Thread: Paul Posluszny: scout.com article

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Paul Posluszny: scout.com article

By Michael Lombardo

Posted Feb 14, 2007

They don’t call it Linebacker U for nothing. From old-school studs like Jack Ham to the recently released LaVar Arrington, Penn State has always been known for producing stellar linebackers. Paul Posluszny is the next in line and is ready to showcase his skills on the professional venue with teams lining up for a look at him.

Given his impressive talents and his equally impressive alma mater, it is hard to fathom his collegiate success won’t carry over.
    Scout.com has confirmed that the Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, and St. Louis Rams were among the teams talking to the linebacker.

The 6-foot-2, 237-lb. Paul Posluszny posted some monster numbers as a Nittany Lion. He finished his four-year career with 372 tackles, nine sacks and 35 tackles for a loss. He won the Bednarik Award as the nation’s top defender after the 2005 and 2006 seasons and was named first team All-America both years.

His off-the-field accolades were just as impressive. He was twice named an Academic All-American and graduated in just three-and-a-half years with a 3.54 GPA and a major in finance.

“Paul is just a smart, tough, good football player who is a good athlete and has a great sense for the game,” Lions coach Joe Paterno said. “He knows how to play it and he is a delight to have on your team.”

Having already won over his college coach, Posluszny looked to impress some pro coaches while down in Mobile, Ala. for the Senior Bowl. He did a good job of it too, proving to be an enforcer in the box, capable of making plays up the field. He was also quick to diagnose plays and routinely ran over blockers on his way to the ball-carrier.

Posluszny did reveal some flaws, however, mostly in pass coverage. He struggled moving in reverse and had a hard time staying with tight ends coming off the line.

“There are a lot of things I need to improve, but the main thing is working on pass coverage,” Posluszny said.

Posluszny is a versatile player, capable of manning any linebacker position. He can play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3, although most of the teams he spoke with during Senior Bowl week utilized the latter scheme.

Posluszny also has a refreshing respect for the game. When asked to compare himself to a current NFL player, he humbly declined.

“I can’t really compare myself to anyone in the NFL right now - you have to get there first,” he said.

Barring some catastrophic misfortune, he will indeed get there. While he will likely make his most immediate impact in running situations and on special teams, there is no ceiling on just how good a player he can be.

His combination of profuse potential and proven productivity is sure to make him a high draft pick. His tireless work ethic and gung-ho attitude are certain to make the team that selects him a better one.
    I like this guys blue collar work ethics but I wouldn't pick him in the first round over someone like Anthony Spencer! But he is being projected by some as a legit 1st rounder. I wouldn't be happy if this was our first round pick! A second or third rounder would be more appropriate but he won't last that long!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

hes a first rounder, not as high as AJ hawk but hes definetly a first rouder, if we got him i think he would play MLB in our system

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes a first rounder, not as high as AJ hawk but hes definetly a first rouder, if we got him i think he would play MLB in our system
    Yeah, I would think he'd play in the middle.

I like this quote from Gruden at the Senior Bowl...

"I hear the thunder when he's out there,'' Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, the North team's head coach, said of Posluszny. "I turn around and it's No. 31, knocking somebody sideways in the hole. All I know is that this guy will hit you hard and hit you often."

Cool video!

It's hard for me to believe there is a better linebacker in the nation in the hole, or at the point of contact.

Buster Davis is a close second...

vid:

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    he plays hard, and plays bigger than he is. He's got intensity and heart, and that's something you can't coach.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    he plays hard, and plays bigger than he is. He's got intensity and heart, and that's something you can't coach.
    He is a born leader... passion for the game and a strong work ethic breeds leaders. He will be a great addition to any lockeroom.

Thread Information