Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time to decide who stays and who goes

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I would be surprised if Arizona doesn't tender Starks an offer! And he was a Russ Grimm student and fan. We'll know in a couple weeks.....March 2nd. If the Cardinals offered him more money I don't think he would hesitate to leave for Arizona! He originaly came out of Florida! He has been maligned in Pittsburgh and his starting job might even be in jeopardy........why wouldn't he jump on an offersheet for more money, a chance to reunite with Grimm, a young team on the rise with tons of talent, in a warmer climate? Would the Steeler management fight to keep him? I am not too sure they would.

With the salary cap jumping to 109 mil. The Cards and the 9ers have around 30 mil each to play with. It wouldn't surprise me none for Starks to leave, I say let him leave and we can get a comp for next year. There will be a OL taken on the first day for us, the rest of our OL bunch (we're still young enough to not have real big worries) will come together this season.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Anyone predict last years 4th round pick out of Hofstra (Willie Colon) to be this good? If any of you had him on your own list of hopefuls I would be surprised! He was the 131st pick!
    I don't know about you but Im not ready to crown him the next great thing just yet. He made some good plays and showed alot of potential but the verdict is still out. He needs to prove alot in this camp to become the starter. I hope he does well for us, and he is the next great thing, but let's not jump he gun just yet on him

As far as SMith & Faneca, they are rocks, keep em, sign em long term.

Okobi: The verdict is still out on him too. He hasn't played because he's been behind Jeff Hartings for so long. Maybe he could have taken over the Center position from Jeff a year or 2 ago but we can't say for sure the reasons he hasnt because Hartings was a "cowher guy"

Simmons: no more RG for kendall, he's been subpar for the last 2 years. If he's more of a natural center then lets find out in camp and see if He, Okobi, and Phillip can battle it out and may the best man win.

The problem with all these backups is that all our starters were " cowher" guys for the most part so there's no telling how much that influenced their lack of playing time. Obviously they made the roster every year for a reason, right?

Chris K showed a lot of potential in his limited starts. Through him in at RG and let him play with Colon or Starks.

If Max gets a ton of money offered his way, I'd bet he'll jump ship too.

Let's get a couple good OL in the draft, atleast 1 on day 1 and maybe 2 depending on the draft shakes out, and then throw them all in the mix and see how it pans out. It'll make for some great battles to watch. You're right, evaluating talent is a crap shoot, there's virtually no sure thing in the draft at all but all you can do is hope the guys you pick pan out and contribute. Anything will be an improvement for us, especially on day 2, if atleast a couple of the draftees can make the team since virtually none of the Cowher era day 2 picks have made any significant impact for years.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-15-2007 at 02:09 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok I'm one of the biggest Max Starks critics around but I don't the Steelers can let him go unless they sign a free agent RT or draft Joe Thomas. I like Willie Colon but come'on he only has started two games. To me that wouldn't be wise going into a season with only one experienced OT and that would be LT Marvell Smith. Both Essex and Colon hardly have any playing experience.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im not exactly sure we have the firepower to jump and get a Joe Thomas so then the FA thought kicks in if this scenario pans out. I would think they want to keep Max and from what I know he likes it in Pittsburgh, but if he's offered a ton of cash we may not be able to match it and he'll jet.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Im not exactly sure we have the firepower to jump and get a Joe Thomas so then the FA thought kicks in if this scenario pans out. I would think they want to keep Max and from what I know he likes it in Pittsburgh, but if he's offered a ton of cash we may not be able to match it and he'll jet.
    I don't think we have the firepower to get Joe Thomas either. Just saying I would be nervous with just having one experienced OT heading into next season. I like Willie Colon alot but if the Steelers let Starks go. Then they better have a plan to replace Starks.

Another OT I like alot other then Joe Thomas in this draft is Joe Staley. But if the Steelers let Starks go I rather have a free agent with experience brought in. Plus I think Max Starks still can be a very good OT in the NFL. I'm not ready to send him to the glue factory yet.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    We don't have a lot of cap room to play in the FA market, unless we get someone cheap. The only way these young guys will get better is by playing. Colon did good in his couple of starts (from what I hear, couldn't watch any games last season). We might be looking at another year of our OL not playing well together.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Playing time!

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    We don't have a lot of cap room to play in the FA market, unless we get someone cheap. The only way these young guys will get better is by playing. Colon did good in his couple of starts (from what I hear, couldn't watch any games last season). We might be looking at another year of our OL not playing well together.
    You are right! The only way O-lineman can get better and play well together as a unit is with playing time. All of the great O-lineman that I know got thrown into the fire as rooks and learned on the job! How many seasons did it take Mike Webster to craft his trade. I believe he was part of that famous 74 draft that oh by the way they won the SB that year! Why not get excited over the play of Willie Colon who came in the last 2 games and played better than Starks had been. rookie.........3 year vet
    The upside on Colon is great and I like the nasty disposition that he plays with! They need to draft an O-lineman or 2 and come spring training......find the best five and stick with them so they can gell as a unit! Please don't experiment all year and never give 1 unit a chance to get a rythm going. Thats all I ask! Anthony Munoz, Alan Faneca, Willie Roaf, Jonathon Ogden, Larry Allen, Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Will Shields.
    How many years do you think they had to play before they started kicking ***? If your good, your good and only going to get better with more playing time! IMO
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

i really think our oline not "playing well together" was directly because hartings got manhandled week in and week out last year. now that problem is gone so look for better play out of the whole line next year.

this draft would be easier if Jake Long and Sam Baker came out lol

Thread Information