Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 15 (Steelers Big Board)

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I don't think our front office is stupid enough to waste the value of our draft slot on Ebron.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I bet they give him serious consideration if he's there. I'd prefer a number of different options over him, but I think he'd be one.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Ebron=Cook?

Wow. I do not see it that way at all. Don't get me wrong, the measurables are similar (I believe Cook is even faster than Ebron) but Ebron is much more productive. I hate using cliches like "drive", but something is missing from Cook. I would love drafting Ebron if he reached the type of player Cook should be.

Cook has never produced more than being adequate. I remember someone criticizing the Rams for signing him said, "Get ready for 12 weeks of nothing and then a great December."

Mayock, one of the few draft gurus I actually respect, has Ebron as a "Top 10 Talent" and says if he falls he would not get past the Steelers.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    That awfully high for Kouandjio, Nix and tuitt

Jordan Matthews over Robinson all day
    I'm going by what this team NEEDS. Sorry for being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I'm going by what this team NEEDS. Sorry for being realistic.
    I like Kouandjio, hes very Ramon-fosterish to me though

I actually really like Nix and Tuitt too, just dont see either as a top 15 pick...both are top 40-50 prospects to me

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Ebron=Cook?

Wow. I do not see it that way at all. Don't get me wrong, the measurables are similar (I believe Cook is even faster than Ebron) but Ebron is much more productive. I hate using cliches like "drive", but something is missing from Cook. I would love drafting Ebron if he reached the type of player Cook should be.

Cook has never produced more than being adequate. I remember someone criticizing the Rams for signing him said, "Get ready for 12 weeks of nothing and then a great December."

Mayock, one of the few draft gurus I actually respect, has Ebron as a "Top 10 Talent" and says if he falls he would not get past the Steelers.
    Exactly...Jared Cook could be like TO if he wanted to be

You can sign me up with miller playing traditional TE and Ebron working the seems out of the slot. Would make Brown/Wheaton/Moore look much better on the outside

Ebron=Cook?

I agree. And I like Mayock as well. One of the few draft "experts" that is tolerable.

Assistant Coach
    Ebron=Cook?

I understand that most use what qualified and respected analysts have to say.

Frankly, Mayock has a history of over the top stupid comments...

Mayock on Gabbert "he's the 1st QB off the board"
    NPB on Gabbert "he's not an NFL caliber QB"

Anyways... I don't think Ebron is special. And drafting a TE high in the 1st round requires him to be special...

It always amazes me how in general football fans recognize that Al Davis was legitimately loony during his final decade... and then they analyze draft prospects the same way Al did.

I look at the stuff that really matters... an 11.5 percent drop rate. And then to follow that up with 4 drops at your pro day, when you should catch everything with ease... sorry, bad teams draft "athletes" in the 1st round. Good teams draft football players.

If we were a deep/super bowl team picking at the end of the 1st with no major holes to fill, Id LOVE to take Ebron and bet on his athleticism/potential. At 15, busting that pick on a TE who can't catch would be an epic mistake.

please god let someone take him before us
    Return of the Banana

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I understand that most use what qualified and respected analysts have to say.
    It would be foolish not to. Anyone who completely ignores what other knowledgeable people say on a topic is living in a very narrow world and has a far too high opinion of his own abilities.

Frankly, Mayock has a history of over the top stupid comments...

Mayock on Gabbert "he's the 1st QB off the board"
    NPB on Gabbert "he's not an NFL caliber QB"
    I mean, really?

You are a very smart guy but this is RDS/Crash territory for you. Please step back.

The guy has evaluated thousands of college players pre-draft. That you found one where you are right and he is wrong is completely unremarkable. Heck, if you could get access to the pre-draft notes of a legendary talent evaluator like Bill Walsh, you could pick who you believe is the dumbest poster here and he probably has 50 examples of him being right and Walsh wrong. Think about it. You (and I) have spent a lot of time here defending Colbert/Tomlin for their drafts against those who think they suck evaluating talent and Mayock's opinion means nil because of a single player?

Anyways... I don't think Ebron is special. And drafting a TE high in the 1st round requires him to be special...
    The first part is fair. I disagree but it is fair. We are drafting mid first round, not high, but I would add I am against drafting a TE almost anywhere in the first round if he is not "special."

It always amazes me how in general football fans recognize that Al Davis was legitimately loony during his final decade... and then they analyze draft prospects the same way Al did.
    LOL

I look at the stuff that really matters... an 11.5 percent drop rate. And then to follow that up with 4 drops at your pro day, when you should catch everything with ease... sorry, bad teams draft "athletes" in the 1st round. Good teams draft football players.
    NFL Drop Leaders: 2012-Jimmy Graham 2013-Brandon Marshall

I do not know about you, but I would be OK with either being a Steeler.

I would also point out that you saw many more holes in Jarvis Jones's game but were pretty happy with the pick last season.

You are all in on trading up for Watkins, so you are cherry picking a single stat to eliminate Ebron. Ebron is seen by most as having excellent hands, and a guy who catches the ball away from his body. His drops were mostly "concentration drops", which is a problem easily rectified. His biggest issue by far, from the Steelers' perspective, should be that he cannot block a lick.

If we were a deep/super bowl team picking at the end of the 1st with no major holes to fill, Id LOVE to take Ebron and bet on his athleticism/potential. At 15, busting that pick on a TE who can't catch would be an epic mistake.
    And he fills one of those holes, Ben's big target.

please god let someone take him before us
    Probably going to happen and I am fine with it. I do not get so emotionally invested in a player that I cannot see the merits of others. Dennard, Gilbert, Evans, even Mosley would make me smile.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

If you have watched anything on Ebron at all aside from his drop percentage you would have seen how terrible his QB play was. Rennet before he got hurt and marquise Williams after were just terrible. I guess that doesn't matter because it doesn't line up with your argument lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like Ebron but I don't think he is on the level of a Graham, Gronk, Davis....But not many TE's are.....The fact Ebron doesn't offer anything when it comes to blocking will be the reason he won't be a Steeler......The Steelers expect their TE's to be factors in the running game.....I wish they would change from that and add an elite play-making TE but that is their way.

Thread Information