Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers to sign S Mike Mitchell

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

Steelers to sign S Mike Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I wonder who's going to have to sit down now from the safety position? I guess Shamarko is going to have to take a backseat for another year.
    Shamarko will replace Troy someday, he doesn't have the range to play FS.

I expect they will experiment with him in the slot again...
    Return of the Banana

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    He was... But we are looking towards a vastly improved front 7 of our own, just from a sheer development standpoint (Heyward, Worrilds, Jones)
    That's only 3. Heyward and Worilds are both just emerging, the jury is very much out on Jones, and there's not much else to talk about, well maybe Timmons but that's it. I'm struggling to get to vastly improved front 7.

My Mood
    Ratbirds

I really like this signing. We are now much stronger at the position than we were a month ago. It also allows us to go for the big WR and CB in the first two rounds.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    Steelers gave former Panthers S Mike Mitchell a five-year, $25 million deal, per source.

Assistant Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    That's only 3. Heyward and Worilds are both just emerging, the jury is very much out on Jones, and there's not much else to talk about, well maybe Timmons but that's it. I'm struggling to get to vastly improved front 7.
    Worrilds and Heyward were just emerging last year, as full time starters going into this season it is fair to expect them to be much better on a snap to snap basis.

Jones gave us almost nothing last year, but with 1st round talent it's fair to expect him to be much better this year.

McClendon in his first year starting was surprisingly NOT a weak link.

Timmons is Timmons.

I'm concerned with Who will pair with TImmons inside, and who will replace Keisel.

Last year we had 3 question marks at OLB and a new NT, along with a known bum in Hood

We are vastly improved going in to this year.
    Return of the Banana

Mosley

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Our passing defense was the worst it has been in years. They had to do something. We will all know soon enough if this was a good thing. I expect our front 7 to be very much improved next year. I am thinking Al Woods needs some more NG play also.

Mike Mitchell had a career high four interceptions last season for the Panthers. Mitchell was originally drafted by the Raiders, who took him with the 47th overall selection out of Ohio University.

Mitchell only started nine games for the Raiders in four seasons. He started 13 games for the Panthers last season and in addition to those four INTS also had four sacks.

Many of the draft experts thought the Raiders reached badly when they took Mitchell in the second round. In fact, many in the Raiders organization wanted to cut him after only one year.

According to a 2010 report by Pro Football Talk, Oakland owner Al Davis was the only reason Mitchell was around for a second season with the Raiders. He came to his defense when the coaches wanted to keep Stevie Brown instead of him.

Guess why Davis liked him?

Speed.

Mitchell was clocked at 4.39 in the 4-yard dash at the 2009 scouting combine.

It never did work out for Mitchell in Oakland, but by all accounts he had a fine season in Carolina. In an October story in the Charlotte Observer, Panthers coach Ron Rivera called Mitchell a “ball hawk.”

That’s certainly something the Steelers can use. They ranked near the bottom of the NFL once again in turnovers created.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201403110003

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Let me be the first (since I've slammed him pretty hard) to give Colbert props on this move.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

What's the big deal with this guy?? Just asking.

Thread Information