Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Notes

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Training Camp Notes

NOTE -- The Steelers released linebacker Kion Wilson, who started two games at inside linebacker last season after an injury to Larry Foote. They signed rookie cornerback Lew Toler of Rutgers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz38U8zippv
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Hmmm, they must be sure they have their guy, let's hope so!

As it turns out, the Steelers did talk contract this offseason with Ben Roethlisberger. Allow Steelers President Art Rooney II to explain.

"I met with Ben shortly before we did the Maurkice Pouncey signing (in the middle of June) just to make sure Ben understood where we were with our intentions as far as a contract extension for him," said Rooney. "I just didn't want him to feel like we were moving ahead with other players without any communication.

"And so I talked to Ben, and then we talked with his agent Ryan Tollner about where we are and the fact we intend on addressing Ben's contract situation after the season, so that we could address a number of players who were going into their last year in 2014. I think Ben understands that's our intention and the way we'd like to proceed. I think we had a good conversation."

The dialogue was initiated by the Steelers so that Roethlisberger and agent Ryan Tollner understood the team's plan with respect to this offseason's strategy for signing players, and also understood that the commitment to its franchise quarterback has not wavered.

The Steelers' philosophy is to extend contracts that have one year to go before expiration, with the exception of quarterbacks, whose deals can be extended two years before expiring. Roethlisberger's current contract runs through the 2015 season, which made him a candidate for an extension, but circumstances - including the team's current cap situation, plus the number of players entering the final years of their deals, plus the additional increase in the salary cap anticipated next March - led the team to this strategy.

"Yes, all of those things are factors in the decision," said Rooney. "The other key thing is that Ben wants to be part of a winning team, to be in a position to compete for championships, and he understands that in order to do that we need to try to keep as many of the other players around as we can. So, addressing the players who are going into the final years of their contracts in 2014 makes sense. That's what he and I talked about.

"We also talked to Ryan, just so that there was communication with him as well, so that they understood the direction in which we wanted to proceed. We wanted to make sure they were understanding that we do want to make a commitment, that we do want to address Ben's contract next year. It's not a situation where we're saying we want to put it on hold. We did assure him that next year is the time frame in which we want to address it."

The salary cap jumped by $10 million last March to a total of $130 million per team, and it is expected the cap will increase again in 2015.

"We believe the cap will go up again next year," said Rooney, "and so from a cap planning standpoint, next year will be a better situation for us to address a franchise quarterback type of contract."

http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?it...53221015151112

After the season... All the talking heads are already starting their crap!

@EdBouchette: Steelers place S Mike Mitchell, RAlvester Alexander on PUP with groin injuries. About 1 week, Mike Tomlin predicted

@EdBouchette: Steelers G Ramon Foster given weekend off because his mother died suddenly.

Training Camp Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    @EdBouchette: Steelers G Ramon Foster given weekend off because his mother died suddenly.
    Pretty awful news.

2nd String
    You can bet that injury isn't going to go away in a week. Pulled hamstrings, groins, they seem to be the gift that just keeps on giving. I'm hoping for a full recovery but I'm not really believing it. Colts lost a guy to an ACL Ballard I think? No one touched him. He caught a pass and went down. I'm wondering if these injuries have to do with the muscle mass these guys are developing. Let's hope there's not a rash of injuries on the Steelers.

Training Camp Notes

This team deserves a year with out major injuries. Been cursed for the past few years!!

@AdamSchefter: Steelers expecting big things from 1st-round pick, LB Ryan Shazier. But 2nd-rd pick, DE Stephon Tuitt, really pleased PITT this spring.

Thread Information