Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Article for upcoming draft. Nice read.

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    From the Combine:

Clemson WR Sammy Watkins measured 6-foot 3/4 and 211 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.
    He was listed at 6-foot-1, 205 at Clemson. So the size isn't a detriment. Watkins is a highly explosive, NFL-ready route runner with rare ability to blow past defensive backs in and out of breaks and create separation very early in pass patterns. He will be the first wide receiver chosen in May's draft.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Who's the best blocking TE coming out in the draft?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Can Kelvin Block?

Assistant Coach
    Troy Niklas is the best blocking TE as far as starter caliber TEs go. Guys who can make some plays in the passing game and not simply be a 6th oline.

if you are talking about a TE who will strictly be a blocking TE/6th oline type... then Arthur Lynch is probably the best
    Return of the Banana

cj fiedorowicz

Some time with Kelvin Benjamin
    Ray Fittipaldo about 1 hour ago

The Steelers have a need for a big receiver and Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State could be a target in May. Benjamin met with reporters at the NFL combine today. Here is the transcript from his session with reporters:

What separates you from the other receivers?

"I just want to be physical but I try to be smart, too."

Who do you watch to get better?

"I watch a lot of receivers. I don’t just watch the big guys, I try to watch the little guys, too. You watch the smaller guys to imitate their quickness off the line. Some guys, that first step, you can learn a lot from watching them do that."

People say you’ve matured a lot the last few year, in what way have you matured?

"Just growing up and being a man. I’ve learned to do the things you have to do to be a man. Before I was basically just being a kid, doing kid things. Not putting in the work you need to put in to be a great receiver."

What turned that around?

"Just seeing the season we had (in 2012), knowing that we could have gone to a national championship, knowing that we left a lot out there. I just wanted to turn it around for the team, for the organization."

On the game-winning play in the title game

"It was a simple slant route. I knew Jimbo was coming back to me. Whenever there was a catch on the line or a touchdown on the line he was coming back to me and it was a slant route. I knew he (the DB) was thinking fade and so I tried to sell him on that fade route. Three steps out I got inside of him and just did what I do best, which is attack it at the highest point."

Did you jump before Winston threw that pass?

"Yeah. Sometimes I jump early. It throws the DB off. They go, oh man."

How do you compare Jameis to E.J. Manuel?

"You really can’t. They’re two totally different types of guys. But at the end of the day they care about the team. That’s what they care about most of all. And they care about their receivers. E.J. and Jameis, both of them, if you have an off the field problem, you can go to them and they’ll be there to talk to you. If you need to borrow a couple of bucks, they’ll give it to you. That’s the type of guys they are."

What did you measure and weigh?

"6-5, 240, 4-percent body fat."

What do you want to run?

"I’m pushing for 4.3, that’s my goal."

Do you try to emulate anyone in the NFL?

"I really just want to make my own identity. Be that player that a lot of these guys growing up want to be."

What sets you apart from the rest of the receivers in your class?

"Off the jam, I love press coverages."

You’re really good at making yards after the catch, what’s the key to that?

"First, catching it. That was one of my problems. Seeing the yards before, I start to run and I wound up dropping the ball. That’s something I really have to work on. Once you catch it, you just have to keep moving, keep your legs going and get up field and everything else will take care of itself."

Were you held back in grammar school?

"Yes, I was held back in first grade and third grade."

What do they call your hometown?

"Muck City, because of the rich soil."

And did you chase rabbits as a kid there?

"Yeah, everybody chased rabbits back in the day, when you were small. I mean, they were good to eat. They’re really good if you’ve never had them before. But that also helps you with speed and agility and stuff like that."

Idk about 4.3 lol. I'll stay with what I said a couple weeks ago, mid-4.5s.

Assistant Coach

WR Article for upcoming draft. Nice read.

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Idk about 4.3 lol. I'll stay with what I said a couple weeks ago, mid-4.5s.
    If he runs anywhere in the 4.4 range... Holy ****... Watch out.

If he runs sub 4.55... You can lock him in as the guy I want over anyone else potentially available at our pick.

Raw talent is a risk... But like when I was talking up Alston Jeffrey in his draft class... Sometimes you have to be willing to take that risk on raw playmaking talent..we NEED that type of talent, and if we want it in this draft, at our position, we will have to take some risk.

Odell and Robinson are more polished for sure... And I think Robinson has a very high ceiling... But Benjamin has off the charts potential... And a bust like floor

"Go big or go home" lol
    Return of the Banana

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post

If he runs sub 4.55... You can lock him in as the guy I want over anyone else potentially available at our pick.

Raw talent is a risk... But like when I was talking up Alston Jeffrey in his draft class... Sometimes you have to be willing to take that risk on raw playmaking talent..we NEED that type of talent, and if we want it in this draft, at our position, we will have to take some risk.

Odell and Robinson are more polished for sure... And I think Robinson has a very high ceiling... But Benjamin has off the charts potential... And a bust like floor

"Go big or go home" lol
    Completely agree all the way around. If he runs in the 4.4s he'll be a top 10 pick. I'm all about Benjamin lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post

"Go big or go home" lol
    I agree he's a gamble but like I said before we don't need him to be a complete receiver day one ,we need him to do what he does naturally and grow into a complete receiver. People that said he was just a jumpball guy didn't watch enough of his routes. I'll say it, yes he is Calvin Johnson-like at times I repeat Calvin Johnson-LIKE, he moves really well to be that big and his hands are bigger than most peoples heads. Just like Calvin grew to be who he is Kelvin will do the same. I could see him running a high 4.3 once but he is a 4.4 guy but that's if he's in great shape which I don't think he was last season.

Just like those who say Nix is a must because he fits the scheme, Kelvin fits our scheme because Haley always has the big receiver in his offense and because he's whats missing in THIS offense regardless of Haley. We don't need his game to be complete this year the other threats around him will bring what he's missing. Not having the pressure of being the number 1 he can really take advantage of those one on one match ups he'll see with Brown leading the lead in catches, Miller showing he'll be back to his old self, and Cotch racking up red-zone TD's this year.
    Last edited by Mike Tomlin; 02-22-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information