Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so many doubters for this team?

Bookmark and Share

Why so many doubters for this team?

Not particularly the people on these forums, but national magazines and so called "experts".

Did people miss what Cam Heyward turned into? Do they still remember the most underrated ILB in the game in Timmons? We still have Troy(although older) and our offense is destined for greatness(I know, a little overboard).

They seem to miss that Bell, even though YPC were down, broke the franchise record at RB for total yards?

Are they forgetting that Blount is a powerhouse runner? Or that we picked up a guy who can run a 4.23?

Did they miss Pouncey coming back and the emergence of DD and Beachum from last season? DD/POUNCEY could possibly be starting next to each other in Hawaii if they stay healthy.

Did they forget how Mike Mitchell can make an impact if he has a front 7 in front of him? Or the depth the Steelers have at the front 7?

They forget that they finished 6-2 down the stretch, until ANDY REID decided to sit his starters when given a chance to knock out their division rivals? They were almost in the playoffs, and on a roll.

Experts always called us old, now that we are young we don't have enough experience. They tend to forget we have guys going into the 2-4 years of their careers, usually when everything starts to click before they hit the veteran status?

I'm just not understanding this. If healthy, I see them going 11-5, this is if the potential comes out of what is expected. But no way in HELL, do I see them having a 7-9 year and 3rd in the division.

It's this way every year, means nothing...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Pittsburgh is a "working man's team", blue-collar if you will. We aren't the golden boys. Come to think of it I like it that way. This team always plays better with a chip on its shoulder. I hope the "experts" pick us to finish last.

Who cares anyway what non-Steeler fans think. F 'em all.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Two 8-8 seasons will do that.

Even though there are A LOT of reasons to be optimistic, I would say that there are close to as many reasons to be pessimistic. At least enough to justify the pessimism many in the media have.

An O-Line that has not been good for years.
    Untested people at WR (other than AB and Moore).
    Other than Heyward, a NT that did not make people think of Casey Hampton last season and the other D-lineman someone who lost his job in SD or a rookie.
    At OLB (the most important position on the D), a 4th year guy who played well for exactly a half a season and a second year guy with 1 sack.
    At ILB, Timmons and a rookie.
    No upgrades at CB, another weakness from last season.

Again, I have a lot of optimism but can also see that there are some huge question marks as well.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ornery
    No problem. When we're 6-2, all the media will be on our band wagon.
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Two 8-8 seasons will do that.

Even though there are A LOT of reasons to be optimistic, I would say that there are close to as many reasons to be pessimistic. At least enough to justify the pessimism many in the media have.

An O-Line that has not been good for years.
    Untested people at WR (other than AB and Moore).
    Other than Heyward, a NT that did not make people think of Casey Hampton last season and the other D-lineman someone who lost his job in SD or a rookie.
    At OLB (the most important position on the D), a 4th year guy who played well for exactly a half a season and a second year guy with 1 sack.
    At ILB, Timmons and a rookie.
    No upgrades at CB, another weakness from last season.

Again, I have a lot of optimism but can also see that there are some huge question marks as well.

That's also how I feel Talsq. But, I believe this team can put all the potential on paper to action and executing on the field. I know it's very optimistic on my part. But, I think this team will be something special as Ben grinds out another 5 seasons with this team in his prime.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    That's also how I feel Talsq. But, I believe this team can put all the potential on paper to action and executing on the field. I know it's very optimistic on my part. But, I think this team will be something special as Ben grinds out another 5 seasons with this team in his prime.
    Couldn't have said it better guys. I think we have a tendency to put on the rose coloured glasses and not look at the big picture,ie what other teams are up to. I myself have doubts about both lines particularly at nose tackle and whether or not Munchack has some sort of "magic dust" to sprinkle about to make a line which has been a weakness for years into something suddenly great with the same players.

My Mood
    Ornery
    The fact that Munchak is going to make the O-line better; that alone is able to get us an additional game. Just that alone. So why shouldn't I feel optimistic?
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Patriotic
    If the defense even plays just a skosh better then last season this team will make the playoffs guaranteed!!! "F" the haters and the negative nellies on this forum. Las Vegas oddsmakers even has the Steelers favored to win at least 10 games.

Those 10 games are as follows: Cleveland (-5), Tampa Bay (-3), at Jacksonville (-6.5), Houston (-3.5), Indianapolis (-2), Baltimore (-2.5), at NY Jets (-2), at Tennessee (-2), New Orleans (-2.5) and Kansas City (-1.5).

Some people don't put much stock into what Las Vegas has to say in terms of any type of athletic competition. However, if you watch closely, they are rarely wrong. In this case, the oddsmakers have spoken in terms of what kind of season to expect for the 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Say what you want in regards to the odds, but Vegas sees the Steelers as an improving team for these odds to be put out this way. The Steelers and Detroit Lions were the only two teams that didn't finish 2013 with a winning record and are favored to win 10 or more games in 2014.
    Last edited by SuperSteelers; 07-31-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    Haters gonna hate, winners gonna win. Let the haters motivate.

We need to stop losing to loser teams...

Then we will turn the corner.

Thread Information