Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: santonio and james wanna come back home....

Bookmark and Share
    Santonio Holmes; NO WAY would I bring him back.......James Harrison: only if after OTA they figure NONE of the younger player could be a good backup player. And he would be only a pass-rusher: But all off-season the coaches have been saying they are being force to play sub-package football. which means LB need to cover, and that is NOT James Harrison best attitrutes.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    The guy had a contract with the Steelers who suddenly wanted to cut it in half or release him. Would you be thrilled if your boss did the same to you? As Big T pointed out upthread, we consistently expect "loyalty" from players to the team but have no expectations of loyalty from the team to the players. Even worse, we (the fans) are the first people yelling "cut that ba$tard" the minute they stop performing up to the level we expect. It does not matter if it is age, injury, etc. Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but your opinion illustrates this perfectly. You would not take a guy, even if he can help us, that made an absolutely miraculous and necessary play to win us a SB (not to mention some years of great production) because of a couple of comments during Bengals week?

And I must ask, exactly what did the organization "do" for him? Cut him 4 times? It was a mutually agreed upon business arrangement that ultimately resulted in the Rooneys getting SB trophies. If the team did not like the arrangement, they could have cut him (again) at any time (say 2005) and let him go play for the Ravens or another team. James gave 100 percent every play and always arrived to camp in incredible shape. The money he made was no favor.

Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating for loyalty towards players. If a player cannot play anymore, is a constant headache, or is just not a fit for us anymore, he "should get on with his life's work" as Noll used to say. That is why I do not want Holmes back even though he was equally magnificent in the same SB. My point is that I do not see how we can expect a degree of loyalty from an extremely proud and competitive player like James that we do not expect from our ownership or ourselves.
    He needed to take a pay cut if I remember correctly and he refused. If he took the paycut, he'd have still been here. And yes, he was cut 4 times, but no one else gave him a chance so he should have still been grateful for the opportunity because no one else gave him that. I hope one of the young guys pans out to be adequete back up because I don't want him back.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    He needed to take a pay cut if I remember correctly and he refused. If he took the paycut, he'd have still been here. And yes, he was cut 4 times, but no one else gave him a chance so he should have still been grateful for the opportunity because no one else gave him that. I hope one of the young guys pans out to be adequete back up because I don't want him back.
    I'm not throwing stones here but I don't think he owed us anything for finally allowing him to play when it is clear his talents were there.
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    He didn't "need to", he was asked. He was under a contract, that both teams signed, for two more seasons. If anything, his restructuring would have done the Steelers the favor. Why no animosity for the Rooneys not being "loyal" to a player?

And the Steelers signing him as a young pup was no favor either. They signed him because they saw something in him that could help the team. It was not charity that needed to be paid back in any way, shape, or form. Again, it was a business decision on both sides.

Again, athletes are the only profession that people expect to take a pay cut of 1/2 or less and be grateful for it rather than walk out the door. No one else would do it but we expect James Harrison to.

As far as the younger players, Harrison is even now twice the player that Carter, Moates, et al. backing up JJ/Worilds are.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Again, Dalton won the division.. We need to win the division to make fun of them. The AFCN is going to get rougher these next two years.
    When I watch the replays the NFL shows of the greatest plays in the history of the Super Bowl I am reminded of the one play I say has to be the greatest play in the history of football and that was the interception and 99 yard return in the Arizona Super Bowl. How any other play could even be considered is beyond me. It completely changed the whole complexion of that game and we most probably would never have won. But sorry James we just don't have room. We need to develop some young guns. Holmes would never be satisfied with what we could pay him.

Draft Pick
    I don't want anything to do with either and I highly doubt the Steelers want them either.

My Mood
    Ornery
    I think he needed to take a paycut to stay on the team. Obviously, by what he was offered after he left, he made a mistake. Yes, he was under a contract that both agreed to at the time. But that contract is based on him still having the same skill level. And he obviously didn't anymore. So a paycut was required.

But be that as it may, I don't want to see him back. Not even as a backup. He will always be a storied player in Steeler lore and one of our all timers. Especially for what he did in the Super Bowl. But that's the past now. I wish him and Holmes the best but I don't want to see them in Black & Gold anymore.

Thread Information