Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 870

Thread: 1st RD PICK

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #31
    Rookie Free Agent Pokey Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    43
    new here. Hi.

    I think Dennard is the best choice where we pick. Next to a franchise QB corner is now imo the most important position in the league with all the rules favoring the passing game. We need to follow Seattle's model on D and Dennard is a good starting point. Unless we tank we won't have a chance to draft a corner this good any time soon.

    mind you NT is a greater need, but the best available (Nix) isn't good enough to pick 15th.

  2. #32
    Da Film Crew Mike Tomlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey Jones View Post
    new here. Hi.

    I think Dennard is the best choice where we pick. Next to a franchise QB corner is now imo the most important position in the league with all the rules favoring the passing game. We need to follow Seattle's model on D and Dennard is a good starting point. Unless we tank we won't have a chance to draft a corner this good any time soon.

    mind you NT is a greater need, but the best available (Nix) isn't good enough to pick 15th.
    I feel the same way about Nix, not high on either of the corners yet, atleast not as high as I am on the receivers we may be able to get at 15.
    Last edited by Mike Tomlin; 03-01-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

  3. #33
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,375
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

    1st RD PICK

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey Jones View Post
    new here. Hi.

    I think Dennard is the best choice where we pick. Next to a franchise QB corner is now imo the most important position in the league with all the rules favoring the passing game. We need to follow Seattle's model on D and Dennard is a good starting point. Unless we tank we won't have a chance to draft a corner this good any time soon.

    mind you NT is a greater need, but the best available (Nix) isn't good enough to pick 15th.
    I think there are better options than Nix at 1 even though he will be a VERY good one. Our NT played about half the snaps last year. I do not want to use the 15 pick on a 1-2 down player. McClendon actually graded out decent with Pro Football Focus or we could possibly pick up someone like Terrence Cody pretty cheap and move McClendon to end.

    CB and safety are far bigger needs, IMO.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  4. #34
    Rookie Free Agent Pokey Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    43
    I like McClendon, but he just isn't strong enough or big enough to be a true NT. More suited to a 4-3 line. Similar problem with Hood who I also think would be a good interior guy in a 4-3 but is just too slow as a DE. Heyward shows real promise there but he's really the only guy I see on this roster in a really good 3-4 line. Since we aren't going to go 4-3 in this scheme ultimately we will need a nose tackle AND a replacement for Kiesel in the long run. Sadly we will likely have to make do and wait on this.

  5. #35
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey Jones View Post
    We need to follow Seattle's model on D and Dennard is a good starting point.
    If we follow Seattle's model, then first thing we need is a pass rush. And getting that D-line together around Heyward would be the place to do it.

    But...as far as the cornerbacks are concerned, why is Dennard so important to you? LeBeau is just going to make him give all the wide receivers he's covering 10 yard cushions. LeBeau isn't going to change his method of cornerback technique just because of Dennard. LeBeau isn't changing his philosophies for anybody. So if you actually think that LeBeau is just going to wake up and allow man to man coverage on a constant basis like the Seahawks, then your dreaming.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  6. #36
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey Jones View Post
    I like McClendon, but he just isn't strong enough or big enough to be a true NT. More suited to a 4-3 line.
    Well said.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  7. #37
    Rookie Free Agent Pokey Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    If we follow Seattle's model, then first thing we need is a pass rush. And getting that D-line together around Heyward would be the place to do it.

    But...as far as the cornerbacks are concerned, why is Dennard so important to you? LeBeau is just going to make him give all the wide receivers he's covering 10 yard cushions. LeBeau isn't going to change his method of cornerback technique just because of Dennard. LeBeau isn't changing his philosophies for anybody. So if you actually think that LeBeau is just going to wake up and allow man to man coverage on a constant basis like the Seahawks, then your dreaming.
    First off I think this is Lebeau's last year. This issue you raise has been a sore point with me for years now. We play too far off and do not play enough man coverage, full agreement. This is why Brady kills us. Couple years back we beat NE by playing a lot of man coverage. Rumor has it Carnell Lake's idea. So I hold out hope that we see the light. Dennard would allow us to play him man on man with their best receiver even if we play zones underneath and inside.

    Won't disagree with needing a better D line but you can't fix everything in one draft.

  8. #38
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,566
    True...

    If we add the big WR we need and go defense with the rest of the draft, I could be happy with that.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  9. #39
    Veteran steelchamp204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,912
    What is everyones opinion on a "big" receiver?? 6'5 on up??

    There is nothing wrong with a 6'3 receiver also.

    Cracks me up how if we don't draft Benjamin/Evans this draft will be fail

  10. #40
    Starter LevonKirkland99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Redskins country
    Posts
    1,610
    some drafts have Marqise Lee WR,USC as first round pick. I highly doubt it if the Steelers pik WR is the forst round, will they???
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  2. PICK ME WITH THE FIRST PICK!!!
    By weakdraft in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •