Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Steeler Roster (Projected)

Bookmark and Share

2014 Steeler Roster (Projected)

Now that the 2014 daft is in the books, allow me to save the Steelers time/money and energy and set the 53 man roster and practice squad now. (05/13/14) Starter in bold

QB:
    Ben Roethlisburgher: one of the most underrated QB in the league; entering his prime years as a QB. Hope he learned that getting rid of the ball will help him play all 16 games of the season. Should be giving the freedom to run a lot of no-huddle this season, with great results.

Bruce Gradkoski: a capable backup that I hope I don’t see again this year. Because that means that Ben played all the games again.

Landry Jones: With a year within the system, hope to see better results in the pre-season. I hope I never see Jones is a regular season game this year. If we have, something has gone this year for the Steelers. The only question to be asked this year for Jones is he a capable backup for Ben NEXT year.

RB:
    LeVeon Bell: LeVeon will be the “bell cow” for the Steelers this year and for years to come: Can run with power, can catch the ball and has enough speed to take it the distance.

LeGarrette Blount: Give the Steelers someone that could Bell a rest, or carrier the load is something happen to Bell. Expect him to get around 10 touches a game, but has not shown that catching the ball is his strength.

Will Johnson: the only FB on the team, and is a good player. I personnel would like to see him more involved in the offense.

Dri Archer: On the series that Bell has off, on third down Archer could be on the field: At 4.29 there isn’t a player in the NFL that could cover him in space. Could you imagine Moore and Archer in the slots with Brown and Wheaton on the outside? But his primary role with the Black and Gold will be special teams as a kick/punt returner.

WR
    Antonio Brown: Pro-Bowl, may never be consider one of the best WR in the NFL, but is one of the most productive player in the NFL.

Markus Wheaton: The fact that the Steelers didn’t address the WR position until the 4th round, shows how much confidence they have in Wheaton. People seams to forget, Wheaton was doing well, last season until he injured the reinjured his hand last year. In fact (JC) only became a factor after Wheaton went down. The Black and Gold are expecting big things from him this season.

Lance Moore: the perfect move the changes receiver. Will be the 3rd receiver on the field and will play mostly from the slot position. I hated to see (JC) leave, but I’m ok with Moore being given his role.

Martavis Bryant: Steeler Nation can you please stop whining about a tall receiver. At 6’4” he has jump ball ability. From my understanding he is also a 4.4 guy, and is a “one trick pony” guy. I know he played with Sammy Watkins in college, but see me in two years.

Derek Moye: another tall receiver at 6’5”, I like him, although I don’t like the TD he dropped last year. He showed something last preseason and in his limited work during the regular season. Another back shoulder, red zone target for Ben.

Darrius Hayward-Bay: Has the speed but not the hands, consistence has been his major issue. If the Steelers go with only 5 WR this year, DHB would be the old man out, but if they keep six he has a shot

TE:
    Heath Miller: when healthy the best all-around TE in the game: He is not the dominate blocker he once where; but he is still better than most and in a great pass catcher.

Matt Spaeth: Showed his valve in the running game once he was healthy again. And at 6’7” and 275 lbs. it’s almost like and an extra OL.

The 3rd will come down to Michael Palmer and Rob Blanchflower: Either is a great in-line blocker from my understanding. But I have heard some good things about Blanchflower

OL:
    Kelvin Beachum: are there thing that Beachum need to work on…yes…but as far as I’m concern, he is you starting left tackle. I know he isn’t the “package” but he is good. It would good to see how good he can be, now that he can focus on one position this year. No more jack of all trades, master of none.

Ramon Foster: Not flashy but very solid. I don’t see pro-bowls in his future, but I also don’t see anyone beating him out of this spot for a few years.

Maurkice Pouncey: Three times All-Pro: as long as no-one drive into his legs again, I don’t see why he can’t be as good as he has been. I just hope that he is not looking for Mack type money on his new contract. I would hate to see him in another uniform next season.

David DeCastro: I loved it when the Steelers drafted him, and I love the choice even more now: Depending on the team win-lost record, he will be All-Pro very soon. We all know, winning teams get more status, and with the sack for the Steelers going down, people will start to see how good he is.

Marcus Gilbert: This is the one position on the line I don’t feel great about. Gilbert has held the position for two years, but I’m underwhelmed. Adams how something here two years ago, But he doesn’t get me excited either. Both need a TE on their side to be productive in pass-pro, and despite their size, either is a dominate run blocker. My hope is that the new OL coach get one/or both them to be more productive.

Mike Adams: See comments about Gilbert: If either of them approve, OT will be a candidate for a 1st round pick next year.

Cody Wallace: showed his valve last year when the top two centers when down. He a good backup, you know “break glass in case of an emergency” center. I don’t see him as an option as an guard long term, but could play there is needed. I personally see Pouncey moving to guard and Cody playing center, it something happen in a game.

Nik Embernate: he should be the “swing” guard: he seams to have the proper temperament from what I understand. If one of the guards were sidelined for multiple weeks, I see him as a better option the Wallace.

Guy Whimper: Let me say, I was surprised when he made the team. But he player guard and tackle for the Black and Gold last year and played well. The question for 2014 is can he hold off and Wesley Johnson of someone else for another year. I say yes.

DL:
    Cameron Heywood: this year he becomes the “Aaron Smith” of the DL: in his fourth year he is the old vet. And their BEST defense lineman, he should NEVER come off the field. The only thing I see stopping him from Pro-bowls is injury.

Steve McLendon: No…he is not Casy Hampton, but he isn’t bad either. I think he and Haywood will help form the new “Men of Steel”

Stephen Tuitt: again I loved this pick, but at the same time was sadden, because this pick means the end of “Da Beard” career in the Black and Gold. Unlike most, DE on the Steeler roster, Tuitt played and 3-3 end in college. And according to the DL coach, Truitt already has the atttiputes that they look for in a DE. In others words, he should not have to break him down and rebuilt him like he had to do with others. I see him as a starter from the opening of the season. Beside he don’t have a long time starter to beat out.

Brain Arnfelt: He will see action this season as the swing DE. The Steelers were very high on him last year, and when some injuries took place he actually played some in the regular season. I expect between 10-15 snap per game on the defense.

Cam Thomas: I know the Steelers say, he will see snaps and an DE this year, but I’m not seeing it: How many snaps will depend on how many DL the Steelers keep, and if he beat out Fanqupo as the backup NT. When the Steelers go to their 2/4/5 look: I see Haywood and McLendon/Tuitt as the DL. I see Thomans as a 10 snaps per game player.

Habron Fanqupo: his competition for playing time is with Cam Thomas. I see him making the 53 man roster, but being in-active for game day.

DB:
    Ike Taylor: I like Ike and I think some of the problems he had last year was because of poor FS play. There were a number of times it appear that Taylor was looking for help over the top and did receive it.
    There is no one on the roster that I see taking his spot.

Cortez Allen: He needs to stay healthy and get off to s better start to the season. He is good enough to play the slot or the boundary corner. I’m looking for a big season from Allen.

Troy Polamalu: I for one am glad to see Troy back this year, but it may be his last. He will walk into the HOF five years after he walks always. I’m just glad it will be as a Steeler.

Mike Mitchell: He as the speed and the ball skills that should help with more turnovers this year.

William Gay: can the boundary corner but is best suited for the slot. But when a team has big TE/WR in the slot, it may be better for Allen to play the slot with Gay on the outside.

Shamarko Thomas: He will take over for TP next year, but I see him was the nickel safety. Has the speed and will hit you when he gets there.

Will Allen: can help if someone injured and will take his spot as special team captain.

Antwon Blake: a good special teamer, and was one of the reasons that the Steelers passed on Dennard in the draft.

Brice McCain: up and down career with Houston, but was another reason the Steelers passed on Dennard.

Robert Golden: a good special teamer and will backup Mitchell/Allen

LB
    Jarvis Jones: Showed flashes, but needed to add weight to be able to hold the point of attack. The Steelers will need more than one sack from him to make the season successes.

Jason Worilds: Hope the Steelers signs him to a long term deal this year, before he “blow-up” for whatever reason he prefers playing on the offense strong side.

Lawrence Timmons: IMO one of the most underrated LB in the NFL. Has the speed to drop into coverage and the mass to make the ball carrier feel it on running plays. Should have made the Pro-Bowl last year.

Ryan Shazier: Allow me to say when I first heard the pick I wasn’t a “happy camper” but once I thought about it, and heard that the Steelers play is to play him inside, I began to love the pick. Teaming with Timmons will give the Steelers the fastest ILB on the NFL:

Arthur Moats: Until the pick of Shazier I would have bet that Moats was going to line up next to Timmons. But now, see him as a special team ace, and the first LB off the bench for either position.

Sean Spence: If healthy he will make this team. Spence and Shazier are the same type of player. Speed and quick “see-to-do” reaction; both have played some OLB in college, but both are projection as ILB in the pros.

Vince Williams: is a two down ILB that has to taken off the field on 3rd down or when a team uses three WR.

Chris Carter: maybe he will have a Jason Worilds experience this year. But I’m not willing be bet my house on this. But he is the only backup OLB with experience on the roster, which is the reason for my next choice to make the roster.

James Harrison: if he is willing to play for the vet. min. sign him up: I fully expect Jones and Worilds to be as advertised, but who would be the “man” if one of them was to go down. And if they do that, I can wear my Harrison jersey again, once he take the number away from Fanqupo.

Special Team
    Greg Warren: every year the Steelers bring in someone to take his place, and every year he beat them off. One year that will not be the case, but I don’t know if it’s going to be this year.

Shaun Suisham: made all the PAT and missed only FG last year.

Brad Wing: I’m tried on musical punter every year.

Practice Squad:
    Nick Williams (DE)
    Daniel McCuller (DT)
    Jordon Zunwalt (LB)
    Wesley Johnson (OL)
    Alvester Alexandria (RB)
    Chris Hubbard (OL)

Banned
    Really good work!

It's WAY too early... but I'll offer some feedback

1. I really doubt they keep Moye. A 5th WR make sense if he has special teams value (Heyward-Bey), a 6th WR who would only get a hat on game day if someone gets injured? Sorry, but that's a practice squad spot. Bryant takes Moye's roster.

2. 7-9 Oline... I think they drafted Wesley Johnson for a good reason. I think he's a lock to make the roster and knock 1 of those 3 out... or they keep 10.

3. Fangupo... really, what's the point? He has almost no upside... and very little experience. If we are going to give a spot, and not dress a guy... I'd rather it be the guy with tantalizing upside and no experience (McCullers or N.Williams). With so much focus on sub package football... I doubt will waste a depth spot on a gap plugger with no lateral agility.

4. I hope Shaq Richardson finds his way to the roster. Robert Golden is relatively useless.

5. Linebacker... is going to be interesting to see how it shakes out... but hopefully Vince Williams and Chris Carter are no where near the roster. With the amount of young talent we've added, these nobodies should be shown the road. Jordan Zumwalt will not make it to the practice squad.

Great read and i agree with a lot of it. I think this has been one of the better Steeler off seasons, in terms of cute FA signings and Steeler type players in the draft.

I can see Lance Moore getting people thinking about Hines Ward, Blount reminding us of the Bus.

I'd also like to see S Thomas get more playing time as i've seen / heard great things about him and he was a 2nd round pick last year so lets get his talent on the field. Hope J Jones steps his game up for the high price tag he was last year ( ie round 1 )

I still would have liked the steelers to have addressed the CB position with something more substantial than a cast off Texan, and a 5th round ( or 4th i can't remember ) draft pick.

I still would like us to have got a monster Tackle ( either left or right ) to make one of the tackle positions a lock down.

What has happened to Valesco ? Did someone else sign him ?

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    Great read and i agree with a lot of it. I think this has been one of the better Steeler off seasons, in terms of cute FA signings and Steeler type players in the draft.

I can see Lance Moore getting people thinking about Hines Ward, Blount reminding us of the Bus.

I'd also like to see S Thomas get more playing time as i've seen / heard great things about him and he was a 2nd round pick last year so lets get his talent on the field. Hope J Jones steps his game up for the high price tag he was last year ( ie round 1 )

I still would have liked the steelers to have addressed the CB position with something more substantial than a cast off Texan, and a 5th round ( or 4th i can't remember ) draft pick.

I still would like us to have got a monster Tackle ( either left or right ) to make one of the tackle positions a lock down.

What has happened to Valesco ? Did someone else sign him ?
    Velasco is a FA and will not be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Velasco is a FA and will not be signed.
    How so ? I thought he came in and played superbly considering he was off the street.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    How so ? I thought he came in and played superbly considering he was off the street.
    Ruptured achilles late in the year, won't be ready until midseason at the earliest, already have 2 centers under contract, and they just drafted Wesley Johnson who can play all 5 positions. Signing Velasco would be a waste.

2014 Steeler Roster (Projected)

Let's get through TC b4 guessing roster

Banned
    Bell taken off on 3rd down to bring in Archer. Highly doubt it, I can see Bell and Archer on the field at the same time on multiple occasions on 3rd down.

Both very good catchers and Bell is good at picking up the extra blitzer.

Archer will bring some dynamic different looks to this offense.

Rookie Free Agent
    Absolutely no way they will keep 6 WR on the roster especially w/ Archer capable of playing the slot. DHB has the edge over Moye for the 5th spot because DHB can be the gunner on special teams.

Moye will fight it out w/ Justin Brown for a practice squad spot.
    Last edited by Reg3835; 05-13-2014 at 11:51 PM.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Impossible to pick a Opening Day Roster in May.......Especially a team in Transition......I like some of the draft choices, I hope Spence makes it, the O line is still a WIP, WR spots are open, Defensive spots are all but a few open.......hell rosters change during the season hard to say in May.....

Thread Information