Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey signs 5 yrs / 44 million / Highest Paid Center

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    For a guy coming off a major injury? I agree with NPB. He could have played out his rookie contract and they could have franchised him a year. Even if he played great, they still could have signed him for virtually the same contract in 2016. I just do not see the logic.
    You've got a point but then again, you take the chance of him being discontent and then even if we franchise tag him, there could still be an air of discontent behind the tag. I think the timing of this, coupled with the tough as nails approach of Munchak can help bond the O-line and have it perform in a way we have not seen around here in a while. You can't put a price on that. Just food for thought.
    "I want to hit cha and hurt cha." Jack Lambert

Steelers extend Maurkice Pouncey by five years
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

At a time when Dolphins center Mike Pouncey has made no secret of his desire for a long-term contract, his twin brother has gotten one in Pittsburgh.

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has agreed to terms on a five-year extension worth, according to a source with knowledge of the contract, a little over $44 million. Coupled with the remaining year of his rookie contract, Maurkice has a six-year, $48 million contract.

The deal pays Maurkice a signing bonus of $13 million. That’s more than the signing bonus paid last week to 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. And that should help the agents for young franchise quarterbacks make the case that Kaepernick deal isn’t the beginning of a trend but an aberration.

Thanks to non-guaranteed roster bonuses payable on the third day of the 2015 and 2016 league years, Pouncey will pocket $17.75 million by March of next year. He’ll have $23 million earned by March of 2016, and $26.5 million through the first three years.

Amazingly, the new money exceeds the package paid earlier this year by the Browns to center Alex Mack. Mack had signed a five-year, $42 million offer sheet in Jacksonville, which the Browns matched. Maurkice Pouncey’s $44 million over five comes roughly nine months after tearing an ACL — and with a full year left on his rookie deal.

In new money, he’s the highest paid center at $8.8 million per year. The total deal, with the final year of the existing contract, averages just over $8 million.
    better now than too late imo. One less they have to worry about next year with Heyward being on deck

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    This is all I have found so far:

Steelers signed C Maurkice Pouncey to a five-year, $44 million contract extension.
    The massive extension is tacked onto the final year of Pouncey's rookie contract, meaning he now has a six-year, $48 million deal. It also includes a $13 million signing bonus -- more than the signing bonus Colin Kaepernick got last week. The Steelers obviously have no concerns about Pouncey's rehab from last year's torn ACL and MCL as he's now the highest paid center in the NFL, eclipsing Alex Mack. Pouncey is just 24 and was a Pro Bowler in his first three NFL seasons, but has never been higher than 12th in PFF's center grades. http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/289091/maurkice-pouncey-lands-5-year-$44m-extension
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I cannot believe we paid him more than Mack...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

I still think its a bit overmuch in terms of money per year if that holds up, but I'm happy with signed him either way!
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Ornery
    There was a lot of talk about us not locking up our core, young players. Well, we locked one up and we have paid the price. The Cap is going up again next year so I don't see this being that big a deal.

My Mood
    Ornery

my condolences.

In terms of per year, Mack is still the highest paid center in the league.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    You've got a point but then again, you take the chance of him being discontent and then even if we franchise tag him, there could still be an air of discontent behind the tag. I think the timing of this, coupled with the tough as nails approach of Munchak can help bond the O-line and have it perform in a way we have not seen around here in a while. You can't put a price on that. Just food for thought.
    Yeah, but he would have been playing for a contract from someone, whether us or not. And the franchise tag gets you a nice hunk of change. Don't get me wrong, I believe the criticism of Pouncey over the last couple of seasons has been way over the top. I wanted him signed but that is a lot of money for a guy who has only played "football in shorts" since blowing up his knee last September.

Having both Heyward and Big Ben wanting new contracts likely next year, I can see how they did not want to carry Pouncey in there as well.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information