,” he said. “The only thing that sucks about it is I tried to keep a clean nose throughout this process. Having to deal with this, it sucks. It truly does.”

Pouncey said he went to great lengths to avoid problems at his birthday party. He hired a former police officer to provide security for the event.

“For something like this to happen it’s truly unbelievable,” he said. “I just want to apologize to any fans that take this the wrong way. You guys all know me and the person I am. For people to say bad things it sucks. Sometimes you have to deal with that in life and move on.”

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201407260004

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey will be fighting fire with fire. In response to the lawsuit filed against them on Friday, they’ll be exercising their right to sue the persons who have sued them.

“The allegations in the complaint about my clients are completely false,” attorney Jeffrey M. Ostrow tells PFT via email. “As I previously stated, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey had absolutely no involvement whatsoever in the alleged incident that evening and did nothing wrong. This claim is a complete sham. The plaintiffs and their lawyer are perpetuating these lies in a bid for notoriety and financial gain. We intend to defend this case through trial if necessary and will be filing a counterclaim for malicious prosecution and defamation.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sham-lawsuit/
    Last edited by Big T; 07-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    If he did knock that woman out he can take comfort in the fact that the NFL/Goodell will only sit him for 2 games......

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatsSteeler View Post
    If he did knock that woman out he can take comfort in the fact that the NFL/Goodell will only sit him for 2 games......
    LMAO ok that was good.

@bkeisel99: I see ya 7.., I mean 99.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger opens up about no-huddle, contract, Ray Rice
    July 26, 2014 2:50 PM
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley were embroiled in a deep discussion today. The Steelers offensive coordinator talked about doing it one way and the quarterback said he would not do it at all.

“He talked to me about water skiing,” Roethlisberger said. “He said he went barefoot skiing and is still feeling the pain.”

Roethlisberger will not test his feet or knees by water skiing at age 32, but he knows all about the growing pains of working with a new offensive coordinator. Things did not go smoothly between them their first season in 2012, but that relationship advanced so far since the middle of last season that the quarterback says he now calls Haley a friend.

“Very rarely in life in general do you meet someone and hit it off and you’re best friends right away,” Roethlisberger said during a lengthy interview today. “There’s always a feeling-out period, especially when you have people who are guarded because of their profession, just who we are.

“But I think we are friends. Obviously, work is always first, but I think we’re getting along great.”

The Steelers offense should benefit from it.

At 32, Roethlisberger feels like a kid again. He has coaches who seem to finally agree to take the no-huddle offense from the back burner and make it a more important part of their game plan. He worked with a personal trainer and a nutritionist this year for the first time and has his weight down and endurance up. And he concentrated on strengthening his right arm.

“My arm is stronger than it’s been in my career, I believe. Even in [spring] practices and minicamp the receivers said, ‘Ben that ball is getting to us a lot quicker, with a lot more spin on it, it feels real good.’ That should translate into better play.”

Why now with all the offseason work?

“I felt like the time is right. That youth wears off. You start getting to 32, it’s time. As your body deteriorates, your natural talents start to go a little bit. You have to bring in physical working out, building, taking protein and doing extra stuff.

“I want this year to be my best year and if I have to do extra things I’m going to do it.”

Last season turned into a pretty good year for the quarterback, but one he could not savor because the Steelers went 2-6 in the first half and finished a second consecutive 8-8. But that 6-2 second half may have set the table for 2014, especially when it comes to running the no-huddle.

Previous coaches such as Bruce Arians talked a good game when it came to the no-huddle but for one reason or another would not commit to it. Haley did that in the second half of last season and it produced all kinds of benefits, including many fewer sacks of Roethlisberger, a better run game and more victories.

The quarterback spoke to his offensive coaches and Mike Tomlin about it after the season.

“The no-huddle was always in but it was always sitting back here on the back burner -- keep it warm for week five or six or whenever we needed it, if we needed it.

“I said, ‘Guys, the way the season ended last year, to me, our best offense is the no-huddle.’ I still understand we have to run the ball, we have to bring in three tight ends, you have to have short yardage. But when we were at our best, we were in the no-huddle.

“This needs to be an integral part of our offense, maybe not our base offense but it needs to be something that’s not just sitting on the back burner.”

The coaches bought it, then implemented it during spring practices. Ben Roethlisberger was made for the no-huddle and finally, they’re going to let him run it more often than in the two-minute drill or when they get behind.

It also had the benefit of keeping their quarterback upright for a change. He was sacked just seven times in the final seven games of 2013, the safest seven-game stretch of his career.

“When you’re in the no-huddle and converting, the defense has to back down, they can’t call their crazy stuff. That’s to your advantage as an offense. You see the Denver Broncos, the Patriots and these guys run this stuff and it’s so successful because it slows defenses down.”

Roethlisberger touched on a number of other topics during today’s interview. Among them:

• He reacted to Friday’s statement by Steelers president Art Rooney II that they would not negotiate a contract extension for him this year, but next. Traditionally, the Steelers have signed their starting quarterback to an extension while he still had two years left on his current deal, as Roethlisberger does now.

“As I put my faith and trust in them, when the time is right, we’ll get it done. Now I can just concentrate on football.”

• On what he said in a text to agent Ryan Tollner after the Steelers drafted linebacker Ryan Shazier and not a wide receiver in the first round in May.

“I asked who he was. Honestly, I never heard of him, Ryan Shazier.”

He said people wrongly assumed he was unhappy with the pick.

“It was more, ‘Give me info on this guy.’ Ryan knows about every player, pretty much. ‘What do you know?’ If he can help this team – which I’ve seen so far I think he can – I’m not at all [upset]. Right now, I think he’s going to be a big help for us. I can’t wait until we put the pads on, that will be a key, but he looks pretty good.”

• On the two-game suspension NFL commissioner Roger Goodell gave Baltimore halfback Ray Rice for knocking out his girlfriend and dragging her unconscious from an elevator, all caught on tape and duly charged by the authorities:

“I read a lot of the comments about how people are saying for drugs or marijuana you get four games and for this you don’t. We all know the league has its reasons for things and they’re the say-all. As long as they don’t cut it down to one, I guess we won’t see him.”

The Steelers play at Baltimore in the second game of the season.

First Published July 26, 2014 12:00 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201407260139
    Last edited by Big T; 07-26-2014 at 05:41 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    @bkeisel99: I see ya 7.., I mean 99.

I often wondered if this was a tribute or a jab at the F.O. He did the same with Max Starks.

Draft Pick
    It's surprising and not a little disappointing for a professional athlete that he's waited till this stage in his career to get a personal trainer and to take training and nutrition seriously. Maybe some of those injuries earlier in his career could have been avoided or his performances could have been even better?.

• There was plenty of talk over the past three months about the speed of rookie third-round pick Dri Archer. But the question was how the Steelers were going to best use Archer within the scheme of their offense. It didn't take long for them to figure that out. Early during Saturday's first practice of training camp, the Steelers lined up with four wide receivers and put Archer in the slot to the left. The defense had to counter by sliding out inside linebacker Vince Williams on Archer — an obvious mismatch. Rookie quarterback Brendon Kay didn't identify the advantageous matchup and threw the ball to the other side of the formation to tight end Eric Waters, but it was a quick glimpse of how the Steelers plan to use Archer's versatility and speed to their advantage. Archer was busy on the first day as he broke off a couple of long runs including one where he reversed field and was also taking first-team reps on the punt return team.

• Darrius Heyward-Bey is known for dropping passes. However, that didn't stop Ben Roethlisberger from throwing a deep go pattern to the speedy free agent wide receiver during a team period. Heyward-Bey hauled in the pass for a touchdown. He also made a nice diving catch near the sidelines later during practice.

• Cameron Heyward was lined up at right defensive end, taking over the position held by Brett Keisel for nearly a decade. Heyward played left defensive end last year.

• The Steelers want to take advantage of Will Johnson's soft hands for a big man by lining him up at tight end. Johnson took a couple of snaps at his regular position of fullback, but he mostly lined up with the tight ends. The first play of the first team period had the Steelers in a two-tight end set with Johnson catching a pass from Roethlisberger for a positive gain.

• Receiver Justin Brown had a solid spring where he turned enough heads that he ran with the first team. Brown showed on the first day of camp that he wasn't a spring mirage. Brown, a second-year receiver out of Oklahoma, continued to impress with acrobatic and hard-to-make catches. At one point, Roethlisberger praised Brown after adjusting a route to make a catch.

• With Mike Mitchell nursing a hamstring and Ramon Foster mourning the death of his mother, the Steelers replaced the two in the starting lineup with Will Allen at safety and Cody Wallace at left guard.

• The second-team defense had Arthur Moats, Sean Spence, Vince Williams and Chris Carter at linebacker with William Gay at right corner and Antwon Blake at left corner.

• Rookie Jordan Zumwalt, relegated to outside linebacker during the spring, was playing inside linebacker with the third team.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6503301-9...rcher-steelers

My Mood
    Addicted
    Going to be interesting if DHB pans out. He's only signed for 1 year, so he has incentive to stand out.

Thread Information