Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens vs. Columbus - let the playoffs begin!

My Mood
    Addicted
    2OT...this game is going to give me a heart attack

My Mood
    Addicted

Series tied at 1

I think I still hear meadowlarks singing - fancy pants behind the back passes aren't working

This was just supposed to be an exhibition series.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The amount of shorthanded goals given up this season is absolutely pathetic

Sid has been a turnover machine, Geno just plays lazy, The Jackets are ready to play and aren't afraid of the Pens star power. I look for the Jackets to win tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    The amount of shorthanded goals given up this season is absolutely pathetic
    It's a miracle - Danny boy and the cocky Pens getting called out by local media

Penguins' arrogance astounding

They never learn.

Every time the Penguins start to feel good about themselves, it seems they want to feel better. Good isn't good enough. They are hockey's great narcissists — hopelessly addicted to their own wondrous skill.

Their 4-3 double-overtime loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday provided yet another stirring example, in addition to costing the Penguins home-ice advantage in this first-round series.

The Penguins dominated the first period and led 3-1 going to the intermission. That kind of lead should be good enough this time of year, or as defenseman Matt Niskanen put it, “There's no reason to give up scoring chances — unnecessary ones — when you have a two-goal lead in the playoffs.”

The idea has to be to nurture the lead. To make it last. Defense should be the overriding mindset.

Only it wasn't.

That became clear when coach Dan Bylsma threw four forwards over the boards, including Evgeni Malkin at the point, for a power play six minutes into the period. The move shrieked offense. The situation called for a more conservative mindset — and it's not like the Penguins lack power play-capable defensemen.

The Blue Jackets had no business getting back in this game. Bylsma left the screen door open. Columbus had been dangerous on the penalty kill all season and had scored a short-handed goal in Game 1. There was no reason to take a chance.

Sure enough, Malkin fumbled a puck at the right point. He escaped unscathed. He then was victimized at the left point, which led to a 2-on-1 and Matt Calvert's short-handed goal.

This was sheer Penguins arrogance — and it changed the game for good. They never recaptured control. After outshooting the Blue Jackets, 15-4, in the first period, they were outshot 41-27 the rest of the way.

Afterward, Bylsma explained that he went with four forwards because it worked so well during the regular season. That is true. The Penguins had the league's top-ranked power play. But the playoffs are a different animal. Coaching staffs have way more time to break down opponent's special teams. They look for weaknesses.

Malkin on the point is a weakness.

It wasn't just the coach who fed the goal monster. The captain did, too. Sidney Crosby threw more interceptions than Neil O'Donnell in a Super Bowl. He was “credited” with a game-high four giveaways, more than the entire Columbus team, as he repeatedly attempted high-risk, cross-ice passes.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#axzz2zRI3KdjR

I saw that. Danny Boy thinks because he has Sid winning is a slam dunk. Uh Oh Sid has been lousy now what Dan, time to coach....

Give me Bortuzzo and get Tang out of here!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I too, would love to see Bortuzzo back in the game...I love the fire he plays with, and he's not afraid to finish a check, and he's willing to stand face to face with anyone

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post

Give me Bortuzzo and get Tang out of here!
    Like that's ever going to happen....

Dejan Kovacevic @-Zero indication of any lineup change, other than Megna/Pyatt entering for injured Gibbons, who isn’t skating. Bennett’s back on Sid line, Stempniak still on third line. Bortuzzo/Despres still a pair, meaning they aren’t playing again. ALL IS WELL.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Like that's ever going to happen....

Dejan Kovacevic @-Zero indication of any lineup change, other than Megna/Pyatt entering for injured Gibbons, who isn’t skating. Bennett’s back on Sid line, Stempniak still on third line. Bortuzzo/Despres still a pair, meaning they aren’t playing again. ALL IS WELL.
    If Dan had a sack he would. He benched Olli and he's a better player from it.

Thread Information