Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: santonio and james wanna come back home....

Bookmark and Share
    The only way I bring Harrison back is it's cheap and one of the starting OLBs is hurt for significant time. I don't want Holmes near the Steelers ever again.

Steelers were HOT ending the season last year. No way do I even think about these two, stay on course while getting younger!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    By all accounts, James was a great teammate and liked in the locker room. Don't compare him to JJ or Worilds. Compare him to the backups. Could we get more out of James than Chris Carter, for example? No doubt, in my book. In fact, he would credibly push JJ to play better if he wants to start this year. Competition is a good thing.

Holmes is a headache and no longer the player from the SB. Pass.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Harrison is a big Yes. For backup

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Again, Dalton won the division.. We need to win the division to make fun of them. The AFCN is going to get rougher these next two years.
    I don't base my planning on the blind squirrel theory

The only thing that Dalton winning the division means is that the Steelers and Ravens took a step back. There was never any fear of the Bengals actually winning a playoff game.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Except Santonio didn't leave, he was traded AND ended up getting a big contract while on NY.

Harrison I'd bring back as a situational pass rusher and mentor. No thanks on Holmes.
    Agreed... Harrison is probably the best run stuffing OLB in Steeler history. I think he would be ideal for certain situational packages. Last year, the Steelers were gauged on the outside in the running game. Bring the guy back. Down the stretch, he could really be a force if given the time to rest most of the season.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    By all accounts, James was a great teammate and liked in the locker room. Don't compare him to JJ or Worilds. Compare him to the backups. Could we get more out of James than Chris Carter, for example? No doubt, in my book. In fact, he would credibly push JJ to play better if he wants to start this year. Competition is a good thing.

Competition is good. I do agree with that. But I remember little comments Harrison was making when it was Bengal weeks and to me that's disingenuous because of what this organization had done for him. I still say No.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I don't base my planning on the blind squirrel theory

The only thing that Dalton winning the division means is that the Steelers and Ravens took a step back. There was never any fear of the Bengals actually winning a playoff game.
    I too find it really hard to take the Bengals seriously. To me, there just sitting in a seat, keeping it warm until the real Daddy (us) come and take the seat back. Them winning means that us and the Ravens are in transition.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post

Perfectly stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    Competition is good. I do agree with that. But I remember little comments Harrison was making when it was Bengal weeks and to me that's disingenuous because of what this organization had done for him. I still say No.
    The guy had a contract with the Steelers who suddenly wanted to cut it in half or release him. Would you be thrilled if your boss did the same to you? As Big T pointed out upthread, we consistently expect "loyalty" from players to the team but have no expectations of loyalty from the team to the players. Even worse, we (the fans) are the first people yelling "cut that ba$tard" the minute they stop performing up to the level we expect. It does not matter if it is age, injury, etc. Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but your opinion illustrates this perfectly. You would not take a guy, even if he can help us, that made an absolutely miraculous and necessary play to win us a SB (not to mention some years of great production) because of a couple of comments during Bengals week?

And I must ask, exactly what did the organization "do" for him? Cut him 4 times? It was a mutually agreed upon business arrangement that ultimately resulted in the Rooneys getting SB trophies. If the team did not like the arrangement, they could have cut him (again) at any time (say 2005) and let him go play for the Ravens or another team. James gave 100 percent every play and always arrived to camp in incredible shape. The money he made was no favor.

Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating for loyalty towards players. If a player cannot play anymore, is a constant headache, or is just not a fit for us anymore, he "should get on with his life's work" as Noll used to say. That is why I do not want Holmes back even though he was equally magnificent in the same SB. My point is that I do not see how we can expect a degree of loyalty from an extremely proud and competitive player like James that we do not expect from our ownership or ourselves.
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 05-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information