Thread: The Steelers and the need for speed

Bookmark and Share

The Steelers and the need for speed

Mr. Sapp said a few years ago that the Steelers were old and slow. Well that is not the case any longer: The Steeler will have 5 players on the defense that ran sub 4.6 and if you take away their best LB that would be 4 players that ran sub 4.4

Mike Mitchell ran 4.39 at the 2009 combine

Ike Taylor still run 4.4 and ran as low as 4.38 at his combine

Sharmoko Thomas ran 4.38 at the 2013 combine

Ryan Shazier ran 4.38 at his Pro-Day

Lawrence Timmons is the slowest of the bunch, when he ran 4.6 at the 2007 combine

But if you are thinking that the Steelers only have speed on defense, How will you like to defend the Steelers with this four receivers set:

Antonio Brown ran 4.5 at the 2010 combine

Markus Wheaton ran 4.4 at the 2013 combine

Martavis Bryant ran 4.42 at the 2014 combine

Darrius Hayward-Bay ran 4.3 at the 2009 combine

With Dri Archer coming out of the backfield who ran 4.26 at the 2014 combine.

Ike Taylor ran a reported 4.18 at his pro day. He'd probably smack you for saying it was 4.38 lol. There was a report like 2-3 years ago that he was still running in the 4.2s while training in the offseason.

Draft Pick
    I don't remember Ike being that fast but he has been around a looong time and I am middle aged and the memory does go. My most sincere wish is that they are just plain better more so than just being faster. There have been plenty of successful players without great speed who know the game inside out and have good reaction times and know where to go. conversely the streets are full of speedy guys who couldn't play ball to save their lives. I hope they based their scouting more on playing ability than on 40 times.

When I looked (on-line) I couldn't find that report, but if he can still run 4:2, great, but that by be a fish story

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    Lawrence Timmons is the slowest of the bunch, when he ran 4.6 at the 2007 combine
    Jarvis Jones runs 4.9ish.

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    When I looked (on-line) I couldn't find that report, but if he can still run 4:2, great, but that by be a fish story
    It was a trib/PPG article about him training with Tom Shaw in the offseason. It was like the 2011 offseason or something. I cant find it either bit I remember it pretty vividly.

I'm all the proof you need lolololol

Ok so it was the '09 offseason. My timetable was a a couple years off lol

Speed keeps Steelers' Taylor in the game
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, July 25, 2009
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_635267.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Right before the start of the Steelers' final two days of voluntary practices in June, cornerback Ike Taylor was electronically timed in the 40-yard dash by speed coach Tom Shaw at Disney's Wide World of Sports.
    Taylor was clocked in 4.26 seconds.

"We had a speed sign out here — it's a police radar gun they put on city streets,'' Shaw said. "We were running the 40-yard dash, and Ike ran 26 mph. The speed limit was 25, so Ike could have gotten a ticket for running.''
    But seriously, folks.

"We had other guys running,'' Shaw said. "But 26 was a freak time. And he was just cruising.''
    Taylor, 29, is a freakish athlete built more along the lines of a safety (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) than a corner. He also has a 42-inch vertical leap.

He ran 4.18 in the 40 (hand-held) at Louisiana-Lafayette's Pro Day in 2003 (he wasn't invited to the combine), prompting the Steelers to draft him in the fourth round that year despite the fact he played cornerback for only one season in college.
    Taylor's speed and one-on-one cover skills influenced former Steelers coach Bill Cowher to start him ahead of veteran Chad Scott in Taylor's third pro season.

Taylor's world-class speed compensates for any lack of technique resulting from making the switch from running back to corner as a college senior.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive who now works for NFL.com and Sirius radio, rates Taylor among the top five cornerbacks in the league along with Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha, Denver's Champ Bailey, Philadelphia's Asante Samuel and Dallas' Terence Newman.

"All I know is he's pretty good,'' Brandt said of Taylor.
    In 2008, Taylor enjoyed one of his finest seasons. He recorded a team-high 15 passes defensed while yielding only two touchdown receptions for the NFL's top-ranked defense.

Taylor's play has prompted comparisons to former NFL cornerback Deion Sanders.
    "The thing with Deion was that when the ball was in the air, he just out-sprinted the receiver to the ball,'' said track coach Brooks Johnson, who is based at Disney's Wide World of Sports and has coached a runner at every Olympics since 1968. "He didn't necessarily have the best technique, and he didn't have the best initial coverage. But once the ball was in the air, he got to it (first).''

Johnson said Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes, who trains with Taylor in Florida, has "world-class" sprint mechanics.
    "If you took the best guys in the Olympics and showed their technique and showed (Holmes') technique, you couldn't tell if he was a football player or a track star,'' Johnson said.

But as fast as Holmes is, Taylor is faster — even with lesser technique.
    "Form and technique, you can tell it's not the most important thing because Ike doesn't run like an Olympic sprinter," Shaw said. "The key to Ike's success is his speed. Ike runs like a football player who is fast. Now he's really learning the game of football. He's learning more and more how to play corner.''

Shaw coached Sanders at Florida State in track and later as a star cornerback in the NFL. He gives Taylor the nod over Sanders in the speed department.

"Ike is the fastest kid I've ever trained,'' Shaw said.

Shaw said that would include Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, who ran the fastest time ever at the combine (4.24), and Sanders, who ran a 4.27 for No. 2 on the combine list.

Taylor, who is entering his seventh NFL season, said he has the potential to run faster as he gets older.
    Johnson, the track coach, is familiar with Taylor's running style and offered a comparison to Olympic sprinter Carl Lewis, who Johnson said ran faster at 31 than he did at 21.

Taylor said he can do the same thing — thanks to a technique adjustment.
    "Tall guys have long strides," Taylor said. "I was kind of like a tall guy with a short stride. Now I'm running like a tall guy. I'm gaining more ground in my steps. I'm gaining weight, running faster and getting stronger. I can wake up, no stretch, no nothing, and run a 4.3. All day.''

ike might have ran that fast in shorts back in the day but i'll never forget demarius Thomas running away from his *** in overtime!
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    ike might have ran that fast in shorts back in the day but i'll never forget demarius Thomas running away from his *** in overtime!
    You mean a 23 year old with 4.3 speed and a mean stiff arm separated from a 31 year old on a slant? Color me shocked! If Ryan Mundy is where he's supposed to be on that play, he's tackled for a 10-15 yard gain. Blaming Ike for the loss due his poor performance against Thomas is horribly ignorant. Dick LeBeau had a good game plan going into the game. Rush the hell out of Tebow and make him make quick decisions and accurate throws. The problem? The pass rush never ****ing got there. They were invisible. Ike did his job for as long as he should've had to. You can't put any corner in the league on an island that long against any receiver, let alone a beast like Thomas, and not expect him to get burned. It's horribly ignorant to blame Ike. Did you not notice the halftime adjustments made? The Broncos went off for 20 points in the 2nd quarter... They scored a grand total of 3 points in the whole second half. Why? LeBeau and the coaching staff made the appropriate adjustments. They stopped trying to overload the blitz since they weren't getting there and the safeties actually played, ya know, safety. If Ryan Mundy sticks to his assignment and doesn't bite in OT, the game doesn't end that way.

Thread Information