Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Steeler Roster (Projected)

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent
    Here is my Projected Roster with Comments
    QB
    Ben Roethlisberger- Franchise Quarterback
    Bruce Gradkowski- Solid Veteran Backup QB
    Landry Jones- Hope he can live up to his fourth round billing and be the backup of the future.
    RB
    Le'Veon Bell- This is his breakout year
    LeGarette Blount- Will provide relief for Bell and maybe can return kicks
    Dri Archer- Hope he can be the next Dexter McCluster and be a top Kick Retuner and Punt Returner
    FB
    Will Johnson- Has played well when given the chance
    WR
    Antonio Brown- a true number one corner and pro bowler
    Marcus Wheaton- Need him to step up this year. Has the potential to this year. Did not impress last year.
    Lance Moore- A solid veteran receiver. Rather have Jerricho Cotchery but Lance Moore will do.
    Martavis Bryant- hoping he can contribute at right away in the red zone and on special teams. Character is a concern.
    Darius Heyward-Bey- Lots of talent. Never lived up to it but I think will stick because he is willing to play special teams.
    TE
    Heath Miller- great career as a Steeler. Hope he has enough in the tank to be a top pass catcher and a blocker for them.
    Matt Spaeth- a talented blocker coming off a major injury. Hope he can come back strong this year.
    Michael Palmer- They will keep him for his special teams ability. Moved ahead of Paulsen on the depth chart last year.
    Rob Blanchflower- Hope he can be the steal of the draft. Will probably be inactive to start.
    C
    Maurkice Pouncey- A three time pro bowler. I think his days in pittsburgh are numbered as he will be overpriced as a free agent.
    Cody Wallace- A fiesty backup. Need to teach him to swing at guard this preseason.
    G
    LG Ramon Foster- has been consistent for the steelers
    RG- David Decastro- has Pro Bowl upside
    Nic Embernate- showed some nasty last preseason. Will be last to make the roster, I think
    T
    LT Kelvin Beachum- has done everything they told him to do. Was a good pass blocker last year and is serviceable at LT
    RT Marcus Gilbert- Hopefully injuries are what set him back in the past. Seriviceable RT
    Mike Adams- has the upside to stay on the roster despite character concerns and stabbing incident. Will be last chance to show he was worth second round pick.
    Wesley Johnson- like his versatility. Kelvin Beachum lite.
    DE
    LE Stephon Tuitt- Like this pick with a lot of upside. Hopefully he can win the job opposite Heyward. Otherwise Cam Thomas will be the guy opposite Heyward.
    RE Cameron Heyward- was a beast last year. Hope they can sign him long term
    Brian Arnfelt- Had a good preseason last year. Will need to prove himself again to be a part of the rotation.
    Nikolas Williams- This guy is a project but I think they will carry him for his upside.
    NT
    Steve McClendon- good against the run. Has proven himself as a NT.
    Cam Thomas- a serviceable backup at NT. May need to play DE until young DEs opposite Heyward are ready.
    OLB
    Jason Worilds- Had a great year last year. Hope they can sign him long term.
    Jarvis Jones- Hope he can live up to the hype this year. Will need him to.
    Arthur Moats- Versatile LB who is better suited for OLB. Was a part time player in Buffalo.
    Chris Carter- knows the system and has played special teams for the steelers. Will make team because of lack of depth but I hope he will be pushed by Howard Jones.
    ILB
    Lawrence Timmons- thought last year was a down year for him. Will be interesting to see if he can play the BUCK role next year.
    Ryan Shazier- this guy is fast. Hopefully he can contribute right away and live up to his potential. Smart enough to start right away.
    Vince Williams- the future at BUCK linebacker. A vocal leader will probably be inactive though because of his lack of special teams but will be the first to start if there is an injury at ILB.
    Jordan Zumwalt- a nasty, competitive player. Will make it because he has the right makeup for special teams. May be able to play OLB too.
    Terrance Garvin- a long shot last year. Will make it for special teams this year again along with versatility as an OLB.
    CB
    Ike Taylor- a great steeler but is getting old. Selfless move taking a pay cut last year. Does keep himself in great shape.
    Cortez Allen- Really hoping he takes over as the Steelers #1 corner and lives up to his potential. Slowed by injuries last year.
    William Gay- a good nickel corner. More than that maybe asking a lot.
    Shaquille Richardson- a developmental corner. Will make it as a gunner. Needs to work on his tackling. Character concern.
    Antwan Blake- decent gunner on special teams but worry about him as a corner. Coaches say he can be a good corner. Brice McCain will have to really bounce back to make the team this year.
    FS
    Mike Mitchell- a serviceable Free Safety. Needs to work on his tackling. Young enough he can improve.
    Robert Golden- a good special teams player and the reason he should be on the team.
    SS
    Troy Polamalu- great career and future hall of famer. Good enough instincts to help them this year. Days are numbered.
    Will Allen- a good special teams player and will need him in the quarters defense because of lack of depth at corner after William Gay.
    Shamarko Thomas- Hopefully the future at SS and he is versatile enough to help all along the secondary and on special teams.
    ST
    Kicker- Shaun Suisham- another good year last year
    Punter- Brad Wing- not a lot of options at punter. Need him to step up.
    Long Snapper- Greg Warren- has been that guy for a while now.

Practice Squad
    RB- Alvester Alexander- was on the practice squad last year and will need him will only 3 RBs on the roster.
    WR- Justin Brown- a sixth round pick. Maybe he can help down the line. Not a lot of upside though.
    G- Chris Hubbard- was on the practice squad last year. They usually carry a G on the practice squad. I think he will be replace by embernate when Velasco is healthy and they sign him to the roster.
    T Kaycee Ike- They usually carry a T on the practice squad and there aren't a lot of other options.
    NT Daniel McCullers- has size and can be a project. May need him with an injury on the DL.
    OLB Howard Jones- Hopefully will push Chris Carter but may have to have a year on the practice squad coming from a small school.
    ILB Sean Spence- maybe a year on the practice squad will help him recover from a devastating injury.
    CB- Isaiah Green- bounced between roster and practice squad last year.

After 1 week of camp here is my protection of 53

QB: (2)
    Ben Roethlisberger

Bruce Gradkowski
    Missing from my original prediction: Landy Jones: From what I have being READING Jones has been having a bad camp. I would sign Brendon Key onto the practice squad and have him serve as the “look team” QB

RB: (4)
    Leveon Bell

LeGarrette Blount
    Dri Archer
    Will Johnson

WR: (5)
    Antonio Brown
    Markus Wheaton

Lance Moore
    *Justin Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    Missing from my original prediction: Derek Moye: Moye or Coale could force themselves onto the roster if the Steelers keep six WR. But the question is why, since Archer can play RB/WR.

TE: (3)
    Heath Miller

Matt Spaeth
    *Eric Waters
    Missing from my original prediction: Rob Blanchflower: his injury hurt Blanchflower and open the door for Waters. And high ankle sprain is going to last at least two/three weeks, which mean Blanchflower will miss the 1st and possible the 2nd pre-season game. Starters will play most of the 3rd game, so it sounds like PS for Blanchflower.

OL: (10)
    Kelvin Beachum
    Ramon Foster
    Maurkice Pouncey
    David DeCastro
    Marcus Gilbert

Cody Wallace
    *Chris Elkins
    Wesley Johnson
    Guy Whipper
    Mike Adams
    Wallace will be the backup for C/G and Johnson/Whipper/Adams for be fighting for the tackle that will get a hat on Sundays. If Johnson or Whipper can be 1st of the bench, Adams may be cut. I haven’t read anything good about Adams first week of camp. The Steelers may be looking on the waiver wire, when cuts are start being made.

DL: (6)
    Cameron Heyward
    Cam Thomas
    Stephon Tuitt
    Steve McLendon

Brian Armfelt
    *Daniel McCuller
    Missing from my original prediction: Josh Mauro: With Thomas and McCuller able to play some NT behind McLendon and both play snaps at DE behind Heyward and Tuitt, Josh is heading to the PS: I actually believe Armfelt will backup Haywood and Thomas will backup Tuitt and McCuller on game day.

LB (10)
    Jarvis Jones
    Ryan Sharier
    Lawrence Timmons
    Jason Worilds

Sean Spence
    Vince Williams
    Arthur Moats
    Terence Garvin
    Chris Carter
    VicSo’to
    I believe that ALL the non-starter LB will be involved in special teams, and THAT’S going to be fun to watch.

DB: (10)
    Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    Troy Polamalu
    Mike Mitchell

William Gay
    Shamarko Thomas
    Shaquille Richardson
    Will Allen
    Jordan Dangerfield
    Antwon Blake
    Missing from my original prediction: Robert Golden: in this year camp Dangerfield is getting some respected and my push Golden off this roster.

Special Team (3)
    Brad Wing
    Shaun Suisham

Greg Warren

See my orginal post on the player breakdown

Chris Carter, VicSo’to are unlikely i think. Zumwalt please
    Last edited by K Train; 08-01-2014 at 01:43 PM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    After 1 week of camp here is my protection of 53

QB: (2)
    Ben Roethlisberger

Bruce Gradkowski
    Missing from my original prediction: Landy Jones: From what I have being READING Jones has been having a bad camp. I would sign Brendon Key onto the practice squad and have him serve as the “look team” QB

RB: (4)
    Leveon Bell

LeGarrette Blount
    Dri Archer
    Will Johnson

WR: (5)
    Antonio Brown
    Markus Wheaton

Lance Moore
    *Justin Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    Missing from my original prediction: Derek Moye: Moye or Coale could force themselves onto the roster if the Steelers keep six WR. But the question is why, since Archer can play RB/WR.

TE: (3)
    Heath Miller

Matt Spaeth
    *Eric Waters
    Missing from my original prediction: Rob Blanchflower: his injury hurt Blanchflower and open the door for Waters. And high ankle sprain is going to last at least two/three weeks, which mean Blanchflower will miss the 1st and possible the 2nd pre-season game. Starters will play most of the 3rd game, so it sounds like PS for Blanchflower.

OL: (10)
    Kelvin Beachum
    Ramon Foster
    Maurkice Pouncey
    David DeCastro
    Marcus Gilbert

Cody Wallace
    *Chris Elkins
    Wesley Johnson
    Guy Whipper
    Mike Adams
    Wallace will be the backup for C/G and Johnson/Whipper/Adams for be fighting for the tackle that will get a hat on Sundays. If Johnson or Whipper can be 1st of the bench, Adams may be cut. I haven’t read anything good about Adams first week of camp. The Steelers may be looking on the waiver wire, when cuts are start being made.

DL: (6)
    Cameron Heyward
    Cam Thomas
    Stephon Tuitt
    Steve McLendon

Brian Armfelt
    *Daniel McCuller
    Missing from my original prediction: Josh Mauro: With Thomas and McCuller able to play some NT behind McLendon and both play snaps at DE behind Heyward and Tuitt, Josh is heading to the PS: I actually believe Armfelt will backup Haywood and Thomas will backup Tuitt and McCuller on game day.

LB (10)
    Jarvis Jones
    Ryan Sharier
    Lawrence Timmons
    Jason Worilds

Sean Spence
    Vince Williams
    Arthur Moats
    Terence Garvin
    Chris Carter
    VicSo’to
    I believe that ALL the non-starter LB will be involved in special teams, and THAT’S going to be fun to watch.

DB: (10)
    Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    Troy Polamalu
    Mike Mitchell

William Gay
    Shamarko Thomas
    Shaquille Richardson
    Will Allen
    Jordan Dangerfield
    Antwon Blake
    Missing from my original prediction: Robert Golden: in this year camp Dangerfield is getting some respected and my push Golden off this roster.

Special Team (3)
    Brad Wing
    Shaun Suisham

Greg Warren

See my orginal post on the player breakdown
    Just my thoughts.

TE: If Blanchflower goes PS, then Paulson or Palmer stays before Waters (although he has turned some heads with his blocking). I could be wrong about that, but just a hunch because the team likes experience.

OL: No way Adams is cut unless he really implodes during camp.

LB: Zumwalt?

DB: Golden is ranked as one of the best ST guys in the league and has been getting reps with the first team along with Shamarko because of Mitchell being out. He stays.

ST: Just keep in mind that Bryce Davis plays a position and is a long snapper. Not likely to unseat Warren but possible.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Golden will be on the roster no doubt. Funny how one article, one day, from one proactice sent Dangerfield into stardom lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Golden will be on the roster no doubt. Funny how one article, one day, from one proactice sent Dangerfield into stardom lol
    Imagine if he does something tonight, the Friday night practice.

He will be a HOFer by midnight! ;-)
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    I don't recall Tomlin ever keeping 10 OL, is Chris Elkins so good that he can't be passed to the practice squad?

Guy Whipper lol

I still think DHB finds a way on to the roster... Antwon Blake is the #1 gunner... who is running on the other side?

Gotta admit, a lot of these predictions sound like they've been made based directly on the beat reporting (Elkins, Dangerfield, Waters)

I'll wait to see some pre-season games to make my choices

Weslye Johnson will make the roster, Elkins will not

Guy Whipper is oddly even more fitting than Whimper lol

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Weslye Johnson will make the roster, Elkins will not

Guy Whipper is oddly even more fitting than Whimper lol
    Guy Whipper, sounds like a pro rasslin' name lol.

Zumwalt (ST)

Thread Information