Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Velasco?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    My thought, exactly.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    I don't think Pouncey is going to sign. I really believe he wants to be in Miami with his brother. But that's based on nothing more than what I think. But when you see them together it just seems a natural thing to me. Not sure it's a good idea. Together they may be bad for each other but they're grown men. Pouncey is a darn good center whether he's one of the top two or not doesn't really matter. He's a top 5 center and those are hard to find. I just don't believe he's the kind of guy that will allow loyalty to rule what he does down the road. He's going to want to be a free agent. I guess we could franchise him. That would tie up a ton of money at center though. Not sure he's worth that much

Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    I don't think Pouncey is going to sign. I really believe he wants to be in Miami with his brother. But that's based on nothing more than what I think. But when you see them together it just seems a natural thing to me. Not sure it's a good idea. Together they may be bad for each other but they're grown men. Pouncey is a darn good center whether he's one of the top two or not doesn't really matter. He's a top 5 center and those are hard to find. I just don't believe he's the kind of guy that will allow loyalty to rule what he does down the road. He's going to want to be a free agent. I guess we could franchise him. That would tie up a ton of money at center though. Not sure he's worth that much
    We tied up a ton of money in a guy with half a season worth of production (Worilds)... But if they don't get a deal done this offseason, and he plays how I expect him to this year, the franchise tag will certainly be an option considering another substantial cap increase that will be applied next offseason.

There has been nothing said from anyone other than fans about Maurkice wanting to play in Miami. But there was a situation this offseason with two twins who had actually been vocal about wanting to play together (Michael and Martellus Bennett). Martellus did his damnedest to get Michael over to Chicago but Michael ultimately decided to stay in Seattle. Who knows about the Pouncey twins, everyone is different, but it's an example.

2nd String
    Yep. Like I said it's based on nothing more than my thoughts. I think in the Bennett situation that might have a been a good thing for them. The Pouncey brothers, together, just have a different feel to me. Remember the hat picture? I'm probably wrong but it just seems together those guys would be in big trouble. Pouncey here has never been anything but a good Steeler so I'm probably wrong. Young people do stupid things.

Yep. Like I said it's based on nothing more than my thoughts. I think in the Bennett situation that might have a been a good thing for them. The Pouncey brothers, together, just have a different feel to me. Remember the hat picture? I'm probably wrong but it just seems together those guys would be in big trouble. Pouncey here has never been anything but a good Steeler so I'm probably wrong. Young people do stupid things.
    I'm not saying there's no way it happens, who knows. But having followed him since his freshman year at Florida I can say he's a good dude and a good teammate. Pride may be a factor keeping him from going to Miami too. He might not want to play second fiddle to his brother and play guard.

Your not alone in that train of thought my friend. Something in my waters tell me that Pouncy wants to be in Miami with his brother too. Like you nothing concrete to back that up, just feeling i get.

My other worry is now Mack got a stupid amount of money for a centre, you know what Pouncy will be aiming for. Like some here i fail to see why he's rated so high as he is.

Lets face facts, if pouncy was so good, our run game would be better. I don't see pouncy dealing with opponents NT's very well, There is no push from the middle. I DID see that though when Valesco played, hence i was really impressed with him ( no he's not a pro bowl centre just i saw so great play from him )

I know there is more to the centre play than just dealing with a NT 1v1, but nothing i see from pouncy makes me think he's an elite centre.. good one yes, not elite.

Oh and this is from someone who watched some of the best centers... Webster, Dawson... play.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Again, these assessments are based on what we've seen when the O-line coaching was awful. Let's face the facts on this:

It's not a coincidence that the O-line play has been bad for a long time. No matter who we put in there. That tells me that the coaching has stunk. So if the coaching stunk (and it did) then all these assessments that I'm reading will mostly be wrong. With proper coaching (and the team winning) let's see if Pouncey wants to stay after this season. No doubt that Pouncey will be offered a boat load of cash from some losing franchise (like the Dolphins) but I suspect he'll get a ball park offer from us and hopefully he'll factor in the losing aspect...AKA Santonio Holmes going to the Jets...Wallace going to the Dolphins.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think Pouncey will skip to Miami after this season, no matter what the outcome. The writing is on the wall, much like with Wallace and Kennan Lewis. Signing Velasco on the cheap may not be bad insurance, although I liked Wallace at center last year.

You are correct, however, Munchak will take this entire unit to higher level.

Draft Pick
    It might not have been all bad coaching. The front office neglected the line for several yrs. and tried to get by with guys drafted toward the end of the draft and UDFA's like Legursky and Essex and countless no talent scrubs.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like Wallace as b-u center.

Thread Information