Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One on board, one to go

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

Next thing, im going to say it one more time LEONARD IS NOT A FULLBACK. I REPEAT NOT A FULLBACK. Just because hes white doesnt make him a FB, hes a great runner, and hes a big boy. He is not slow either....have you ever seen the leonard leap?

leaonard can call himself all he wants, even the president of the united states. if the nfl says hes a full back then thats what he will be or he can find himself going kordell stewarts route. randle el isnt a wr, but the nfl said he is.

this is why leonard is dropping the weight and working so hard to get his speed up to try and prove his is an hb. the nfl will decide.

hes not slow compared to most people, but when you start comparing him to other running backs entering the draft, hes not gonna make it into the 1st round on his 40 times alone. huge difference between a 4.3 40 time and 4.6 when youre trying to be a running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    HAHA! You see that guy land on his head.....lol

I've seen the clip, but never watched the defender. That was embarassing... what a whiff.

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    leaonard can call himself all he wants, even the president of the united states. if the nfl says hes a full back then thats what he will be or he can find himself going kordell stewarts route. randle el isnt a wr, but the nfl said he is.

this is why leonard is dropping the weight and working so hard to get his speed up to try and prove his is an hb. the nfl will decide.

hes not slow compared to most people, but when you start comparing him to other running backs entering the draft, hes not gonna make it into the 1st round on his 40 times alone. huge difference between a 4.3 40 time and 4.6 when youre trying to be a running back.
    But we dont need him to have amazing break away speed, you can see on that run he is fast, just like hines ward isnt exactly "fast" compared to other WRs, but yet he schooled Deangelo Hall with one shoe.

We dont need him to run a 4.3 for him to be successful with us and i hope his stock does drop so we can get him.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Remember, Jerome was a "half back". Labels mean nothing really when it comes down to it. If the NFL calls him a FB it's because that's what he was in college atleast at some point. ARE came out as a QB but we drafted him as a WR. If he can run and hold onto the ball and drag a tackler or 3 in the process then Im all for considering him for the black n gold.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can definitely see the team bringing back Najeh, to atleast compete because he's a healthy veteran, the likes of which we don't have on our roster right now besides Willie, in the RB dept.

Draft a young RB, preferably someone a bit bigger than Willie but not necessarily a big bruiser. As long as it's somewhat of a change of pace back, that's mainly what Im concerned about. They don't have to run as fast as Willie because we already have that style of back, just someone who can spell Parker here and there and carry the load in a pinch if something were to happen.

I still don't think we have to take a back on Day 1 to get what we need but if the opportunity presents itself in a manner that we just can't pass up, then go for it.

Everyone keeps saying they don't necessarily want a power back, just someone heavier than Willie. While I'm not voting that we find a guy that takes more time to reach speed than a loaded freight train I do want a guy who can run into a closing hole and still blast through it with momentum. As someone said before a back that can wear down a defense. Also, a back who can successfully get those last few yards in a goaline situation. I remember several times last season that Willie had fumbles and/or struggled to get in the endzone from only a few yards out.

BuFu

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I can definitely see the team bringing back Najeh, to atleast compete because he's a healthy veteran, the likes of which we don't have on our roster right now besides Willie, in the RB dept.

Draft a young RB, preferably someone a bit bigger than Willie but not necessarily a big bruiser. As long as it's somewhat of a change of pace back, that's mainly what Im concerned about. They don't have to run as fast as Willie because we already have that style of back, just someone who can spell Parker here and there and carry the load in a pinch if something were to happen.

I still don't think we have to take a back on Day 1 to get what we need but if the opportunity presents itself in a manner that we just can't pass up, then go for it.
    Ok, I agree, but who comes to mind off the top of your head that would be available for day 2. Do we need a Bettis type guy or do they just need a guy who can carry weight and power both in and outside the line. I say the latter
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

I think RB is an early priority, and from what i read so does tomlin

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Ok, I agree, but who comes to mind off the top of your head that would be available for day 2. Do we need a Bettis type guy or do they just need a guy who can carry weight and power both in and outside the line. I say the latter
    You and I agreeing is just too much for me to take man Honestly Ive been researching more of the day 1 picks so far, I haven't gotten into much of the day 2 guys yet but I will in the coming weeks. Just based on past experience though, RB's on day 2 are there to be had just about every year, and so many of them never get drafted or get passed by and not drafted till late in day 2.

It's not clear yet whether Tomlin thinks we need a pure power back like Bettis, or one that more versatile; a hybrid between Willie and Jerome you might say. Personally I could go with either type and be happy but I think to be the versatile offense that Tomlin is looking for in the running game having Willie and a "do it all" type back may be the way to go.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    that's the problem, who's coming out in this years draft that can be that type of person Hunt????? NO. Bush? Ya maybe but being hurt all last year. This is a good question that might be decided with FA
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information