Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Article for upcoming draft. Nice read.

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

WR Article for upcoming draft. Nice read.

Position of need: Wide receiver

Unrestricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders is likely to receive an offer that the Steelers are unwilling to match and sign elsewhere. Even if Markus Wheaton is ready to step into the starting lineup after playing sparingly as a rookie and the Steelers re-sign No. 3 wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, they could still find room for a wide receiver, particularly one who is bigger than the ones they have on their roster and are projected to play regularly in 2014. The Steelers would make no bigger splash with the 15th overall pick than if they selected a tall wide receiver, something quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has long coveted.

2014 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
    NFL
    The 2014 NFL scouting combine is Feb. 19-25 in Indianapolis.

• Combine daily schedule
    • List of invitees
    • NFL draft home

Three players the Steelers might be targeting

Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: Played just two seasons for the Seminoles but exploded onto the scene in 2013, catching 54 passes for 1,011 yards and an ACC-best 15 touchdown receptions. Benjamin may be the most intriguing player among the draft-eligible wide receivers because of his blend of size and athleticism and his upside, which may be the highest among the wideouts. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Benjamin just eighth in his rankings of the top 10 wide receivers in the draft but no player could move up more based on what he does in Indianapolis. It will be interesting to see what his measurements are -- Benjamin is listed at 6-foot-4 7/8, 233 pounds -- as well as what he runs in the 40-yard dash. Benjamin doesn't lack the polish of other top wide receivers in the draft, which might make picking him at No. 15 overall risky. But if the Steelers don't get him in the first round they are unlikely to get another crack at Benjamin.

Mike Evans, Texas A&M: Johnny Manziel's primary target in college has already been linked to the Steelers by several draft analysts, and he may be the most attractive tall wide receiver in the draft. Evans, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, had two highly productive seasons at Texas A&M before declaring for the draft, and he is second on Kiper's rankings for wide receivers. Here is what Kiper wrote about Evans earlier this week: "I had a friend in one front office tell me he feels Evans has the best ball skills he's seen in 20 years. I won't go that far, but If Evans shows off mid-4.4 speed, we'll have teams debating the top wide receiver in this draft between him and [Sammy] Watkins." Like Benjamin, there are questions about Evans' speed, but no receiver in the draft is better in jump-ball situations or plays bigger than Evans, who had 69 catches for 1,394 yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Allen Robinson, Penn State: It took him just two seasons to etch his name all over the Nittany Lions' record book for wide receivers, obliterating marks held by O.J. McDuffie and Bobby Engram, each of whom had lengthy and productive NFL careers. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder has good size and he uses the basketball skills that made him a Division I prospect in high school to make contested catches in traffic. Robinson is not among Kiper's top 10 wide receivers but that is a reflection of the depth at the position more than anything. The two-time Big Ten wide receiver of the year is a likely second-round pick though Robinson still has time to push his way into the first round, especially if he runs well as the combine. He could be an option for the Steelers in the second round if they don't pick a wide receiver at No. 15 overall and if Robinson, who caught 97 passes for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns last season, is still on the board.

You can't go wrong with either 3 I believe.

If Robinson in a 2nd or late first round, I would trade back to get him. He will have just as good of a career as the other two. Just sucks he wasn't on a contending BCS team or he would have gotten the same recognition.

Out of these 3:

1) Evans
    2) Benjamin
    3) Robinson

I would really like Evans but then again you don't know who's going to fall or if the Steelers are going to make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    Out of these 3:

1) Evans
    2) Benjamin
    3) Robinson

I would really like Evans but then again you don't know who's going to fall or if the Steelers are going to make a move.
    I love Benjamin because he is tall and has an upside, I think Evans is the total package to some degree.

What I love about Robinson which I think he is better/equal than the other 2 at goes as follows.

1. He not that much smaller than either Evans/Benjamin
    2. Solid hands
    3. Way better route running
    4. Fits the mold with WR screens/slants/double moves and can burn CBs
    5. Better in the open field

To me, he is a more polished WR than Evans(even though Evans isn't a scrub) or Benjamin, kind of like M. Lee is coming out. The only thing that people overlook and want Evans/Benjamin is for the extra 1-2 inches maximum.

Take a look at Robinson tape on youtube or any other source that you can get to watch this kid. He attacks the ball in mid air like he is 6'7. He adjusts as good as any WR in the country with underthrown and bad passes.

YES, I AM A HOMER. But, this kid is getting way overlooked imho.

If the Steelers trade out of 15, Robinson will be a Steeler come draft day.

I would be happy with any of the 3, but I will get flamed for this.

1. Evans
    2. Robinson
    3. Marqise Lee
    4. Mathews
    5. Benjamin
    Last edited by steelchamp204; 02-21-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I love Benjamin because he is tall and has an upside, I think Evans is the total package to some degree.

What I love about Robinson which I think he is better/equal than the other 2 at goes as follows.

2. Solid hands

To me, he is a more polished WR than Evans(even though Evans isn't a scrub) or Benjamin, kind of like M. Lee is coming out. The only thing that people overlook and want Evans/Benjamin is for the extra 1-2 inches maximum.

Take a look at Robinson tape on youtube or any other source that you can get to watch this kid. He attacks the ball in mid air like he is 6'7. He adjusts as good as any WR in the country with underthrown and bad passes.

1. Evans
    2. Robinson
    3. Marqise Lee
    4. Mathews
    5. Benjamin
    I rank the WRs right now as

Sammy Watkins
    Marqise Lee
    Mike Evans
    Donte Moncrief
    Allen Robinson
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Jarvis Landry
    Devante Adams
    Jordan Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I rank the WRs right now as

Sammy Watkins
    Marqise Lee
    Mike Evans
    Donte Moncrief
    Allen Robinson
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Jarvis Landry
    Devante Adams
    Jordan Matthews
    Sorry I didnt put Watkins on there, I figured he will be gone by the 8th pick. Obviously, he is number 1 by far.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post

2. Solid hands

1. Evans
    2. Robinson
    3. Marqise Lee
    4. Mathews
    5. Benjamin
    I like Robinson I look at him as the closest we come to being able to draft Sammy Watkins, to me they kind of play alike. Haven't watched alot of either but from what i've seen they have the same type of game.

I like Evans but I think he is what he's going to be, i'm worried he might be maxed out. I can't see him getting much better in the league compared to Benjamin. Thats not a knock on Evans i'd just rather have Benjamin for a number of reasons.

I agree with Real Deal on Lee I would turn off the draft if that was the receiver we picked early , I mean they wouldn't care but it would make me feel good for those 5 minutes that it's off lol.
    Last edited by Mike Tomlin; 02-22-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm a USC apologist but I don't want Marqise Lee in any way shape or form. It's Evans, Benjamin or Robinson for what we need at the WR position. I'm assuming the front office will breakdown the film and determine who fits best so whoever they go with, I"ll support.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

This is the Steelers... Look for Mosley or Nix 1st , Safety 2nd, and Moncrief in the third

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    From the NFL Combine:

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin measured 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine weigh-in.
    He's actually six pounds heavier than his college listing. Benjamin's forty time will go a long way toward determining his draft slot in May. He averaged 18.7 yards per catch and scored 15 touchdowns as a 2013 redshirt sophomore.

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans measured 6-foot-4 3/4 and 231 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.
    He's a fourth of an inch shorter than his college listing, but six pounds heavier. Drawing Vincent Jackson comparisons, Evans is expected to surprise when he runs his forty, perhaps clocking in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s. Still only 20 years old, Evans is virtual lock to be a top-15 selection in May's draft.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information