Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velasco?

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Yep, overrated. He is not one of the top 2-3 centers in the game like was said at the time. A top 5-8 center is still pretty damn good though.

And if healthy, he will be an absolute beast under Munchak. His skill set is a perfect fit for Munchak's zone blocking scheme.
    Exactly

My Mood
    Grumpy
    The Steelers are in a No Win situation with Pouncy.......If he has a great season(I doubt he will) he will demand CRAZY $$$$$$ more than likely move on..... If he has a lousy or another injured season(More Likely) he would have wastes another Steeler season and move on anyway.....NO WIN....best thing for Steelers is to trade him now.....as for Velasco he wouldn't be ready until Nov best case if all goes well with his rehab......The FO signed Wallace for a reason they are hedging the Pouncy bets now.....Wallace did a good job when he replaced Velasco last season and may well be the future Center for the Steelers......

If we move on from Pouncey after this season. I'm not to worried. I can see him playing for the Dolphins in 2015. Miami's Oline is a joke.

He is in a contract year, so he will have a monster season. If healthy. I think Velasco and Wallace played very well in Pounceys absence.

Draft Pick
    I didn't think Velasco was anything better than average. The overall line wasn't too great in the first dozen gamed last year which may have he made him look worse than he was though. I thought Wallace handled himself well plus they have the new kid Johnson who can play every position on the line. I believe they are covering their bases in case Pouncey wants too much and is allowed to walk away.

Best case would be to sign Pouncey this offseason. He'd likely get a decent contract but nothing than would break the bank coming off an ACL injury. The man is only 24 years old for crying out loud. People around here are so quick to let him go but I guarantee you the team values him.

Quote Originally Posted by KemoTherapy View Post
    I didn't think Velasco was anything better than average.
    He wasn't. He did an admirable job considering he was thrown into the fire the same week we signe him, but he was nowhere near as good as people are trying to make him out to be. Saying he outperformed Pouncey, which some have said, is laughable.

My Mood
    texans-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Yep, overrated. He is not one of the top 2-3 centers in the game like was said at the time. A top 5-8 center is still pretty damn good though.

And if healthy, he will be an absolute beast under Munchak. His skill set is a perfect fit for Munchak's zone blocking scheme.
    The zone blocking scheme is overrated.
    Haters gonna hate, winners gonna win. Let the haters motivate.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSteelers View Post
    The zone blocking scheme is overrated.
    Care to elaborate?

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Moving Poincey to guard (barring injuries) is stupid. He's by far the best center on the roster and Foster is a good guard. You'll never say "wow" when watching Foster but he's a good, solid, reliable starter.
    and this accurate assesment is BEFORE Munchek has got a hold of them. Munchak will take this unit to a higher level. Lets stop fretting about the O-line. Its in good hands. And if there are guys who dont get it done, they'll be handled accordingly.

My Mood
    Ornery
    But the front office needs to be proactive and see if we can lock up Pouncey now.

Thread Information