Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salary cap expected to increase by 5 percent

Bookmark and Share

Salary cap expected to increase by 5 percent

@AdamSchefter: NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.

Draft Pick
    I'll take it.

As the NFL’s revenues rise, so do the players’ salaries. And the 2014 season will see both the owners and the players getting richer than ever before.

This year’s salary cap is expected to rise to about $130 million per team, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. That’s a 5 percent increase from last year’s cap of $123 million, and it’s good news for teams that are tight on cap space.

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the amount teams can spend on players is determined by the league’s revenues, through a complex calculation that includes TV money, ticket sales, merchandising and so on. The players get about 48 percent of the total league revenue, so a cap of $130 million suggests that NFL teams are raking in about $270 million a year.

The salary cap should rise by at least a few million dollars per team next year as well, thanks to the new TV revenue coming from CBS buying the Thursday night package.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-130-million/

Not trying to jack the thread, but since we are on topic of money.

Wasn't Rooney going to add another 3-5k seats at Heinz??

Thanks for any answer. Now back to main topic.

Also reading an article that says Troy is on the bubble! Could we go into this season with money to spend??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Also reading an article that says Troy is on the bubble! Could we go into this season with money to spend??
    On the bubble?? Yes, Troy had some what the **** moments this season. He was solid this past season. I'd say 1 more season and that's it. We don't have the depth to release both safeties.

Troy isn't going anywhere this offseason. He was very good last year, played very defensive snap, and we aren't going into the 2014 season with 2 new starting safeties. I'd bet anything be stays. They will make some moves, ask guys to take pay cuts, restructure, extend some contracts, cut some people. And with the salary cap increase, they'll have some money to spend. Colbert said yesterday that they may be a little more active in Free Agency than they have in previous years.

Assistant Coach
    im kind of bummed the cap went up so much more than expected. With such a huge crop of quality free agents (seriously, this might be the deepest "starter" quality group of free agents in a decade)... I was hoping the cap would help drive down the cost of the 2nd tier...
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    im kind of bummed the cap went up so much more than expected. With such a huge crop of quality free agents (seriously, this might be the deepest "starter" quality group of free agents in a decade)... I was hoping the cap would help drive down the cost of the 2nd tier...
    Give it a season, then the overpaying will start all over again and teams will still be in cap hell. Just because the cap has increased doesn't mean desperate teams aren't going to overpay FA anymore than what they already have.

We'll see Flacco contracts more often than not now.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Just as long as we do a better job when we extend contracts is all that matters to me. We need to be more judicial and draft better accordingly.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information